Dungeon Keeper Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JasonVoorhees

Dungeon Keeper Era

Post by JasonVoorhees »

Hello. I'd like to create a new era with characters/units from the old game called Dungeon Keeper. I've got graphics and concept, but it's difficult for me to get started. There is outdated guide for creating factions. Existing factions are so expanded so it's difficult for me to understand basics. If someone wants to help then I need for example very simple era with one or two factions (Dungeon Keeper Era would contain factions like: Heroes and "Keepers"). Maybe someone would like to cooperate and write the whole WML code and I would do the graphics?
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Re: Dungeon Keeper Era

Post by Zerovirus »

Gambit wrote:Indeed. The forums are overflowing with, these and this is only five months.
And that's only a tiny tiny fraction of them. I just went through all the threads of factions I didn't know about and checked every third one. Only like one or two per month had any real work done...
Do you have any work? We have had enough unfinished works laid to rest already.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Also: Isn't this game copyrighted?
JasonVoorhees

Post by JasonVoorhees »

fog_of_gold wrote:Also: Isn't this game copyrighted?
I think 13 years for the game distribution is enough ;)
Zerovirus wrote:
Gambit wrote:Indeed. The forums are overflowing with, these and this is only five months.
And that's only a tiny tiny fraction of them. I just went through all the threads of factions I didn't know about and checked every third one. Only like one or two per month had any real work done...
Do you have any work? We have had enough unfinished works laid to rest already.
I know it's a little lame. I'm a programmer, but WML files are hard to understand for me. Maybe I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of the details in the existing files (of other eras).... I think that the Developers of Wesnoth should put a little era example somewhere in wiki just as the base for greater creation. Is there someone who would create example like that, or someone who already has got something like that?
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

there are the tutorials in the create part of forum. I actually have a template for unit creation, but i'm not the best or most experienced coders and I can't help you with much else. Also, the template isn't exactly the same as the default one. You'd probably be better off looking at the default unit, faction and era code, or that of an add-on.

(skirmisher and magical are my example abilities)

Code: Select all

#textdomain wesnoth-blank_Era

[unit_type] 
    id=
    name= _ “ ”
    race=
    image=
    {MAGENTA_IS_THE_TEAM_COLOR} 
    level=
    alignment=
    experience=
    advances_to=
    {AMLA_DEFAULT} 
    hitpoints=
    movement=
    movement_type=
    cost=
    usage= 
    description= _" "{SPECIAL_NOTES}

[abilities]
        {ABILITY_SKIRMISHER}
    [/abilities]

[attack] 
        name=
        description=_""
        icon=
        type=
        range=
	[specials]
            {WEAPON_SPECIAL_MAGICAL}
        [/specials]
        damage=
        number=
    [/attack] 

[/unit_type]
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

WML is meant to be easy. If you have time, you should be able to learn the basics in one day. The wiki is helping here a lot, but even better is the folder "core" and "campaigns" in the folder "data".
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

JasonVoorhees wrote:
fog_of_gold wrote:Also: Isn't this game copyrighted?
I think 13 years for the game distribution is enough ;)
I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that is dangerous thinking. Copyrights can last many decades.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright#Copyright_term
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

No, 13 years is really not enough. Dungeon Keeper may well be abandonware, but that does NOT mean it's out of copyright. It's not. Any attempts to develop add-ons based on copyrighted material are not permitted on the forums, and will be removed if uploaded to the server.

Thus, locked.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.