Internet Meme Era v 0.0.8

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dixie

Internet Meme Era v 0.0.8

Post by Dixie »

Internet Meme Era
Or the Pirates vs Ninjas etc. era!
**Post is continually edited to be kept up-to-date**

Do you think the constant internet debates about who would win a fight between a pirate and a ninja, or any other stereotyped character, are hilarious? Well rejoice, for these are about to take place on Wesnoth's battlefields!

Era's objectives:
  • Achieving astonishing audio/video effects is NOT a priority. I mostly want it to just be decent;
  • I wish for these factions to be as balanced as possible, between themselves as well as with the mainline BfW factions;
  • I do not aim for them to be particularly "RP" (by which I mean: fit in the world of Wesnoth), I mostly want them to be actual pirates, ninjas, cowboys and so forth (although some thought is being put into it: there might be a campaign someday, when the era is mostly finished);
What's up with the current version (v0.0.9a)?
Internet_Meme_Era_v0.0.9a(10-10-11).zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 1303 times
  • IME has passed on the 1.9 BfW branch! The current version will most likely not produce errors on 1.8, but some new functionnalities will be missing.
  • Five working factions (Ninjas, Pirates, Cowboys, Robots & Triffids);
  • The design is getting there, we are looking at a 0.1.0 release soon-ish!;
  • A few new sprites
  • A few bug fixes
  • Balance is improving slowly;
  • Art is on the way: most of the ninjas, some bots, pirates and cowboys have first version, non-animated original sprites;
For your convenience, here is the most recent version of IME for the 1.8 BfW branch.
Internet_Meme_Era_v0.0.7(10-09-27).zip
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 794 times
Follow us all over the BfW forums!
Factions details and unit trees (just two posts below)
Art Thread
WML Thread (sorta, it got mixed up with other stuff)

Feel free to comment, contribute or anything!
Last edited by Dixie on October 11th, 2010, 4:08 pm, edited 32 times in total.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Peter the Great

Re: Inquiring about some pirate vs ninja vs others era/factions

Post by Peter the Great »

There is a ninja faction in Mercenaries Era that you could steal the artwork from.

EDIT: Oh, the topic seems to have disappeared so here's the unit list. (ninjas are halfway down the page)
http://www.wesnoth.org/units/1.6/mr_IN/ ... a.1.0.html
Latin:LVDVMAMISI (pronounced Loo-dum amee-C)
French: J'ai perdu le jeu.
English: I lost the game.
Dixie

Re: Inquiring about some pirate vs ninja vs others era/facti

Post by Dixie »

Post edited to include unit trees

These are the unit trees for IME. Please note that they are not exactly definitive (yet). A lot of unit images are not shown: it's because the sprites are not done yet. In the faction, they are represented by various place holders.
Ninjas:
Pirates:
Cowboys:
Robots:
Triffids:
Last edited by Dixie on October 11th, 2010, 4:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

the mercenary faction of the mercanaries era has a sailor unit that lvls up into a pirate unit. Just thought you'd like to know.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Thank you, Wesfreak. I did find them, and scourred the eras some to find some sweet ninjas (the cult or something) in Ageless Era.

I am starting work on scripting the ninjas today (although I prefer the pirates and have interesting ideas for cowboys, these will be a good practice. Plus, I've got the units more or less ready. I can try to fully animate them and modify them a bit later on) I however feel a bit bad about just taking art in other factions, even though everyone seems to do so and the Wesnoth content is supposedly free of use.

By the way, I'm actually looking for the movetypes. Wehere can I get some info on that, and alternatively, how do I create new ones? I'm gonna look at the wikis and other eras some more.

Thanks for your concern, people!
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

I used to have some cowboys that I was using for my SilverFist era but I threw them out..... However I think I will remake them eventually and when i do you can have them
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

That would be really great, thanks! I might also have spotted some units suited to become cowboys in the Gunpowder and the Hammers eras.

By the way, before you guys make any comments, I know my era's name is kinda... lame :P If you have better ideas, don,t hold back, otherwise I'll think of something better later on.

Also, from a quick glimpse at my ninja unit tree, I might lack lv1 units, and maybe some other branches along the way for variety. I might have to rethink it and scavenge some more sprites. Eventually (I'd like to test it out first, though).

On that subject: I have done some scripting with the ninja sprites I had and wanted to test them, but I can't seem to set up the era properly so it is detected by Wesnoth. I have read the wiki and compared with other working eras like EoMa and EoM, but to no avail. Do note I am trying to set it up for 1.7. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the copies of the files I have in my directory (Internet_Meme_Era):

_info.cfg
Spoiler:
_main.cfg
Spoiler:
detect.cfg
Spoiler:
IME_eras.cfg
Spoiler:
And in the factions directory, just in case:

risingsun-IME.cfg
Spoiler:
risingsun-POWER.cfg
Spoiler:
Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts, guys!

(by the way, since we're at it: how am I gonna have the era uploaded on the main server once it's about ready to be distributed for beta test?)
Dixie

Re: Creating a new Pirates vs Ninjas vs Cowboys Era

Post by Dixie »

Hi again.

Before saying anything else, my last evening's problem about era/faction creting still stands. If anyone can help me, he can look at the previous post for the files, it would be greatly appreciated.

Aside from that, I was just gonna say I scavenged some more units and was maybe going to go the frankensteiner's way. I'll give it go, at least. I've also rethought my unit trees a bit, but I have no time to really rework it today.

Oh, and I'm editing my first post to reflect the actual tangent this project is going, give some info and all.

Thanks again!
Aura

Post by Aura »

If it was me, I wouldn't name all the units all things like you have. Since the era is mostly a fun era, I would go with fun units and ditch all pretense of historical resemblence. A robot faction like you said would be a nice idea, as would zombies (if you use the mainline walking corpses and souless graphics, thats lots of zombie types already, and the ghoul looks rather zombie like). A Spartan 300-type faction is another idea.

I might be able to help with unit graphics later.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Dixie wrote:That would be really great, thanks! I might also have spotted some units suited to become cowboys in the Gunpowder and the Hammers eras.

By the way, before you guys make any comments, I know my era's name is kinda... lame :P If you have better ideas, don,t hold back, otherwise I'll think of something better later on.
:shock: I think this era will be surprisingly fun.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Maaan, has a more than a month already gone by?! Time flies by so fast!...

Well, anyway, some news.

I still couldn't get around the recruiting problem, so I let the era on the side for a while. Sadly, I had to make some place to install Logic Studio 8, and I think I erased my wesnoth 1.7 addon folder, in which the era was. Meaning I lost all my units and the various art I had scavenged. Darn. I'll just have to start over.

Btw, I am a really poor artist, and even though I pretty well know the various user-made wesnoth sprites are free of use, I really feel bad stealing others' art. But I can't draw anything really decent by myself. I noticeably had quite a few EoMa sprites in my ninja faction... I'll just ask the EoMa artist for permission this time around, I guess. And the other Eras, too.

And there won't be much work for the two next weeks, since I'm pretty busy with my end session at the university.(is it how you say it? I can't figure it. I'm a non-native english speaker, sorry)

Btw, I've continued gathering ideas, so I'll post 'em in the first post to define the three main factions more. I'll come up with the unit trees sometime this month.

Oh, and before I go, I'm still looking for a decent name for the era :P
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hey there. Ideas were going through my head, so I've postponed my homeworks for tonight and worked some on rebuilding what I had. So far, I gathered the sprites and updated my ideas on the first post. You will also notice that I put up unit trees for the ninja faction on there.

Also, I know i've borrowed absolutely all the unit sprites. And I didn't even ask like I said I would. Shame on me. I hope this is jsut temporary, however, since I would someday like to have distinct art for this era. But I tried frankensteining some units and the result was awful, really. And I've got no time or energy to put on this at the moment. I might try to work something out this summer... Anyone's help is appreciated, btw.
Aura wrote:If it was me, I wouldn't name all the units all things like you have. Since the era is mostly a fun era, I would go with fun units and ditch all pretense of historical resemblence.
Well, I tried finding some other names which would look funnier. It went something like "badass ninja", "stealthy ninja" and so on and so forth, but I kinda thought it sucked. Feel free to suggest better names if you have any ideas, though!

Once again, guys, thanks for reading and all. More news later on.
Dixie

Re: Internet Meme Era (Ninja vs Pirate vs Cowboy vs ...)

Post by Dixie »

Hey there guys.

I've downed some ideas and finalised my unit trees. I've found sprites for every unit. I know, they're all burrowed. I know, they don't all fit exactly as I'd like ('specially the pirates, ugh!), but, well, life's life. I'm a poor pixel artist and I don,t have the time right now. I just wanted to have somewhat fitting frames just to do the codes and starting working on the overall balance. Which I should be able to start about next week! Yay!

I've updated the first post to include my unit trees. Feel free to comment :)
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Hey, here is a cowboy... Like I said i'd make. It's only the beginning. But, it should work until I get time to finish it.... If you need spaceship art just check out my era.

EDIT: You can find the era by clicking the link in my quote below.
Attachments
cowboy-with-riffle.png
cowboy-with-riffle.png (1.51 KiB) Viewed 25028 times
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Hey thanks a lot! :)

The unit's not bad. It's doesn't really fit the wesnoth style, but he has a kinda nice cartoonish look, which I don't hate. It could be nice if the whole era fitted it. I don't want to put too much of a burden on you, though. We can eventually discuss how I imagine every line of unit, if you want to go through with this, and you can add you grain of salt too (is this saying valid in english?). I'm open to suggestions, and I don't even have that much criterias or ideas to begin with. Just some vague guidelines.

Anyhow, at the moment, I am gonna code the main part of the units and try to balance that out a bit. I realise it will be a tremendous job, even more so if I want to balance it with mainline. So far, I threw some stats on an excel sheet and did about half of the ninjas' faction. I might link a pdf or something when I'm finished. I might need your help on this, guys, if any of you are interested!

Appart from that, I'll look more closely at the art when I'm halfway satisfied with the codes and stats. That time will also be the time I'll start thinking of additionnal factions, such as the aforementionned robots. Your spaceship art might enter there, Dipsey, I dunno. I haven't looked at it yet, it ain't really in my priorities for now.

Happy easter to you guys!