Wesnoth Forum Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

monochromatic

Re: The Wesnoth Forum Faction

Post by monochromatic »

Back! Apologies for such a long absence - the past week has been crazy. I finally and can get to work on this.
Dixie wrote:Another idea to limit the number of major upgrades could be:

M = Max number of Major upgrades a unit can have at any time.
m = number of minor upgrades a unit has already picked.

M = m/2 + 1

That way, the first upgrade can be a major, and a unit needs to pick two minors before being allowed another major. Or one could just stack minors if one wished, for whatever reason.
Fine by me. Though I may want to make it M = m/3 + 1 for a particular unit or something.
Pentarctagon wrote:out of curiosity, are the AMLAs going to be generic AMLAs used by everyone, or are they going to be more tailored to the specific unit or unit types?
Preferably specific. Each unit has a different role, thus AMLAs will be adjusted to that. For ex:
Suppose there were 2 units: a rogue-like unit that has 29 base hp and a tank unit that has 35 base hp. The minor hitpoints AMLA for the rogue would be something like +2/3 hp, and the tank would get maybe +5 hp. It really depends on role.

I currently need sprites for:
ancestral
dipseydoodle
Rei2

I need descriptions from:
ancestral
Battlecruiser_Venca
dipseydoodle
Elvish_Hunter
Hulavuta
IPS
Lightfighter
monochromatic
Moribund
ParadiseCity
Qazerowl
Rei2
shadowmaster
Stern
zookeeper

I'm considering a name change. TWFFE (The Wesnoth Forum Faction Era) doesn't really fit anymore since we have more than one faction now! Here are some name change possibilities:
(The) Wesnoth Forum Factions Era
(The) Wesnothian Era
(The) Wesnoth Forumites Era
(The) Era of Wesnothians
(The) Era of Wesnoth Forumites

(Yes, we're definitely going to drop the 'The' officially.) Thoughts, go!
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

maybe just (The) Wesnoth Forum Era?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Wendek

Post by Wendek »

Me liek "The Wesnothian Era", sounds pretty nice.
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

It definitely needs to include some reference to the forums.
Personally I think "forumites" sounds weird, so I like Pentarctagon's suggestion: (The) Wesnoth Forum Era.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Agreed with Wrathbow (and Pent, incidentally)
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Captain_Wrathbow wrote:It definitely needs to include some reference to the forums.
Personally I think "forumites" sounds weird, so I like Pentarctagon's suggestion: (The) Wesnoth Forum Era.
Lemme ask artisticdude and if he agrees this is becoming WFE.
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Agreed with Pentarctagon, Captain_Wrathbow and Dixie; although also The Wesnoth Forum Members Era may be nice (unless in a third version we want to include spambots, forum crashes and similars? :P ).
As my description, you can use the one that I have currently.
Also, can we propose our AMLAs? For example, I may have marksman special on bolas attack as AMLA.
Last but not least, my compliments to both Pentarctagon and monochromatic for their title "upgrades"! :D
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Elvish_Hunter wrote:Also, can we propose our AMLAs? For example, I may have marksman special on bolas attack as AMLA.
Allowed and encouraged! PM me if you feel the need, or I may take an extended discussion there. But do keep in mind (for everyone!): I'm just collecting ideas unless they seem grossly out-of-balance already. Things will start to be different when balancing starts. Which it hasn't yet, because I still need sprites from people (as to get an idea of what kind of unit they will be).
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

monochromatic wrote: I still need sprites from people (as to get an idea of what kind of unit they will be).
An idea would be to give them an ultimatum. Something like: if you haven't submitted your sprite (and optionally your description) by friday (or whenever), the first people to submit sprites for themselves will take your place, and you'll be out of the era.

btw, I suppose the unit "trees" aren't out yet because of this very issue, right?
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Dixie wrote:An idea would be to give them an ultimatum. Something like: if you haven't submitted your sprite (and optionally your description) by friday (or whenever), the first people to submit sprites for themselves will take your place, and you'll be out of the era.
Not quite. I'm not going to pose as tyrant, yet. Not until I get desperate.
Dixie wrote:btw, I suppose the unit "trees" aren't out yet because of this very issue, right?
Yes.
tapik
Code Contributor

Post by tapik »

I think that before any unit specific AMLA we need to discuss roles of all units in factions. e.g. I prefer claws and fangs instead of impact attack. It also determines possible AMLAs and description, too.
My first propose for tapik as a small dog:
- chaotic - possible lycantropy (-50%, +100%)
- fast
- skirmish
- ambush
- few HP, difficult to hit
- medium fangs damage, small range damage (barking ;-) )
- cheap

But I don't know if it is possible (according to the unit role in faction).
Wesnothu ZDAR!
Czech l10n team member
A New Order maintainer
Delfador's Memoirs
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Well given the faction I'm in, I guess I'd be lawful (not that my sprite looks at all lawful :whistle: ). Basically I'd prefer to have a more 'balanced' skillset, like 5-3 dagger/5-3 bow or something similar.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Pentarctagon wrote:Well given the faction I'm in, I guess I'd be lawful (not that my sprite looks at all lawful :whistle: ). Basically I'd prefer to have a more 'balanced' skillset, like 5-3 dagger/5-3 bow or something similar.
Well maybe it can be neutral? A neutral unit or two in a generally more aligned faction is not unheard of (even in mainline). Depends on your role, though: if you're a supporter, it can work, but if you are gonna be the meat of the faction, it fits less.
Tapik wrote:small range damage (barking ;-) )
An idea for an AMLA could be to give barking a special, something like slow, maybe? Or it doubles damage received instead of halving damage dealt? Something along those lines, anyway.
monochromatic

Re: Wesnoth Forum Era

Post by monochromatic »

monochromatic wrote:
Captain_Wrathbow wrote:It definitely needs to include some reference to the forums.
Lemme ask artisticdude and if he agrees this is becoming WFE.
Done. WFE it is.
Pentarctagon wrote:Well given the faction I'm in, I guess I'd be lawful (not that my sprite looks at all lawful :whistle: ). Basically I'd prefer to have a more 'balanced' skillset, like 5-3 dagger/5-3 bow or something similar.
Well to me you looked more lawful than Lightfighter/boru. Well, You can be neutral it you'd like. Sure with the skillset stuff.
dipseydoodle

Re: Wesnoth Forum Era

Post by dipseydoodle »

I'm pretty sure I gave a description of my unit.