Visionary Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Krake

Visionary Era

Post by Krake »

Hi!

I have made an era and would like some feedback on it. It is yet a beta version so it's not complete. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I also need some help making the graphics since I am no artist. Thank you!

Krake
StDrake

Re: Visionary Era

Post by StDrake »

It's..funny, interesting and unique..and very hard to judge in balancing terms. Seems like some factions have an upper side against certain others while a weakness towards another one..

I find it a little strange though why neva starts recruiting at lev2, and in that case - why is the leader not lev3.
and some units 'gravel' attack is missing its icon
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Krake

Post by Krake »

Neva leader is level 2 so that all leaders have the same level at start. Neva units is level 2 because they are all grown trolls and as such powerful as level 2 units. I don't think it would make sense if a troll and a human had approximately the same strength. On the other hand I don't think this is a problem since you can't buy as many units with the neva, but it's a beta so if it seems to be too unbalanced I might change it.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It's plenty easy to judge in balancing terms on some maps as only one faction has the 8 mp units that maps designs are based on.

The entire era concept seems destined to be unbalanceable to me. I think that you could make it so that 2vs2s are enjoyable but for 1vs1s the overall idea will tend to run into the problem mentioned in Crackfields recent thread on suggestions for mainline balance except to such an extreme extent that it would not be fun. Barring map balancing issues caused by the discrepancies in mobility I suspect that 1vs1s will generally follow rock paper scissors type balance scheme which is not as strategically satisfying as standard wesnoth.

There are a few interesting unit concepts.

I would complain about there only being ~3 units per faction except that since almost every unit in many of the factions would fill a similar role if grafted into a typical faction it feels like there is little point to adding more.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Krake

Post by Krake »

Indeed Velensk has made a good analysis. I only made a few units per faction because I don't like to have 10 or more different units to recruit, many which would fill somewhat the same role. However it seems having so few units makes the era much harder to balance since their will be capability gaps so to speak. Perhaps I could add one or two units per faction and make the theme of each faction a little less extreme.
Krake

Post by Krake »

Just thought I'd drop in and say that the era is now significantly updated. There are still a few details to fix, however.