Halflings

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Re: Halflings

Post by IPS »

The marskman in the slingers is really a great idea to balance the overprotection form the villages, Halflings haves like 23 or 24 hp, and them can restore more than a 1/3 of their hp in a village with a 60% of def.

But a slinger hitting 3 strikes deals 9 dammage points, in a armored halfling 6. But the armored one should have bad defenses like the Heavy Infantry to do it more easly to kill.

9-1 from the alchemist like a bit lower than the 1/4 of the dammage to these armored guys, the slingers in dammage/price are better than the alchemist to these guys.

9-1 vs 2-4 marskman (The 9-1 is a bit superior) but the 9-1 cost 13 and the 2-4 costs 8... so the shamans should do 6-2???
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

When I said not to Tolkeinize, I was actually referring to many of the comments from other people here, all asking you guys to change things to make it more like Tokein. Those of you actually designing this have not gone down that path.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

IPS wrote:The marskman in the slingers is really a great idea to balance the overprotection form the villages, Halflings haves like 23 or 24 hp, and them can restore more than a 1/3 of their hp in a village with a 60% of def.

But a slinger hitting 3 strikes deals 9 dammage points, in a armored halfling 6. But the armored one should have bad defenses like the Heavy Infantry to do it more easly to kill.

9-1 from the alchemist like a bit lower than the 1/4 of the dammage to these armored guys, the slingers in dammage/price are better than the alchemist to these guys.

9-1 vs 2-4 marskman (The 9-1 is a bit superior) but the 9-1 cost 13 and the 2-4 costs 8... so the shamans should do 6-2???
First of all, the armor of a heavy infantry has almost no effect on the sling. 10% protections against an attack dealing 3 damage is 2.7 which still rounds up to 3. Second of all, at day when being led by a reeve you're doing allot more than 2-4 damage. At night, a slinger led by a reeve does 3-4 at day 4-4 (the armor does keep it from being 5-4 but that's about it). Combined with skirmisher which makes it so that the halflings can almost always attack the heavy infantry from many hexes.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
IPS

Post by IPS »

Yeah, the slinger are a awesome unit.

Everything with skirmisher is dangerous, and more with marskman.
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
MrSean

Post by MrSean »

This faction reminds me of the halflings in Age of Wonders... eagle riders, slingers (that later turn into rogue analogies), pony-riding cavalry... but it is surprisingly balanced (no swarms of halfling pony rider doom!). I didn't think you could actually balance a small race as an entire faction, but it looks good. Thanks for making it!
(have you ever played Age of Wonders, or am I just confusing everybody?)
mystic x the unknown

Post by mystic x the unknown »

It was me who suggested the units you mention for the faction. I have indeed played Age of Wonders and I think the halflings there were lovely. However, these things have been often associated with halflings in other places, so I think the only real connection would be the eagle. Glad you like it :)
you are not gonna make it
IPS

Post by IPS »

IPS wrote:Frequently in others game, Halflings are asociated with the centaurs and some with some fairies too (only an sugestion)

In a older game, I dont remmind the name of this, I saw a unit named "eagle rider" its an halfling riding an eagle, obviusly its a mele unit. Its strange to thorow a thing in the air mounted in an eagle :P
Yeah I noticed that before, but thanks to remmember the name of that game: Age of Wonders. Also maybe a centaur faction may be a good idea, also they are not very used but that would make your faction more original ;)
Rozard

Post by Rozard »

Why alchemist levels to be a magician?
dosnt alchemists usually try break rules of nature and magic?...
just thinking...
~We go with night to harvest of life~
Creator and maintenancer of A.N.O cult faction,here.
(balacing state)
A.N.O operate in Beyond Southern Hells era,here
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Are you talking real alchemists or fantastic ones?

In either case, generally not. They use the rules of nature and magic to work their marvels. The real alchemists varied from being the earliest chemists and chemical scientists to be con men but the idea that you could turn led into gold was based on observed similarities between the two substances and an incomplete knowledge of what the rules actually are. Fantastic ones vary based on the setting/author but more commonly than not are just a more scientifically orientated magician.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Rozard

Post by Rozard »

Velensk wrote:Are you talking real alchemists or fantastic ones?

In either case, generally not. They use the rules of nature and magic to work their marvels. The real alchemists varied from being the earliest chemists and chemical scientists to be con men but the idea that you could turn led into gold was based on observed similarities between the two substances and an incomplete knowledge of what the rules actually are. Fantastic ones vary based on the setting/author but more commonly than not are just a more scientifically orientated magician.
But still it dosent fit... character that use science to make his chemicals and suddenly he abandon these skills in order to know how to use magic... I thinked that magic would normally end up to be life long study...

And wouldnt it be nice change to not have a mage in a army (almost every army has one now days...)? but instead have a artificial one (you know? use chemials instead bolts of fire...).

But if everyone is okey with this, I dont want start anykind argue.
(balacing state)
mystic x the unknown

Post by mystic x the unknown »

A possible explanation could be the alchemist progresses from the less demanding dealings with chemical/ magical properties of various substances, to the higher level of arcane arts, which would involve mostly dealing with the immaterial.

However this case is meant to be semi-humorous, with the alchemists calling themselves Magicians mostly to aggrandize their higher standing and the aura of mystery surrounding them.
(it's not in the unit descriptions, as there are still none for the level-ups)

The L3 "Great Magician" is still a healer and still uses fireworks/ rockets like he did as L0, though those gain the magical property when the unit turns L1.
you are not gonna make it
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Or it could be that after a certain point they no longer need to rely on the physical qualities of substances to make their tools and can rely solely on their magic.
Rozard

Post by Rozard »

mystic x the unknown wrote:However this case is meant to be semi-humorous, with the alchemists calling themselves Magicians mostly to aggrandize their higher standing and the aura of mystery surrounding them.
(it's not in the unit descriptions, as there are still none for the level-ups)

The L3 "Great Magician" is still a healer and still uses fireworks/ rockets like he did as L0, though those gain the magical property when the unit turns L1.
Aa! If thats the case then Im fine with it, that sounds pretty good actually!
(balacing state)
Lollipopz

Post by Lollipopz »

MrSean wrote:This faction reminds me of the halflings in Age of Wonders...

Me too.
Try playing the demo if you got no full version.
Might give some idea about somewhat more warlike halflings than Tolkien's.
"Neighbour knocked my door at midnight. Instead of sugar he wanted brains. I gave bullets."

Resistance is futile. Ponies will take over the internet.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Tolkiens halflings are plenty warlike when they need to be. Bilbo had an ancestor who invented the game of golf by knocking the head off a goblin king with a club and in the Scouring of the Shire the halflings had little trouble defeating Sauramons minions once they were organised.