Another Newbie with an era question

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

primogenitor

Another Newbie with an era question

Post by primogenitor »

Hello all!

Short question: How to make an era / campaign modify a standard unit?

Long reason: I find the extreme randomness frustrating, so I thought I would make a simple modification. Instead of making X attacks for Y damage, all units will make Y attacks for X damage. So the mean stays the same, damaged just gets bunched towards the middle more. I know this messes with the theme of some units (e.g. Dwarf Thunderer) but I'm not too fussed about that (at the moment).

I've written a short Python script to automatically parse the unit .cfg files and swap them out in copies. That seems to work fine if I replace the core files in the root. But I want it to be in an era so I can turn it on / off easily. I've waded through the wiki to make an era, and it turns up in-game. But still uses the origianl unit .cfg files rather than my modified ones.

What did I miss?

I've attached a version if anyone wants a closer look.

(Im using 1.6.5 on 64-bit Ubuntu Karmic FYI)
Attachments
MoreDice.zip
Broken, but hopefully someone can correct me!
(248.15 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Weeksy

Re: Another Newbie with an era question

Post by Weeksy »

One of the best ways to learn about era-making is to see a working example. Go to the addons server, download some era, and look at the WML code they've got in your userdata folder. You can probably borrow a lot from them, and what you can't, you should be able to piece together. If you are still having trouble, post what you've got in the WML workshop section of the forums, and people will be happy to help you.
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down