Internet Meme Era v 0.0.8

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Hulavuta

Re: Internet Meme Era (Ninja vs Pirate vs Cowboy vs ...)

Post by Hulavuta »

I downloaded the era and played a bit, but...either you are using a misleading name to get downloads, or you aren't sure what a meme is.

No offense, the faction is good, I like it. However, aside from Ninjas v.s. Pirates, it doesn't really seem to be any internet memes that I know.

Maybe you are using the wrong words? I thought memes were like Shoop da Whoop, RickRoll, All your base are belong to us, i herd u liek mudkips, etc.

Perhaps you were just mistaken on what an Internet Meme was?
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well, it is most possible that my name doesn't suit the era as much as it could/should. Even is I think I don,t do too badly at english, it isn't my first language. The name "Internet Meme Era" was chosen base off:

1) I read something about the pirates vs ninjas (on wikipedia maybe? not sure) and they called it an internet meme;
2) The definition of "meme" in some dictionnary that said something like "An element of culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by non genetic means, esp. imitation";

Now, maybe it is misleading. Do you have any suggestion how the era could be called? I don't want to name it "Pirates vs Ninjas Era", which is too straightforward. "Stereotypes Era", maybe? "Cliché Era"? "Thematic Era"? "Outside Wesnoth Era"? Want do you think?

On another topic, I started an art thread to post my works: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29783
I will add the link in the first post too.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

I like Stereotypes era.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Araja

Post by Araja »

I was drawn to Sterotypes at first, but it's a negative-sounding word and some of the units are quite unusual. Maybe Cliche Era or Internet Classics...Something like that.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

How bout cyber punk instead of steam punk. I would look a wee bit better.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

dipseydoodle wrote:How bout cyber punk instead of steam punk. I would look a wee bit better.
Well maybe I must admit I don't have an extensive understanding of what the difference would be in look. Maybe I say steampunk but actually mean cyberpunk? I would mostly want it to look a little more retro than steelhive, for example.

(a few minutes pass) Well actually, I've googled cyberpunk (Example 1, Example 2) and steampunk (Example 1, Example 2, Example 3, Example 4) and I think I prefer the general look and feel of the steampunk ones. What did you have in mind? Do you have any examples?

---

About the Era's name: I haven't decided yet. I'm seriously considering changing it, but I need some more time to think about something nice. Don't hesitate to suggest stuff.
Last edited by Dixie on April 29th, 2010, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Not yet. Steam punk is more old then new. Steam punks use steam powered things. A Simple Steam Train would be an example of a steampunk invention. A super computer would be cyber punk. Also dwarf= Steam punk, alien/human Computer hacker= Cyberpunk. There's also Clockwork technology(clockpunk?). And Electronic stuff(electropunk?). An so on and so forth. Bye the way. That code worked great, and I've uploaded the era. Thanks a lot! :D
lmelior

Post by lmelior »

For the record, I think the Internet Meme Era is an awesome name for this. The only faction that doesn't really fit is Wild West faction...unless you make a "Texas Ranger" unit with a roundhouse kick attack that does 1000 damage to every unit on the map. Obviously that would have balance issues.

The problem with other memes is that they're all probably chaotic - zombies and vampires would also fit.

Also, steampunk is definitely the way to go.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

All my Pirates are called Black.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Is this going in the rite direction?

EDIT: I Forgot to add he file... Here it is.
Attachments
steampunk.png
steampunk.png (1.02 KiB) Viewed 6486 times
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

It needs a visible means of staying up. Legs, jets, wings, magic or sometinh?
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Zigg wrote:It needs a visible means of staying up. Legs, jets, wings, magic or sometinh?
Well I guess your (Dipsey) sprite is unfinished, but I think it's a good start. I say this because of course I figure it would need legs :P If you want, you could perhaps add a pipe with steam at the back, but it's at your discretion. Appart from that, maybe have the eye team-coloured instead of just plain red?

If you want, you can also look at the multiple robot sprites from Chrono Trigger for inspiration. Of course, we can't take them (and I wouldn't want to anyway), but I like their feel in general, if it rings any bell to you.

Also (bis) if you want, you can probably use my art thread for art development of the era's sprites? Your call, anyway :)

Flameslash wrote:All my Pirates are called Black.
Yeah, I know, I hadn't done the name lists yet, but it has been done this week (for pirates at least, ninjas were already done). I will probably do the cowboys' and robots' this coming week, as well as finish the descriptions.

For the records, I have about finished the first big game balance rush for the ninjas. They fare a bit better against some factions (loyalists), a bit worse against others (elves, northerners), but I played multiple matches against myself with all factions, and I think they are not bad. Well the lv1s are, anyway. It's harder to balance the later lvs since they rarely come up in MP fights.

lmelior wrote:For the record, I think the Internet Meme Era is an awesome name for this. The only faction that doesn't really fit is Wild West faction...unless you make a "Texas Ranger" unit with a roundhouse kick attack that does 1000 damage to every unit on the map. Obviously that would have balance issues.

The problem with other memes is that they're all probably chaotic - zombies and vampires would also fit.

Also, steampunk is definitely the way to go.
Well, I kinda think cowboys fit, as I think they often come up in such settings. If if they didn't, I think they quite fit the era, and I like the ideas I've had for them. For other factions, I'm not sure I will do vampires, since they already exist in EoM, but maybe I could add them, because they indeed fit. The same goes for werewolves (Waarg - EoM) and possibly zombies (Undeads - Default). Still, as I said in some earlier post, I am considering either a insect or zombie or mutant faction, which would probably be neutral. Still, if there are too many chaotic factions, I can just switch pirates back to neutral, as they originaly were.
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

I've been playtesting the Ninja vs. Pirates and Ninja vs. Cowboys faction and I just have to say that the Ninja faction is underpowered. They lose in every game. They always get being overrun due to the opponent's lower unit cost vs. the high cost on Ninja units.

Whereas a player with 20 gold could recruit 2 hunters, he could only recruit 1 ninja unit. Also, the knockback ability makes it possible for a unit to only attack once (even when he misses and the caravan/rider attacks and knockback is used). This makes it very hard for a player using the ninja faction to win. Other then that, I think it is one of the best factions I've played in order of upgrades, names, description (it is a new era and most of them don't have descriptions,you however have) and sprites.

Great job but watch the balancing.

I recommend : - lowering the recruit cost for all ninja units
- making them stronger or weakening units of other factions
- adding a lvl 1 unit that is cheaper (10-11 gold) to slow down the enemy when you build up an army/economy.
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm really enjoying this era. Really, really enjoying it. I must confess, when I saw it in the add-ons list, my first thought was 'oh wow, I can't wait to see a unit with a ranged berzerk "Desu" attack', and after my first games I was like 'not what I expected, but equally awesome' :D

Couple of issues with the Wild West faction:

Bug: Cannot recruit Cowpunchers during games!

Balance: Starting with a cavalry leader is IMO overpowered. It's entirely possible to spam wagons and riders and with a cowboy or cavalry just slaughter your way through a Chaotic faction at the start, weather and terrain permitting.

Balance: Mounted unit with 10-2 ranged attack seems to be extremely powerful, especially with a melee attack that will see half of all attackers get stopped in their tracks.

Bug: Knock back seems temperamental. Is it supposed to only work when the unit is defending? Is it intentional that it makes wagon units exceptionally good at holding villages against melee fighters?

Suggestion: Make wagons weak against Fire, and give them Heal +4? (Represents canvas being flammable, and carrying supplies.) Perhaps have two second level units; a gunwagon with a much better ranged attack, and a caravan with Heal +8 & Cure?

Robots faction:

Bug: Kamikaze often does not inflict splash damage.

Pirates faction:

Design: The graphics on the Captain line really do not match their attacks at all. They have axes on the graphic, and harpoons and cutlasses in their stats.
currently contributing art to Internet Meme Era
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

Gwynnedrion wrote: - add a lvl 1 (Ninja) unit that is cheaper (10-11 gold) to slow down the enemy when you build up an army/economy.
How's about a peasant? There's a ready made graphic from Wesnoth itself to draw upon, easy.
currently contributing art to Internet Meme Era