Age (Era of civilization) - v0.1.4.8g (up 13-09-10)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Medalikarz

Age (Era of civilization) - v0.1.4.8g (up 13-09-10)

Post by Medalikarz »

My project was on the Polish forum wesnoth.com.pl, and my teacher at the beginning of the additive was inferno8(Era of Magic).

Games Rules:
I. You start at the same epoch.
II. The commander gets the experience for each unit recruited.
III. After a commander promotion you go to next era.
IV. Free hero is the only one epoch. They are distinguishable by elipse.

Some about Age:
We have seven periods, plus one hidden. Addion have about 250 units, including about 30 special characters. Each epoch-hero changes the list of individuals recruited, and his choice at the beginning of the era can determine the winner.
Attachments
Age0.1.4.1.rar
(1.72 MiB) Downloaded 1406 times
Last edited by Medalikarz on September 13th, 2010, 9:14 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Medalikarz

Re: Age (Era of civilization) - v0.1.4.1 (up 01-09-10)

Post by Medalikarz »

Age as of today the list of additives. Age 0.1.4.2 with minor adjustments of errors and omissions.
wesfreak

Re: Age (Era of civilization) - v0.1.4.2 (up 02-09-10)

Post by wesfreak »

Overall, this era is awesome! The balance is a little wierd though, and also there are a few bugs:

The biggest bug is that for a few of the units that don't have advancements have a regular xp bar rather than an after maximum level xp bar, and don't level when they reach the maximum xp. Instead the xp bar just shows 12/9 or something similar.
Some smaller bugs: I got a private that had the strong trait and the weak trait, the leader for age of crusades has 90% defence in water and flamethrowers should do fire damage, not pierce damage.

For balance: Maybe the units that you recruit that start off as strong as a lvl 2 and cost as much as a lvl 2 should be lvl 2's? Like templars and walker crusaders. (as well as the heroes that cost 0 gold)
Also, there are alot of very similar units in some of the ages. It's o.k. to have units that are similar, of course, like the cavalryman and the horseman in default, but all of these units do the same thing, while cavalrymen and horsemen have very diffferent uses.
For example: There are three different kinds of tanks in the age of tanks, and in the previous age there were three different cannons and at least 4 shooters, depending on which hero you chose (grenadier, conscript, partizant, pirat, capitan and scotish gunner) that were all had very little differences. You don't need to get rid of all of them, but maybe change some of them, or make them into advancements for other units.. For example, give the grenadier just a grenade attack and no gun attack, or maybe get rid of it and give a grenade attack to one of the conscripts advancements. (and you could make the scottish gunner weaker, less expensive and a lvl 0 that advances into a conscript)

Also, you said there were 7 ages but only 4 were playable: the game starts out at age of crusades instead of tribal age.
Medalikarz

Re: Age (Era of civilization) - v0.1.4.2 (up 02-09-10)

Post by Medalikarz »

Repaired:
The biggest bug is that for a few of the units that don't have advancements have a regular xp bar rather than an after maximum level xp bar, and don't level when they reach the maximum xp. Instead the xp bar just shows 12/9 or something similar.
Some smaller bugs:I got a private that had the strong trait and the weak trait, the leader for age of crusades has 90% defence in water and flamethrowers should do fire damage, not pierce damage.
I know about private, it is expedient.
For balance: Maybe the units that you recruit that start off as strong as a lvl 2 and cost as much as a lvl 2 should be lvl 2's? Like templars and walker crusaders. (as well as the heroes that cost 0 gold).
In this age is very important to the economy, buying more expensive units is often not viable. Giving the unit the first lvl increased their usefulness. Of course, I could do it cheaper and provide better levels, but I put it above written.

Also, there are alot of very similar units in some of the ages. It's o.k. to have units that are similar, of course, like the cavalryman and the horseman in default, but all of these units do the same thing, while cavalrymen and horsemen have very diffferent uses.
For example: There are three different kinds of tanks in the age of tanks, and in the previous age there were three different cannons and at least 4 shooters, depending on which hero you chose (grenadier, conscript, partizant, pirat, capitan and scotish gunner) that were all had very little differences. You don't need to get rid of all of them, but maybe change some of them, or make them into advancements for other units.. For example, give the grenadier just a grenade attack and no gun attack, or maybe get rid of it and give a grenade attack to one of the conscripts advancements.
For now, mainly working on the first five periods, but I have big problems with the improved era of magic.
The last two need a period of many changes and I know that, but thanks for the part of the comments were very helpful tips
The last two ages need many changes and I know that, but thanks for comment.

As for the Scots, look at the wolfs and snikes in first era. Giving unit 0 lvl is not well for balance in this addition.

Age upgrate in adds 0.1.4.2->0.1.4.3
Medalikarz

Re: Age (Era of civilization) - v0.1.4.3 (up 07-09-10)

Post by Medalikarz »

Hidden Age-Nation in Game
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

if you still need heroes for the modern age, then just run a google search on epic war heroes: there are plenty.

Are you going to make another version where you start off at age of magic instead of age of crusades to make all of the eras accessible?
Medalikarz

Post by Medalikarz »

Are you going to make another version where you start off at age of magic instead of age of crusades to make all of the eras accessible?
You never access Hiddens Age-Nation ;). It's alternative way in game only. Player's can select age when they want start, but I not recomend that. Unbalance can be to large.
if you still need heroes for the modern age, then just run a google search on epic war heroes: there are plenty.
Now I chacking alternative AMLA ;) but THX i check epic war.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

actually, you can't select the age you start in. currently the only faction option is age of crusades, meaning age of magic, age of heroes and age of power are unplayable. You also can't get age to age of crusades 2, since you access it through age of power (I think).
Medalikarz

Post by Medalikarz »

How it can't be? I run download age in "clear wesnoth client" and I can check Age(of Magic, of Heroes, of Power and others)...

You download Age 0.1.4.3 with add's?

You can't get Age of Crusades in start, it's only option when king are upgrade level (past: age of Power).
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Yes, I just updated the add on and age of crusades is the only faction choice and prince is the only leader choice. You can't get to age of magic, of heroes or of power. (but you can see age of magic, heroes and power in the descriptions list, if you used the discover command to find them. So they exist, they just aren't playable.)
Medalikarz

Post by Medalikarz »

Someone have this problem too? Pls Check.
Medalikarz

Post by Medalikarz »

wesfreak use you linux? upgrade 0.1.4.5 i thing I find error/bug
wesfreak

Re: Age (Era of civilization) - v0.1.4.5 (up 10-09-10)

Post by wesfreak »

Yes, I have ubuntu 10.9, the latest version. I probably should have mentioned that before. I downloaded the update and the bug is gone.

Minor bug: you should probably change the recruitment pattern of the ai for age of tanks, it mostly recruits mechanics, healers and tanks. Try changing the "usage" part of some of the units, like private, or sluzby specjalne to fighter, and making mechanics usage healer.
Medalikarz

Re: Age (Era of civilization) - v0.1.4.5 (up 10-09-10)

Post by Medalikarz »

I do it in next version. Extra, I give Howitzer ability to stop flying skirmishers.
EDIT: version 0.1.4.6
-upgrade AI in Age of Tanks
-new abillity for all swiming units
-some extra ;)
IPS

Re: Age (Era of civilization) - v0.1.4.6 (up 11-09-10)

Post by IPS »

I have played once the era with my friend Leid. He did picked Age of power and I did picked age of tanks (I suspected the age of tanks is the most poweful) and we did start. I bought only some soldiers and a light tank and he did surrended because he told my age is more powerful than his age. After I had said to him "I think, this era must be played in the same age for balance, not in different ages) and he thinked a bit and he said me was right with that.

So, if you will play the Age era, I suggest to you to all the players pick the same age for balance. The idea is nice, and it does like balanced, but I need to test it more to have a better critic ;)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide