Conglomeration

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zedreth

Conglomeration

Post by Zedreth »

Short and simple:

I think someone should compile all of the common and popular era's (With the creators permission) into one large era. It may take a bit of re balancing, but I think it would be great to see some of the major ones all together.
May take up map creation. Wish me luck.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Conglomeration

Post by thespaceinvader »

Ageless Era.

And a bit of rebalancing is something of a MASSIVE understatement. Most of them aren't balanced anyway, and the more factions you have, the more difficult it becomes to balance them.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Remember that many of those factions were designed specifically for a campaign or for a mp match that's not intended to include Default. So the general level/power of each level may be different. For example, the default loyalist spearman has a 7-3 melee firststrike attack with a 6-1 ranged, 36hp, 5mp, 42xp, and costs 14g. The Legionnaire from the Era of Myths, for example, has a 6-3 melee firststrike attack, no ranged attack, 37hp, 5mp, 42xp, and costs 15g. I know it's unfair to balance this way, but I think this shows that the spearman is slightly better than the Legionnaire; better attacks and 1g cheaper at the expense of 1hp. But to up the power of the Legionnaire would require re-balancing the entire faction, and then re-balancing the entire era. And then re-balance that finished product with the other factions. The Celestials (the faction where the Legionnarie is found) I would think would be vastly overpowered against undead because of cheap access arcane and healing.
Zedreth

Post by Zedreth »

Makes sense.
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

And it takes a LONG time to balance factions too. Wesnoth doesn't have the factor of time to consider, being a turn based game, but the default era which has six factions took a while to do. And with each era having at least 6, all mixed together, well you can see where I'm going. One tiny change has to be tested against every other era multiple times, and luck can also give the illusion that a faction is too strong or too weak.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Zedreth

Post by Zedreth »

I understand.