Internet Meme Era v 0.0.8

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dixie

Re: Internet Meme Era v 0.0.4

Post by Dixie »

fog_of_gold wrote: I'm busy because of your/my calculations. But I'm also working for a good description about the half-prooved formula itself. I don't know your math skills but you'll need some. You know what 2²(2^2), 2³(2^3) and 2^-1 means, don't you? -That should the most "complicated" parts. About the excel sheet itself, I'm not sure if you are able to open them. I've got the german version using german commands and the german's ',' for decimals.
Well, I haven't delved really deeply in maths and it's been a while I,ve done some, but I used to handle them quite well back in high school. If I,m not mistaken:

2³ = (2^3) = 2x2x2
so: 2³(2^3) = 2x2x2x(2x2x2) = 8x8 = 64

as for 2^-1, I hesitate between =1 and =0, I'm not real sure anymore.

Maybe I've got all wrong, anyway, no need to turn this into a math course, I guess. I've looked at your files a bit, although not extensively. I'll have more time for this tomorrow.

And there's something I know I wanted to add about some faction's design, but I forgot what it was once again. Dear me. Maybe tomorrow.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Dixie wrote:
fog_of_gold wrote: I'm busy because of your/my calculations. But I'm also working for a good description about the half-prooved formula itself. I don't know your math skills but you'll need some. You know what 2²(2^2), 2³(2^3) and 2^-1 means, don't you? -That should the most "complicated" parts. About the excel sheet itself, I'm not sure if you are able to open them. I've got the german version using german commands and the german's ',' for decimals.
Well, I haven't delved really deeply in maths and it's been a while I,ve done some, but I used to handle them quite well back in high school. If I,m not mistaken:

2³ = (2^3) = 2x2x2
so: 2³(2^3) = 2x2x2x(2x2x2) = 8x8 = 64
right
Dixie wrote:as for 2^-1, I hesitate between =1 and =0, I'm not real sure anymore.[...]
2^(-1)=1/2
and
x^(-y)=1/(x^y)
So it means, every time there's a minus before the y, there's a 'one divided by' added before the result.

Also, make sure, that I don't mean a creature if I'm talking about the unit d, I mean a unit like °F, °C, g, l.
Another important point: You needn't read the whole pdf file. Just the first paragraph is important since this explains the flaws of it.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Sorry to doublepost, but there's an important thing:
I forgot to inlcude the costs of the units. Here's the new, correct excel sheet:
Attachments
lvl3.zip
(14.58 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

RE the zipped IME update. How do I install it, I only found out about IME from the add-ons server and never imported them any other way? I'm using OSX 10.4.11...
currently contributing art to Internet Meme Era
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Go in ~user/library/application support/wesnoth_1.8/data/add-ons and place it there :)

Sorry for the trouble! And happy to hear from you (and to see you are no longer on mac os 9 ;) )

I'm editing for further replies so you can read this quickly...

EDIT:

@ fog_of_gold:

Ok, so I think I get the basics of your calculations. I'll admit it can get a bit confusing, and above all I understand how approximative it is, but I think it still gives a good idea of the average power balance of each units, although it's by playing them that the balance will ultimately be reached. So since I can open you pdfs, could I only change the stats (being careful with the attacks and stuff 'cause of various abilities and stuff), and it would still work? 'cause if I understand your calculations, being able to code them into an excel sheet is another matter entirely, and even though I did already dabble in that a bit in computer classes, I was like 14 years old at the time, and it's kinda far.

---

Anyway, on another note, I'll be starting to think more seriously about the design of the plants and the redesign of the pirates. I already wrote a bunch of stuff about that and it hasn't really changed or progressed yet, as I've been mainly focusing on the codes. I might like to had another line of unit to the cowboys, too, if anyone has any idea about that, cause I don't feel inspired much. If anyone has anything to say about that, I'll be open for discussion, though.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Dixie wrote:[...]@ fog_of_gold:

Ok, so I think I get the basics of your calculations. I'll admit it can get a bit confusing, and above all I understand how approximative it is, but I think it still gives a good idea of the average power balance of each units, although it's by playing them that the balance will ultimately be reached.
That's exactly it.
So since I can open you pdfs, could I only change the stats (being careful with the attacks and stuff 'cause of various abilities and stuff), and it would still work? 'cause if I understand your calculations, being able to code them into an excel sheet is another matter entirely, and even though I did already dabble in that a bit in computer classes, I was like 14 years old at the time, and it's kinda far.[...]
You can change every stat. Be carful that if the power of the first attack in a range gets stronger than the attacks have to be switched. I suggest you to keep slot o to v untouched.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Well for those who aren't following the tech thread: GOOD NEWS!

Operation Dazzle is a great success, at long last! Special thanks go to fog_of_gold.

So, yeah, I'll probably be releasing v0.0.5 on the add-on server tonight.

Cheers, people!
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

What happened to all the images!?! :x
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

They were removed since Dixie didn't want us to believe artwork is finished.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Yeah, well, it's mostly since the art were borrowed from other projects, and that I didn't even ask permission for most of it. Even though they were place holders, it bothered me, the few times some people came to congratulate me with the nice original art, since it wasn't mine. And it was also following the discussion in the Ageless Era thread about fans thinking the work was all mnewton1's. And it's also out of respect for others' work. I figured it was the right thing to do.
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

Erm... is it me, or are the lv1 tanks not recruitable?

Also - is it intentional that the lv1 probe's Tackle is a ranged attack? Assumed it to be a bodily collision...
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Instead of starting a new thread I'll post here.
Attachments
Just a WIP(It need a head and hat). Is it ok?
Just a WIP(It need a head and hat). Is it ok?
trigger-happy-WIP.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 3073 times
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

lindsay40k wrote:Erm... is it me, or are the lv1 tanks not recruitable?

Also - is it intentional that the lv1 probe's Tackle is a ranged attack? Assumed it to be a bodily collision...
Both are unintended, sorry :S I'll fix it, thanks for reporting!

EDIT: both errors are fixed, I sent the new version to the add-on server, sorry again!
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

I'll post this here just incase you loose the PM Dixie

EDIT: You were gonna use it for the cowboy or whatever right... All ya have to do is change the file name if you want to use it.
Attachments
trigger-happy-WIP.png
trigger-happy-WIP.png (1.98 KiB) Viewed 3042 times
lindsay40k

Post by lindsay40k »

As a general thought, have you considered a different name for the era? I must admit, when I saw 'internet meme era' on the add-ons server, I downloaded it because I expected a novelty era with stuff like longcat, rickrolling etc. With the plant and bug factions being considered, the era's going a bit farther than the initial remit of the stock 'who would win...' internet meme (I've never seen a triffids vs pirates debate)... perhaps a name like 'Hollywood cliches' era would be a more appropriate name for the project? Certainly, it would reduce the chances of confusion for players browsing the server list.

PS I've got some initial sketches done of robot sprites in Photoshop 5. Hope to be able to upload them soon... still on the offline DinoMac at home :(