The Mystic Age

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

firefox

The Mystic Age

Post by firefox »

welcome to the Era of Avalon demo thread! :D

:eng: i'm creating the Era of Avalon, i will do this in 3 steps:

1st step: 6 factions with 5 units (scout, fighter, archer, mage, mixed fighter; one advancement line for each unit) [demo]
- Nomades (human and jinn)
- Northerners (orcs, trolls and goblins)
- Wood Elves (elves and nature spirits)
- Dark Elves (dark elves and dark nature spirits)
- Loyalists (human empire)
- Knalgans (dwarves and outlaws)

2nd step: more advancements for each faction [version 1]

3rd step: more units for each faction [version 1.1, 1.2, ...]

then i will refresh some images and what ever i have to do ...

here is the first demo version: demo 0.1 :arrow: you find it on the add-on server

it contains the Nomades faction (step 1)
Nomade Grand Knight.png
Last edited by firefox on August 10th, 2012, 6:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
may the source be with you
=(^.^)= nyan~
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Era of Avalon (demo)

Post by Velensk »

This post may sound a touch hostile. Know that it is not intended that way.

I would strongly advise against the approach to faction design you are taking. It would be best to work out all the units a faction has before you start. I would also generally advise against the start with fighter, archer, scout, mage, mixed fighter approach. Although many/most factions will end up with one of each of the above it is in no way requisite or even inherently desirable. I would instead work on an idea of what the factions theme is and what it should play like and figure out what units it should have to create that effect from there. Some factions may not ever require a mixed fighter, or may be more thematic if you don't include a mage. I would suggest that due to the mainline maps at least one 8mp unit and one unit that can control water are needed for just about any faction but other than that there is a much greater variety of workable and interesting options out there than you can access by using that formula.

The name 'Avalon' will point many peoples minds at the Arthurian legends. Your faction does not seem especially themed toward these legends as such I would see if you could find a better name.

I would also avoid using the mainline names for factions unless you are using the faction itself (which may be the case here). There is already a wood elf faction in existence.

EDIT: Also as a note: I find it strange that the sandstorm/djinn use the smallfoot move type, shouldn't they be flying?
EDIT2: On the same line, camel riders use the same movetype as elvish fighters for some reason. I think that you misunderstand the [defense] tag. When you say forest=40 you are not saying that you have 40% defense, you're saying that you have a 40% chance to dodge (60% defense). Confusing I know but it should probably be fixed.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
firefox

Post by firefox »

The name 'Avalon' will point many peoples minds at the Arthurian legends. Your faction does not seem especially themed toward these legends as such I would see if you could find a better name.
done. now the name is 'The Mystic Age'. 'Era of Avalon' was only an idea for an other era, i wrote the wrong name ... :oops:
I find it strange that the sandstorm/djinn use the smallfoot move type, shouldn't they be flying?
the djinn does not really fly like the other flying units. he can't fly over trees or mountains so he move slower there and he can't move on unwalkable terrain. his magical element is fire so his weakness is water, he moves very slow over waterand have only 20% defense.
the sandstorm doesen't really fly and he needs sand under his 'feet' to move, so he is slower in water, forest and mountains.
camel riders use the same movetype as elvish fighters
the camel riders use nearly the same movetype as the elvish scouts.
the difference to the elves is that the camel riders have +10% defense on sand and -10% defense on mountains.
=(^.^)= nyan~
firefox

The Mystic Age

Post by firefox »

:eng: now the era's name is: The Mystic Age
(i will tell the story when version1 is finished)
=(^.^)= nyan~
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

firefox wrote: the camel riders use nearly the same movetype as the elvish scouts.
the difference to the elves is that the camel riders have +10% defense on sand and -10% defense on mountains.
Seems like a very odd choice for a camel rider. They aren't forest creatures at all. I'd think a horse movetype with a bonus in desert and ability to access mountains would be more fitting but as you will.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
firefox

Re: The Mystic Age (demo)

Post by firefox »

ok, i gave them hills = 50% and forest = 40%.
now the difference to the elves is that they have +10% in sand and -10% in forest, but i did not uploaded it on the server.
the next update will be demo 2.
=(^.^)= nyan~
firefox

demo2 60% ready

Post by firefox »

demo2 is 60% ready. :)
it contains the wood elves faction. at the moment they are similar to the rebls, but i will change that later.
when demo2 is ready i will start programming the 'dwarves+outlaws faction', called 'Rune Guardians'.

:eng: now i need a good name for the wood elves.
if you have any suggestions, post them here.
=(^.^)= nyan~
firefox

Post by firefox »

ok, now i have a good name for every faction:

Alchemists (nomades)
Children of Gaia (wood elves)
Rune Guardians (dwarves and outlaws)
Empire (human)
The Tribes (orcs)
Astral Masters (dark elves)
=(^.^)= nyan~
firefox

Re: The Mystic Age (demo 0.2)

Post by firefox »

demo 0.2 is available!

- new faction: Children of Gaia
- changed faction name: Nomades -> Alchemists
- changed unit names: Nomade Fighter, Warrior, Warlord -> Alchemist Fighter, Warrior, Warlord
- changed attack type of the rhami line: arcane -> impact
- fixed defense of Camel Rider (it had the wrong values)
Last edited by firefox on September 19th, 2011, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
=(^.^)= nyan~
IPS

Post by IPS »

In what add on server is it? in 1.8.x or 1.9.x? It likes interesting :)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
firefox

Post by firefox »

it's in 1.8.x

info: the next faction will be 'The Tribes'
=(^.^)= nyan~
firefox

Post by firefox »

YAY! :D

after a long time demo 0.3 is released. (i'm very lazy and just writing unit files is very boring.)

it contains the "The Tribes" faction.
new things: :eng: lvl3 assassin, orcish shaman
sage.png
the "Rune Guardians" are next.
=(^.^)= nyan~
firefox

Post by firefox »

i will stop uploading for now.
playing the demo version is boring, the next upload will be the complete version.
until then this topic is used to inform about the progress and new stuff.

news update:
the old scripts from 1.8 do not work on 1.10. i have to rewrite everything.
by the way i will make each faction basically complete and rework some unit-stats.
=(^.^)= nyan~