War of Legends [MP Era for Wesnoth 1.16/1.18]

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: War of Legends [MP Era for Wesnoth 1.10+]

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

adr3n wrote:whats new in 1.0.8? :hmm:

Code: Select all

version 1.0.9 (not uploaded yet, still working on it)

Aragwaithi:-

---> New updated graphics.

Sylvans:-

---> +1 MP for Faerie Sprite/Fire Faerie/Faerie Dryad/Faerie Spirit
---> alignment of Faerie Spirit changed from lawful to neutral.

Misc:-

---> New Portrait for Warrior/Captain/Warmaster
---> Fixed typing errors in various files

version 1.0.8

Outlaws:-

---> Naga Hunter ranged attack -poison +precision
---> Naga Marksman ranged attack -poison +precision

Dark Legion:-

---> Added Naga-Guardian line as recruits instead of Naga Fighter line
---> Dark Bowman +1 cost

Aragwaithi

---> Guard +10% blade resistance
---> Shield Guard +10% blade and pierce resistance

Campaigns:-
---> Added the Orcish Nightblade from The Legend Begins (made by sleepwalker)
---> Added Nagini Mage. (From Skyone's Return of the Monster)

---> Updated CREDITS
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

I have uploaded a new version in the 1.10.x add-on server. As for 1.11, there are a lot changes that need to be made before I can upload so, it's gonna be a while...

version 1.1.0

Eras:-

---> New era: Core Legends Era (for the six original factions of Great Legend Era)

Aragwaithi:-

---> New updated graphics.

Sylvans:-

---> +1 MP for Faerie Sprite/Fire Faerie/Faerie Dryad/Faerie Spirit
---> alignment of Faerie Spirit changed from lawful to neutral.

Undead:-

---> New portrait and base image for the Dread Lich (courtesy of Sleepwalker)
---> New portrait for Demi-lich (Thanks Valkier!) 
---> Death Baron +3 cost

---> New Portrait for Warrior/Captain/Warmaster
---> Fixed typing errors in various files
---> Fixed cursed image status and overlay not showing in game.
---> Added AI functions to allow better usage of jinx weapon special
gooby

Post by gooby »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
Konrad2 wrote:hi, i would like to know why "divine light" is a fire attack and not an arcane attack
The only unit using that attack is the Prophetess. The unit already has an arcane range attack, thus that attack is set as fire
note: earth recuperation does not work with "frozen mountain", "frzen hill", "Rockbound Cave (hill, cave)"
intended?
Oops...That ability is outdated...I will fix that...
Earth recuperation appears not to work on dunes (hills / sand) either.

Also, earth recuperation and several other traits advertise themselves as healing 5 HP. In fact, they only heal 3. What are they supposed to do? This urgently needs fixing.
SpectralWaltz

Post by SpectralWaltz »

Am I the only one who thinks the Elementals are a mite unbalanced? I've been playing a lot of multiplayer against a friend of mine and I cannot find any factions that can do anything against Razorbird-Sylph rushing since they capture two thirds of the map in the time it takes me to capture one and they're strong enough to give even the average units in most factions a good bit of trouble, to say nothing of the lighter scout units most factions have.

Sorry for being whiny... I'm just a mite frustrated...
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

SpectralWaltz wrote:Am I the only one who thinks the Elementals are a mite unbalanced? I've been playing a lot of multiplayer against a friend of mine and I cannot find any factions that can do anything against Razorbird-Sylph rushing since they capture two thirds of the map in the time it takes me to capture one and they're strong enough to give even the average units in most factions a good bit of trouble, to say nothing of the lighter scout units most factions have.

Sorry for being whiny... I'm just a mite frustrated...
The faction is unbalanced. Perhaps I should either increase their cost or reduce their HP. What do you think?
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Version 1.1.3 has been released. Please update your add-ons. This version fixes a critical bug for 1.11.7.

Players currently playing on Wesnoth 1.10.7, you do not need this update and thus, ignore this post.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Balancing the Southerners in WOL.

Okay, I recently played matches against the Experimental AI in Wesnoth 1.11.7, and I got gamed a few times. The AI is incredibly challenging, but nearly impossible when given an overpowered faction, as is the case here.

Over the course of the MP skirmishes, I noticed a few disturbing things about the faction:
1. It's unbalanced (already stated)
2. The primary fighter unit, the Hunter is quite powerful in both ranged and melee.
3. Mystics are more attack-based, than defensive.
4. The liminal alignment was a bit too much.

Thus, I made a list of the all the possible changes I could make to the faction, and I am posting them here as I want to read what the players perceive of these changes:
The Suggestions

This is a document where I have written the ideas I had for the Southerners faction, which is momentarily unbalanced.

Faction name stays the same.

Rename the southern elf race to 'desert elf.' Southern Elf was too long.

Units:

Level 1              Level 2                   Level 3

Desert Hunter -->    Desert Warrior   -->      Desert Champion/Swordsmaster/Elite Warrior
             \-->    Desert Chieftain -->      Desert Great Chieftain

Desert Archer -->    Desert Marksman  -->      Desert Sharpshooter

Desert Guardsman --> Desert Sentinel

Carapace -->         Gallant Carapace -->      Warrior Carapace

Dust Devil
(custom advancements)

/-->    Desert Druid ->(Optional) Desert Empyrean Sylph
Desert Mystic -->    Desert Fire Priestess --> Desert Fire Sorceress
             \-->    Desert Ice Priestess  --> Desert Ice Shyde

Faction Info:

It is a coalition of the southern nations of Arkenova, excluding the dwarves, minotaurs, mermen and wood elves. The faction is based on both offensive & defensive tactics, making it capable of standing a fair chance against any faction. Timeline is during the event known as the first Arkenovan War.

Unit Statistics:

All desert elves receive 50% defence in sand and forest terrain and the movement penalty is one. They are slower and more vulnerable in icy/snowy terrain, but more agile and better adapted for cave crawling. The dexterous trait is not available to them, but the traits strong, resilient, intelligent, quick, and healthy are observed. Since they are elves, they have a -10% resistance to arcane damage.
(Discussable attribute: Since the desert elves are adapted to the harsh climate of the barren sands, I was wondering if they could be given a +10% resistance to fire and -10% resistance to cold-based attacks.)

1. Desert Hunter:

alignment: lawful
movement: 5
hitpoints: 34
experience: 44
usage: fighter
cost: 15
attacks: 5-4 melee blade sword, 4-2 ranged impact bolas (slow)

2. Desert Warrior:

hitpoints: 55
experience: 85
cost: 30
attacks: 6-5 melee blade sword, 6-2 ranged impact bolas (slow)

3. Desert Champion/Swordsmaster/Elite Warrior: (Still need to decide the name for this one)

hitpoints: 70
experience: 150
cost: 46
attacks: 7-6 melee blade sword, 8-2 ranged impact bolas (slow)

4. Desert Chieftain:

hitpoints: 52
experience: 85
cost: 32
attacks: 8-4 melee blade sword
abilities: leadership

5. Desert High Chieftain:

hitpoints: 64
cost: 47
attacks: 11-4 melee blade sword
abilities: leadership

6. Desert Archer:

alignment: neutral
hitpoints: 31
experience: 48
usage: archer
cost: 17
attacks: 3-3 melee blade short-sword, 5-4 ranged pierce

7. Desert Marksman:

hitpoints: 45
experience: 88
cost: 32
attacks: 4-3 melee blade short-sword, 8-4 ranged pierce (precision)

8. Desert Sharpshooter:

hitpoints: 54
cost: 47
attacks: 5-3 melee blade short-sword, 10-5 ranged pierce (precision)

8. Desert Mystic:

hitpoints: 26
experience: 40
usage: healer/archer
cost: 16
attacks: 4-1 melee impact staff, 7-2 ranged impact mud-glob
abilities: heals +4

9. Desert Druid:

hitpoints: 34
experience: 128
usage: healer
cost: 35
attacks: 6-1 melee impact staff, 7-3 ranged arcane aura-blast (enchanted)
abilities: heals +8, cures
resistances: +10% arcane resistance

10. Desert Empyrean Sylph: (I'm still in doubt whether I should add this unit or not)

hitpoints: 42
movement: 6
usage: healer
cost: 62
attacks: 6-2 melee arcane touch (enchanted), 8-4 ranged arcane aura-blast (enchanted)
abilities: heals +8, cures, illuminates, can fly over most impediments
resistances: +10% arcane resistance

11. Desert Ice Priestess:

alignment: chaotic
hitpoints: 38
experience: 80
usage: archer/mixed fighter
attacks: 6-2 melee blade glaive, 6-4 ranged cold northern-wind (slow)
resistances: +10% cold

12. Desert Ice Shyde:

hitpoints: 50
movement: 6
cost: 48
attacks: 7-3 melee blade glaive, 8-4 ranged cold northern-wind (slow)
abilities: can fly over most impediments
resistances: +20% cold

13. Desert Fire Enchantress:

experience: 80
attacks: 6-2 melee impact staff, 6-4 ranged fire fire-blast (enchanted)
resistances: +10% fire

14. Desert Fire Sorceress:

cost: 48
attacks: 8-2 melee impact staff, 8-4 ranged fire fire-blast (enchanted)
abilities: sustenance (+20% resistances during lawful hours)
resistances: +20% fire

15. Desert Guardsman:

experience: 49
movement: 4
usage: fighter/tank
cost: 19
attacks: 10-2 melee blade sword
abilities: steadfast
resistances: +10% blade, +10% pierce, +10% impact

16. Desert Sentinel:

experience: 100
movement: 4
usage: fighter/tank
cost: 40
attacks: 13-2 melee blade sword
abilities: steadfast, protection (adjacent units gain +20% resistances, depending on level)
resistances: +20% blade, +10% pierce, +10% impact , +10% cold, +10% fire

17. Dust Devil:

No adjustments made to the unit from War of Legends era.

18. Carapace:

No adjustments made to this unit or its advancements from War of Legends era
On a side note, I feel that despite being slow, it's kinda strong and rather hard to kill. Should I weaken him?
Another alternative is to replace this unit with the ever so common Merman Fighter/Merman Hunter/Mermaid Initiate
I eagerly await your replies.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Balancing the Southerners in WOL.

Post by Velensk »

As this is for an alternate era, you should probably post this in that era's thread.

Be warned though, people may have trouble taking your suggestions seriously if you claim you have a hard time against the AI.

If this is about the Desert Elves like the ones used in Under the Burning Sun, I think that everyone knows they aren't balanced for multiplayer. Truth be told, many user made eras don't really balance themselves all that well and some aren't designed for it. The Archaic Era factions were built for a campaign but then somebody bundled them into the Ageless Era without redesigning them and they still keep the mark of what they were before (and thus we end up with a faction whose balance is almost entirely dependent on the amount of water tiles on the map you are playing an a few other things).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Velensk wrote:As this is for an alternate era, you should probably post this in that era's thread.
Can I moderator merged this with WOL's thresh please. Then again, this won't be noticed if I posted this there.
Be warned though, people may have trouble taking your suggestions seriously if you claim you have a hard time against the AI.
I never lost to the default AI, but this new AI is impressively challenging. I need to play a few more games to best this one.
If this is about the Desert Elves like the ones used in Under the Burning Sun, I think that everyone knows they aren't balanced for multiplayer. Truth be told, many user made eras don't really balance themselves all that well and some aren't designed for it. The Archaic Era factions were built for a campaign but then somebody bundled them into the Ageless Era without redesigning them and they still keep the mark of what they were before (and thus we end up with a faction whose balance is almost entirely dependent on the amount of water tiles on the map you are playing an a few other things).
Actually, no. I made an adaptation of them. The current ones are my own ideas, with some of Fabi's suggestions for them. Then I was hoping to revamp the faction to get them to be similar to the Quenoth Elves in EoC. Now, I think it is best if I just kept like this. Do you have any idea on balancing liminal units? (I read your article and I guess it was for lawful/neutral/chaotic units)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I actually don't know what liminal units are. When I was playing before I took my long break there were none. What do liminal units do?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
Velensk wrote:As this is for an alternate era, you should probably post this in that era's thread.
Can I moderator merged this with WOL's thresh please. Then again, this won't be noticed if I posted this there.
Merged together with the era thread.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Velensk wrote:I actually don't know what liminal units are. When I was playing before I took my long break there were none. What do liminal units do?
Well, as far as gameplay is concerned, Liminal units gain a -25% damage penalty at both lawful and chaotic hours, but fight normally during dusk and dawn.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It seems to me like basically you should treat them like the have an alignment but are fearless and don't have a bad time of day (and then stat them using their -25% form as a base). The difference would be that their power phases would be broken up.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Velensk wrote:It seems to me like basically you should treat them like the have an alignment but are fearless and don't have a bad time of day (and then stat them using their -25% form as a base). The difference would be that their power phases would be broken up.
You mean that I should weakened them? The current stats are sort of based of the Khalifate faction, which also has liminal units.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

No. Truth be told I have no idea how strong they are or why. I'm not familiar with the faction. What I was describing was a way to abstract their strength so that you can figure out what needs to be done.