Wesnoth Forum Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Wesnoth Forum Faction Signup -Closed

Post by artisticdude »

Off Topic:
Okay, I've added in the last couple descriptions.
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Captain_Wrathbow

Post by Captain_Wrathbow »

elvish_sovereign wrote:
Off-topic, artisticdude and Captain_Wrathbow don't kill me! ::::
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: That made my day. :mrgreen: :wink:
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

--Update--

I've finished wiring in all the units, and so far as I can tell they are all working (technically speaking). I've added the descriptions supplied thus far in the last couple pages of this thread, and I've begun work on an advancement chart that will determine what units advance to what units. Captain_Wrathbow and I will be hammering out the advancement chart over the next couple days, and once that's figured out we will start the preliminary balancing. After we've got it reasonably balanced enough, we'll release it on the add-on server for playtesting. Having never attempted balancing before, I can't say how long it will take, but I'm guesstimating that we should release the first version by the end of this month.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Wesnoth Forum Faction (Signup Closed)

Post by artisticdude »

Okay, the advancement tree is now officially completed, and we're starting to do the preliminary balancing. We plan on completing the balancing process and releasing the era by the end of the month, unless in case of natural disaster, the fall of the internet, the untimely demise of the Wesnoth project, or major RL schedule problems.

Here's the advancement tree (the forum messed up the document formatting, but you get the idea):
Spoiler:
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

10 different starting recruits is quite alot. It gives incredible variety to a faction (and also makes for longer turns because of more decisions). I suggest changing the lines up just a bit so that each different line has a few more branches, and at least 1 less line overall. (for example, leaders could branch off of fighters or archers, dark sorcerers could branch off of magic users or vice versa and hunters could go from fighters or skirmishers). Alternatively, you could leave it this way: it might give a different overall feel to the faction.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

I hope you don't get offended by this, but I think the unit tree is kinda boring... 30 units, 10 lvl1, 10 lvl2, 10 lvl3, every unit has just 1 advancing path, there are no level 4s....no level os either... also, and this is just something in my mind, you don't even have to read it, I always thought about my guy as a scout, a fast unit, rather than a heavy one, although I like the idea of making him a heavy unit.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

I know it mustn't have been been that easy to put all that together, but it is true that there are no scout. And no real unit for water control (be it a flyer or whatnot)... (Although it is hard to tell with just the basic functions grossly outlined like that and no real stat) You may come to find it is lacking while balancing.

Aside from that: ahahah, I am a Lv2 Leader, all fear my wrath! :twisted:
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Whee! I'm a level 3!

What PeterPorty said. Maybe you should jumble the units a little. I don't know, just a suggestion.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Just noticed this too: there's no scout line. (but a few fast unit lines)
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Oooh...I haz request. Can I not have a ranged attack? I think I would like to be just an expert swordsman. Partially, just to be a little different than the mainline Elvish Marshal. And of course, if this doesn't coincide with your wishes, scratch it. :)

EDIT: Awesome!
Last edited by monochromatic on July 15th, 2010, 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Actually, the skirmishers are intended to be scouts... they are fast, have lighter attacks than most units, and can ignore zoc. I don't know how well that would work for a scouting line. :hmm:

As for the very linear advancement: yes, I am quite dissatisfied with that. I'll try and work something out. :hmm:

Working out some descriptions for each line to give a basic idea of their stats and the roles they play.

e_s: I don't think it should be much of a problem to arrange that.
Maramros

Post by Maramros »

To add more variety to the faction, as well as branching unit paths: I'd be happy to be a level 0 that both Magick Users and Dark Sorcerers branch from, if that doesn't crew up your plans too majorly. Kudos on what you've done so far!
Please remember, my opinion is my opinion. Please listen, but my opinion is only, and will never be more than, my opinion. It is not yours. You do not have to act on it. I'm not telling you what to do.
boru

Post by boru »

WML Wizards could be scouts, seeing as there's no such thing in any era before this.

Unless um, you already worked out what WML Wizards will do, in that case, never mind.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Hmmm....took a shot at jumbling the units. This is just a trial. Followed some of the advice here. Recruitable units starred. And of course, scratch if you'd like.

***DISCLAIMER*** This chart has nothing to do with what I think of you. It was created with the utmost objectiveness:
Yeah, so I thought Deusite's sprite was a little too different, so I thought I would be kinda cool if we could recruit like a level 2 or 3 unit. Dunno. I tried to keep the order you had above, but did some jumbling.
Last edited by monochromatic on July 15th, 2010, 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

I suggest moving all the range line up a level
Founding Father of Columbia