Era of Four Moons

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

AlaskanAvenger

Re: Era of Four Moons

Post by AlaskanAvenger »

I'm not that great of a player, but I'd love to do some testing over the next month.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The wescamp.py script (which extracts the translatable strings from your campaign, as you've set translatable to true in your PBL file) gave me the following output:

Code: Select all

[WARNING 2014-04-11 13:04:12,957]
pot-update in addon Era_of_Four_Moons:
expected closed node 'top' got 'specials' at ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/hex.cfg:17 at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 179, <FILE> line 17.
WML seems invalid for ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/hex.cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
expected closed node 'top' got 'abilities' at ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/abilities(extended).cfg:39 at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 179, <FILE> line 39.
WML seems invalid for ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/abilities(extended).cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
expected closed node 'top' got 'abilities' at ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/shifter.cfg:18 at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 179, <FILE> line 18.
WML seems invalid for ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/shifter.cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
expected closed node 'top' got 'specials' at ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/abilities.cfg:154 at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 179, <FILE> line 154.
WML seems invalid for ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/abilities.cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
expected closed node 'top' got '{COND}' at ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/general_utils.cfg:280 at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 179, <FILE> line 280.
WML seems invalid for ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/general_utils.cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
The problem here is the unbalanced tags in the macros. You can get wmlxgettext to accept them using # wmlxgettext: comments, as you can see in the feeding ability in core/macros/abilities.cfg
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Just a couple quick questions to help me understand before I set about to fix it.

The purpose of this is to get Era of Four Moons to where it can be translated if I understand correctly. I have no real understanding of this process. Is there anything else I'll need to do to prepare EoFM for this.

By unbalanced tags are you talking about things like using a [/abilities] [+abilities] tags or am I misunderstanding.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Velensk wrote:The purpose of this is to get Era of Four Moons to where it can be translated if I understand correctly. I have no real understanding of this process. Is there anything else I'll need to do to prepare EoFM for this.
Yes. The wescamp script downloads add-ons with translatable=true, uploads them to a repository on the wescamp organization on github, and then uses various scripts to extract the translatable strings into PO files.
These can then be found on http://gettext.wesnoth.org, where translators can download them, translate them and send them to their translation's maintainer or to the wescamp admins (which is just me at the moment) directly.
From these PO files, MO files can be generated (like here), which, if included with the add-on, cause the translation to actually work in-game.
Currently the process of including it (which should really be documented better), is copying everything in that translations directory into your add-on before you upload a new version to the add-on server. A future plan is to make them automatically get streamed onto the client in some manner.
By unbalanced tags are you talking about things like using a [/abilities] [+abilities] tags or am I misunderstanding.
Yes. wmlxgettext keeps track of the tags so it can provide context for the translators. If the tag tree seems broken (because the closing tag it encountered doesn't match a previously opened tag, or there's a tag left open at the end of the file), it complains about it. (wmllint also does this, when you run it)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I uploaded a version where that should all be fixed. If you still run into a problem just let me know.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The number of errors has gone down, but there are still two present:

[WARNING 2014-04-14 11:24:33,584]
pot-update in addon Era_of_Four_Moons:
non-empty node stack at end of ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/abilities.cfg at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 203, <FILE> line 784.
WML seems invalid for ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/abilities.cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
expected closed node 'top' got '{COND}' at ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/general_utils.cfg:280 at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 179, <FILE> line 280.
WML seems invalid for ./Era_of_Four_Moons/macros/general_utils.cfg, node info extraction forfeited past the error point at /home/ai/bin/wmlxgettext line 210.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

So I fixed the bug in the abilities.cfg but I'm a little stumped by the other one.

The troublesome code is this:

[{COND}]
        hits=no

direction={DIR}
        [frame]
            begin=-300
            end=-200
            halo=halo/lightning-bolt-{VARIATION}-1.png

halo_x,halo_y={HALO_X},{HALO_Y}

sound=lightning-miss.ogg
        [/frame]

[frame]
            begin=-200

end=-100

halo=halo/lightning-bolt-{VARIATION}-2.png

[/frame]

[frame]
            begin=-100
            end=0

halo=halo/lightning-bolt-{VARIATION}-4.png
        [/frame]
        [frame]
            begin=0
            end=100

halo=misc/blank-hex.png
        [/frame]
    [/{COND}]
I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to tell it to make it not complain.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

It looks like this is the same issue as this one, which means it's probably a bug in wmlxgettext.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

As such is so, I've uploaded a version with the other fix. As soon as wmlxgettext is working it should be ready for you.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I finally was able to release the campaign I mentioned.

Swamp Witch Curse has it's own thread in scenarios/campaigns development.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I released a patch that fixes the swamp witch's decay ability so that it doesn't set the resistance cap at 0%

Also, for the development version I made some changes to the Whites warder. I made him a bit more like the other white units. Instead of being an elusivefoot he now uses the factions movetype save that he has 60% defense in villages and castles (very high by the factions standards) and he now has decent hp. This is mostly a change to help things be more intuitive but to still give him a defined role in the faction.
SSDP

Post by SSDP »

Hey there.

Fantastic era. It has become default within my small group of wesnothian friends. We all agree that the emphasis on naval combat and truly varied units is a clean and refreshing break. One simply cannot anti-faction spam in the same way as default era, which makes for more interesting gameplay.

I typically roll highlanders, and after many battles the only balancing suggestion I have would be to nerf runners in some way. Their 60% village defense sets them apart from the scouts of the other factions, while still being cheaper and just as fast. They obviously still suck in most combat situations, but i'd recommend either giving them 7 moves or increasing their gold cost.

Thanks for making such a great era. I'll try to remember to save my replays :doh:
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Glad you apprecaite it.

I am aware that runners give extremely good value for their cost. I may nerf them next patch but it may take awhile for this patch to happen. I'm hoping I can wait for the art for the Whities to be done (I don't have a lot of control over this though).

Replays always help.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

So, as of just a few minutes ago, all of the units for Era of Four Moons have base sprites.

I have not made any balancing changes recently as I haven't gotten to play much Era of Four Moons in the past year and have been to busy working on Argentum Age to push far for it. I am still interested in this project and if anyone wants to play it with me, that could be arranged but if you're just passively watching I wouldn't expect it to advance very rapidly at all.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

By looking stun code I suspected that when used it gives zoc to elephants, and test showed that it indeed does.

Fixed with

[filter_wml]
	zoc=no
[/filter_wml]