Expanded Undead faction mod (Not For Mainline!!)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ZombieArchivist

Re: Expanded Undead faction mod (Not For Mainline!!)

Post by ZombieArchivist »

im kind of putting the zombie faction off for a bit, but when i get around to it, i will add.
so far, i have two factions designed and ready for building
one: ninja
two: peasants.
next, zombies and goblins and then the dwarf humans.
peet

Post by peet »

LightFighter wrote:And, one change, it is child, not childe.
No, it's childe. The spelling is quite deliberate.

"Childe" is an old english spelling of child. Also, childe has some meanings that are not present in the modern word, such as an aspirant, disciple, or student. Finally, the word childe is used in many modern vampire mythologies, such as that in Vampire: the Masquerade.

If you didn't have a problem with "Vampyre," why did you have a problem with "childe?"

Peet
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

peet wrote:
LightFighter wrote:And, one change, it is child, not childe.
No, it's childe. The spelling is quite deliberate.

"Childe" is an old english spelling of child. Also, childe has some meanings that are not present in the modern word, such as an aspirant, disciple, or student. Finally, the word childe is used in many modern vampire mythologies, such as that in Vampire: the Masquerade.

If you didn't have a problem with "Vampyre," why did you have a problem with "childe?"

Peet
Because a Vampyre is something else then a Vampire. And it really reads like a typo.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Really? I thought it was just an alternate name!

:augh:
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Zigg wrote:Really? I thought it was just an alternate name!

:augh:
Yes, many games/novels/etc. mean a different thing.
For example, take a look at the name that must not be pronounced.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

What's wrong with saying 'Runescape'? Anyway, I'm over level 120 and still haven't met a Vampyre...

:hmm:
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Zigg wrote:What's wrong with saying 'Runescape'? Anyway, I'm over level 120 and still haven't met a Vampyre...

:hmm:
Try doing these quests then:
In Search of The Myreque
In Aid of The Myreque
Darkness of Hallowvale
Legacy of Seergaze

You can't miss them.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

The "Feral Skeleton" line does not look skeletal, maybe it shoud go to the Corpses race and have undeadfoot like liches and deathknights.
The chokobone knight must have a own sprite because ,IIRC, this is already the standard Chokobone in development branche.
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

The Doombat is slower than the Dread Bat, so it is against this rule that leveling may not make a unit weaker-I think it should maybe even be an 10 MP unit,as it is an lvl 3 scout.
In addition, the Venom bat line loses one MP each leveling.
Last edited by Drakefriend on April 6th, 2010, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
peet

Post by peet »

Drakefriend wrote:The "Feral Skeleton" line does not look skeletal, maybe it shoud go to the Corpses race and have undeadfoot like liches and deathknights.
They look skeletal to me.
Drakefriend wrote:The chokobone knight must have a own sprite because ,IIRC, this is already the standard Chokobone in development branche.
You're missing the whole point of this thread. Where more than one set of sprites exist I will use them to make two separate units. When they released the new sprite art I decided to create an extra level.
Drakefriend wrote:The Doombat is slower than the Dread Bat, so it is against this rule that leveling may not make a unit weaker-I think it shoukd maybe even be an 10 MP unit,as it is an lvl 3 scout.
It's not weaker - it's considerably stronger. But since it is bigger and tougher it is also slower.
Drakefriend wrote:In addition, the Venom bat line loses one MP each leveling.
Yes, that's deliberate. If you want fast flyers you should choose a different line to level up to.

Peet
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Drakefriend wrote:The Doombat is slower than the Dread Bat, so it is against this rule that leveling may not make a unit weaker-I think it shoukd maybe even be an 10 MP unit,as it is an lvl 3 scout.
It's not weaker - it's considerably stronger. But since it is bigger and tougher it is also slower.
RIPLIB. Yes, it isn't possible. Make more than one unit to balance that.
peet

Post by peet »

fog_of_gold wrote:
RIPLIB. Yes, it isn't possible. Make more than one unit to balance that.
I did. If you want the tougher unit that becomes slower, you level your Blood Bats into into Dread Bats. If you want units that are good scouts you level the Blood Bats into Shadow Bats. If you want a more flexible scout with a ranged attack you level your Blood Bats into Fire Bats.

I am fully aware of the RIPLIB guideline but it is not a rule that every single stat of a unit must improve when leveling. The Grand Knight is slower than the Knight for exactly the same reasons that the Doom Bat is slower than the Dread Bat.

Understand that the Dread Bat already is a powerful unit for a scout. It stands to reason that a unit type that specializes in fighting should become less useful as a scout. So reducing the speed of the Doom Bat is in part a balance issue.

After all is said and done if you want the Doom Bat to move faster just edit the .cfg file. This mod is not intended for use in MP so much as for campaigns so it won't matter to anyone else if you do so.

Peet
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

A unit is not allowed to get weaker in an parametre (here speed) if it has no choice between the slow unit and another unit at least as fast-You cannot only advabce your Knights into the slower Grand Knights but also into the Paladine who has the same number of MP. :eng: :eng: :eng: :eng:
Icarusvogel

Post by Icarusvogel »

I argue against that that the Master Netthrower in the Merman line loses 1 damage: from 9-2 to 8-3. Of course, this is a minor change, not a loss of 1 full MP...
You are a Necromancer - Intelligent and powerful, yet reclusive and misunderstood, you dabble in dark arts that everyone else can only dream of.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

Yes. There are enough units in mainline having RIPLIB. What I can think of at the moment is the shaman. But every of these unit's got another unit you can choose. I don't know now the advances, but if I understood right the unit haven't got another choice.
I did. If you want the tougher unit that becomes slower, you level your Blood Bats into into Dread Bats. If you want units that are good scouts you level the Blood Bats into Shadow Bats. If you want a more flexible scout with a ranged attack you level your Blood Bats into Fire Bats.
But it can happen, that you think first, they are good, but later, the move loose hurts you too much. E.g. you think "Oh, this unit won't level up in this game and since there are only units having one movement less than this unit. So I'm going to choose this one". But later, you used the unit that much often that you leveled him up. In that case, RIP really annoys you ,because you mustn't use now your strong unit. I think, it would be enough, to be able to choose between your unit and a stronger default AMLA (e.g. your undead AMLA)