War of Legends [MP Era for Wesnoth 1.16/1.18]

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

War of Legends [MP Era for Wesnoth 1.16/1.18]

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

May I have everyone's attention please. Say hello to:-
War of Legends
The War of Legends is an add-on for the Battle for Wesnoth, a turn-based strategy game. This add-on is a multiplayer era featuring my favourite factions. It is required as a dependency to play some campaigns, namely the Dragon Trilogy, Hero of Irdya Book 1, Sepulchre of Elran, etc.
War of Legends is available on both 1.14 and 1.15 servers, but only the latter is receiving the latest updates at the moment.
Old Post:
Feedback
Feedback is appreciated on unit/faction balancing especially for the Southerners faction.
First Post:
Last edited by Lord-Knightmare on February 19th, 2022, 3:39 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Christheturtle

Re: Great Legend Era

Post by Christheturtle »

If you need any help with the storyline, then send me a PM. :)

And welcome to the forums.
www.turtlenetworking.co.uk - 25% completed. Adding more servers. Looking for volunteers.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Thanks for offering to help but the work is all done.
I just need permission for borrowing graphics and the files.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

Normally it's best to pm the authors of the era (it should say in the add ons list) and ask them instead of posting it on the forums, because not everyone goes on all the forums.
Speedbrain

Post by Speedbrain »

While it is certainly polite to get permission from the authors you listed, it is not mandatory as everything on the server is under the GPL license. You can change what you want, any way you want, without permission. But, like I said, it is more polite to ask permission and to credit those who did the work.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

Thanks
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

The private messages have been sent and waiting for replies.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

The Era is fully balanced but has encountered a problem of uploading.

Every time I press the 'Get add-ons' buttons, this message comes up:

"Remote Host Disconnected" :annoyed:

Is there any alternate ways of uploading add-ons in the 1.8 add-on server? :hmm:

If there is then please notify me at this forum.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That error means that there is something wrong with your pbl file.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Not necessarily. Today I am unable to connect to the add-ons server. I can neither check for updates for the add-ons I have, nor download new ones. Since it's not just me it's probably a problem with the server.
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

The Era is now successfully in the 1.8 server.
Feel free to install and play it.
Please comment on it in this forum.

I'm also thinking to include an RPG era in it. :hmm:
What about you? What are your suggestions on this?
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

OK, I downloaded GLE, and I noticed a few... things...

1. Many files are either bound to the wrong textdomain or not bound to any at all. (See the attached file for details; ignore the complaint about _info.cfg)

2. You are trying to load a directory called scenarios; since no such directory exists, GLE does not load in 1.9.x. Besides, scenarios are not typically included in eras.

3. In the race definition/movetype definition files in units/ that were inherited from IftU and TSL, you kept the INCLUDE_LOCAL lines; INCLUDE_LOCAL is not defined, thus GLE does not load in 1.9.x. Since you don't need INCLUDE_LOCAL, eliminate all of its calls.

4. You organize units images in images/units, yet there are two directories with unit images in images/

5. You preserved the SVN keywords lines in files that were inherited from TSL and IftU... and since I doubt that you are keeping this in an SVN repository, they are useless to you. I am referring to things such as these:
# $Id: animation-utils.cfg 5204 2009-08-26 21:46:55Z shikadilord $

6. The attack descriptions in units that were inherited from IftU and TSL are not marked as translatable.

7. You have a gettext helper file (mainline-strings.cfg), yet it is not loaded; nothing even calls the macros that are contained in it. So, just remove lines 9 through 45, lines 49 and 50, and make all of your units call the macros in that file. As byspel, replace all instances of "_ "bow"" (and the like) with "{STR_BOW}" (do this with any other attack name strings that occur in mainline). By doing this, GLE will be using the mainline translations of these common strings.
Attachments
gle.txt
(18.72 KiB) Downloaded 1864 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

The Era has been removed from the 1.8 server for maintaining.

Note: This era is only compatible for 1.8.1 and later but not for 1.9
And 1.9? That's not even available for download yet. Or is it?

All the errors have been fixed and a balanced version is being ready but needs a few changes.
Many unused graphics and files have been removed.
It only needs the special-notes on some abilities.
IPS

Post by IPS »

The sand daemon in the Dessert elves like a great adition for them ;)

I did liked the era, it's balanced and it haves some new units for some default factions. And nice mix of the Notherners and saurians ;)

I think, you should share your sand daemon with the ageless creator to do more complete that faction, his Dessert elves haves only blade, pierce and low impact atacks and anything magical. With the Sand Daemon, you add them magical atacking unit and more impact atack in the faction and ... a unit what fights good in water (50% def but 3 MP cost, nothing bad)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator

The era is now on the 1.8 add-on server with no more errors, I hope.
IPS wrote:I think, you should share your sand daemon with the ageless creator to do more complete that faction, his Dessert elves haves only blade, pierce and low impact atacks and anything magical. With the Sand Daemon, you add them magical atacking unit and more impact atack in the faction and ... a unit what fights good in water (50% def but 3 MP cost, nothing bad)
I haven't played ageless era for a long time and wasn't aware that the new release had the Desert Elves. You know what, I think I will send a pm to the ageless creator.