Wose Faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Phyreprooph

Re: Wose Faction

Post by Phyreprooph »

Nah I'll get round to that. :D
Everything is edible, some things just aren't good for you.

Current Project: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30104
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

is it just me or does the level 3 cactose have a different shade of green for hisfor head than the rest of his body :?
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

No it's just you. I just looks darker because of the abundance of thorns he has. He could use a bit of lightening up up there and a bit of contrast but still not even sure if he's gonna be there at all.

Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

ok I must need glasses :lol2:

also if you do add him maybe it would be good to put a spike here or there on his face (but obviously not on his features :P )
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

Get ready for some big news everyone...here is an early (early) version of the Wose Era (just the faction itself).

That's right, I started off just doing the Seedling as agreed earlier but then I thought, I'll need the Sapling and Scout units done so it can level into something. Then when I finished those I started getting more ideas until finally the whole faction was made. So here you go.

EDIT: Attachment removed. Look three posts down for the working version.

Various notes and things: I added projectile animations to most of the ranged attacks (maybe all of them, I'm not sure), there are obviously no sprite animations yet aside from the Cactose defend, which I haven't gotten to as I don't know how to extract the defense frame from the .gif Phyreprooph posted. I took the liberty of modifying the unit tree to my preference. I trust that Phyreprooph can modify it back to however the original idea was, but as it's so much farther along than the first unit tree, I decided I had to come up with something if I was going to code the entire faction. I also wrote descriptions for every unit. Any or all of it is up to Phyreprooph to modify/edit/delete, as I said before. This isn't my faction, I just wanted to code it so we at least have a prototype or something to work with.

Also I'm aware that the Cactose line had already been coded. I didn't have access to that code, and didn't want to bug people in order to get it. So I coded the Cactose line too, no big deal. If the old line is better/more balanced/whatever then use that one.

If anyone submits bugs before major updates or edits to this I'll be glad to fix them. The main thing being the Seedling's right-click "Take Root" option which was what started this whole thing to begin with. I would highly recommend that Luke the Flaming be put in the faction credits or wherever is appropriate, as he came up with a way to keep the Seedlings from leveling if the right-click menu isn't chosen by the player (that is, if they level up via gaining experience).

One final note -- I did not draw the Seedling sprite, it's just the magic cloud thingy found in the PM beasts faction, from the BEEM era (or wherever the beasts are originally from).
Last edited by Cybermouse on August 28th, 2010, 1:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
Cybermouse
<:8( )~
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Well for starters for some reason my game won't let me recruit...ANYTHING. I don't think it has anything to do with the add-on but for some reason it won't let me recruit. :? I tried (ctrl + R) and i tried right-clicking but neither worked. The other right-click options work but recruit doesn't. I know it's a bit off topic but can someone help me out here? :|

Because i couldn't recruit i tried to change the faction so that the different units can be chosen as leaders but for some reason they came up as question marks. :? The only ones that had names and pictures were the wose, elder wose and the cactose. Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug? You know, besides not having a recruit function. :P

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Does it do that with default era too? If not, it's definitely cybermouse's code that's got errors in it. Its main likely doesn't recognise its faction files its era or something. You can still try creating the units with debug mode: if that fails too, well the either the units ids are wrong too, either the code is wrong and the game doesn't get to the units.

I know it feels good when you have finished coding a long streak of stuff, but you should never assume it'll be okay and post it ahead. It always has bugs, always, even if they're really minor stuff. And it can be really boring to test a huge batch of stuff at once, and get a huge batch of bugs in return. Moral: test frequently, when there is little added stuff, so that you get little amount of bugs and they're easy to correct. You just coded a new ability? Test it right-away. Added a faction? or even just a unit line? Test it. Etc.

Anyway, just my 2 cents ;) No offense meant.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

Yeah, you're right. Not sure what I was on when I posted this mess. Sorry everyone, I'll get it working.

EDIT: This is what I should have posted earlier. Everything essential seems to work:
Wose_Era.zip
(237.67 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
Another thing I haven't done that I forgot to mention in my last post is the male/female variations for the shrooms, as all the shrooms except the Eye Shroom (I called it the Fungose Shroom) have two sprites each, one for each gender.

Also I had another idea. Currently the Seedling can't level up via gaining experience. I thought it would be cool, though, if it could, but leveled into one of the four units Scout, Sapling, Cactose, or Fungose Spore, based on what kind of terrain it was standing on when it leveled. Here's an example chart:

Terrain --> Advancement
Plains/Forest --> Wose Scout
Desert/Water --> Cactose
Mushroom Grove> Fungose Spore
Anything else --> Wose Sapling

Basically, the same four units you get to choose from when you click "Take Root."
Cybermouse
Phyreprooph

Post by Phyreprooph »

Hmm still doesn't work. Now all the leaders come up as question marks for me. =\ Anyone else having the same problem?

Also, yes it does happen on the default era as well. It doesn't work online or in campaign either. =\ I think i might just download the original game again cause the one i have is hella messed up. =\

Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

I ran wmllint and wmlscope and I'm attaching below the wmlscope log (since the wmllint output is clean), hoping that this will be useful for you.
Wmlscope log:
I also noticed that the images folders contains some Thumbs.db files. These are Windows system files and should be removed: to do this, you need to enable "View hidden files and folders" and "Do not store previews in cache" in Tools - Folder Options in Windows Explorer (to avoid Windows re-creating them), and then manually deleting them (I disabled their creation from several months). While you're here, another good thing to do willl be disabling "Hide extensions for known file types", if you haven't already done this. Sorry if the option names aren't right, but I'm not using an English Windows...
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

Being a software developer, I'm quite familiar with the settings you mentioned. Thanks but I'll keep my settings the way they are (though for the most part, my options are set the same as yours except for the thumbnails/cache). As far as the thumbnails.db files go, I had no idea they would cause problems, so for the next update I'll just remove them from the zip before I send. Much easier than changing settings, especially when I like my settings the way they are. I had already removed the .project and .wesnoth files made by the Eclipse WML plugin.

I ran wmllint myself before testing/debugging and afterwards to ensure I'd fixed all the problems. Wmlscope, however, escaped my notice/thoughts. Also I am aware that the 2nd version also has problems, but I work 9 hour days and have had trouble finding time to get anything done. Now that the weekend is here I can hopefully catch up.

As far as Phyreprooph's problem that's definitely not my code this time. I ran and tested the 2nd version to make sure everything worked. I was able to recruit, see all the unit images, and the Seedling take root option worked exactly as expected. Other than that, I haven't tested anything else. Later today I'll take a look at that wmlscope log and start fixing those issues, and as many more as I can find. Note: I currently use 1.8.3, so I can't verify that it works for any other version/branch, though it should work with any 1.8 release.

EDIT: New version is up. Known issues/things I didn't have time to fix: Cactose line's needle attack projectile animation, Strangler's stone attack projectile animation, Shrooms are missing their "mushroom grove ambush" ability, and Cactose line's "desert ambush" ability doesn't work for some reason. Another quirk is that the Seedlings can level normally somehow. Couldn't quite figure that one out (though they just level back into seedlings, so if Phyreprooph doesn't care I may just leave it that way and raise the XP really high for seedlings). Other than these, all major issues should be fixed.
Wose_Era.zip
(147.73 KiB) Downloaded 541 times
Cybermouse
dragonicwarior

Post by dragonicwarior »

ummm i'm not sure if you have done the shrub's attacks or not, or what they are but if i can make a suggestion(in case you haven't thought if this), i think it's attacks should slow.
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

I made a slowing attack for the Winter Wose, the L2 that levels into a Shaman. (In my version of the unit tree the basic L1 Wose has four choices, one for each of the seasons). Personally I don't think it would make sense for the Shrub to have a slowing attack, but it isn't my faction, so that decision isn't up to me. If Phyreprooph wants it that way, I'll happily code it.

My reasoning for that is the Shrub is a scout. Yes slowing attacks can be good for scouts, but I think it would make a L0 unit a bit too powerful, unless the price was increased, which almost defeats the purpose of wanting a L0 scout to begin with. It doesn't make sense realistically either, because how could a tiny shrub slow anything down that's bigger than it? Which is to say, everything else? The only feasible way I can think of is a "vine trip" attack or something like that, but as we all know shrubs have short, stubby branches, not vines. The most likely outcome of a Shrub trying to slow down anything substantial is for the Shrub to get stepped on and instantly crushed. Remember that L0 units don't even have a ZoC, so they certainly can't stop anything getting past them, much less slow it down.
Cybermouse
dragonicwarior

Post by dragonicwarior »

i didn't realize the shrub was a scout or level 0. When I think of a shrub i tend to think of a thorn bush so i was thinking of the thorns making enemies not wanting to move because of the thorns stabbing into them or something.
Cybermouse

Post by Cybermouse »

I see what you mean, and I have some good news for you. The last I recall, Phyreprooph was still up in the air about the shrub unit, whether to make a unit line out of it, or keep it as a random, single unit. A thorny bush with a slowing attack could be interesting, though in Wesnoth, slowing is usually more of a physical-type attack rather than intimidation, but I think it could still work if you make it a venom-tipped thorn that slows. Though typically poison would be more the avenue for thorn-attack specials, and this faction already has a poisonous line (the sickly/fungus woses).

Good ideas though. They'll just need some more thought. I think a vine-trip attack could work well with say, a taller shrub that might actually have vines, or maybe a creeper-shrub that spreads out on the ground. This is almost related to that kelp thing, which had some sketches posted of it. Maybe we could have the shrub level into the kelp/creeper. (I must have been thinking about Pokemon as I typed that last sentence, because I almost typed "evolve" instead of "level")
Cybermouse