Archaic Era (BfW 1.18)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era (for BfW 1.12.x)

Post by doofus-01 »

Xara wrote:Hello. And I have a question, that why isn't Ukian Officer an available leader option? Is it intended?
Hi Xara,

It used to be available, but the behaviour of the "type" field in [multiplayer_side] seems to have changed at some point. So, all the factions in this era are affected. It's either a Wesnoth bug, or a design decision that didn't get recorded in the wiki (at least as of when I'm writing this post).

Thanks for notifying me.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.8 has been uploaded to BfW 1.12 add-on server. I forgot to address the thing Xara pointed out above, that will have to wait for next time.

What I did do was change Assimilation trait, relevant to Menagerie Faction, so slain humanoids become a weaker cyborg-type thing, and non-humanoids are a weak ranged-only spark-thing. I think this may be underpowered now, since these weak units cannot be recruited, and I don't want to make them recruit-able, at least not as they are. So, it's subject to revision, maybe even reversion.

There were also some minor graphics updates.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.9 has been uploaded. The most significant change is that the "stone grip" (petrify) attack of the Despair statues: It now only lasts for two turns (the turn number may change, depending on feedback), then both attacker and victim are unpetrified. The old method of the context menu is still in place, but that was no good for the AI-controlled sides.

There were also some minor graphics updates.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.10 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. There were some changes/updates to the South-Seas and Menagerie factions.

South-Seas:
- Replaced the Albatrosses with Breezes - a sort of ghost-like level zero.
- Changed the Seaman and Shoreman unit trees - moved Rover & Wolf to Shoreman, gave Seaman a berserker option.
- Tried to make the Seaman line look more African.
- fixed Arsonist ranged attack animation

Menagerie:
- Weakened the blue lizards' attack, but gave it poison.
- Removed the Tower Layboys, I thought they did not fit thematically.
- improved (I believe) the Assimilation plague-type special
- adjusted the level zero stats a bit
- Some general sprite touch-ups
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Statue events include debug [message], and those events are without event id so it will happen for each statue.

I suspect Khthon is massively overpowered against living units.

When petrifying unit with the attack thats xp levels statue, statue will not be petrified. I fixed this with

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=post_advance
    first_time_only=no
    id=AE_arc_stone_repetrify_advance
    [filter]
        [filter_attack]
            special=AE_arc_stonegrip
        [/filter_attack]
		formula="$this_unit.variables.victim != aaa"
    [/filter]
	{VARIABLE unit.status.petrified yes}
    [unstore_unit]
        variable=unit
		find_vacant=no
    [/unstore_unit]
[/event]
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ravana wrote:Statue events include debug [message], and those events are without event id so it will happen for each statue.
They are nested in an event with an id, I'd have thought that was enough. But I clearly failed to test this enough if I left the [message] in there (I could have sworn...), so I'll have to revisit it. Thanks.
Ravana wrote:I suspect Khthon is massively overpowered against living units.
Maybe. I think the worse distinction is the living vs the immune. I'm not changing the overall design, but the details need some revision, I agree.
Ravana wrote:When petrifying unit with the attack thats xp levels statue, statue will not be petrified. I fixed this with
Thank you for catching that.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.11 has been released to BfW 1.12 server. Most significant changes that I can remember are:

Khthon
(1.) (This is the main change of the release.) I tried to work on the enthrallment some more, and address the imbalance against living vs. non-living opponents mentioned above. I think it's generally true that the non-living (more accurately "unplageable") are weak against arcane, so I gave all level 1 & up khthon an arcane attack granted by the trait they all have, which gets stronger for higher levels. For level 2 & up, this arcane attack also has the enthrallment weapon special.

So, the bump up for the race is that they have an effective attack against ghosts etc. The bump down is that the level 1 cannot make thralls anymore, and the higher levels need to use that specific arcane attack to create thralls. I think it's possible to get the AI to choose that arcane attack if it can kill, but I haven't tried yet.

(2.) One of the turtles had the wrong level when hiding, is now fixed.

Menagerie
(1.) Gave the blue drake an advancement to level 3.
(2.) Gave the mechanical drone an alternative advancement
(3.) Defender (flying robot) is not a leader option anymore

Primeval
(1.) I tweaked the traits, for both the Primevals and the Primevalists, so that they are always unplageable. I'm not sure if there isn't a better way, this may need revision.

Despair
(1.) I think the advancing statue bug Ravana mentioned is fixed.

South-Seas
(1.) Copy&Paste error had Gust (level 1) named same as Breeze (level 0), is now fixed. I made a half-assed standing animation for the level 1 & 2, but I think they will be changed. That entire line of sprites will probably be replaced.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Ice seal has image="units/ukains/seals/ice-seal.png:250" instead of image="units/ukians/seals/ice-seal.png:250" in one animation block.

Thanks for # maybe I shouldn't be using 'AE', maintaining ageless era is probably a big enough PITA. Try to remember to use 'ARCHAIC'.

For ARCHAIC_WEAPON_SPECIAL_FOG, why not use something like additional

Code: Select all

[chance_to_hit]
        add=-50
        apply_to=opponent
		[filter_opponent]
			[filter_weapon]
				special=magical
			[/filter_weapon]
		[/filter_opponent]
    [/chance_to_hit]
It would deal with logic part without needing event-based messing with specials leaving only graphics to event. Side effect would be fixing in game damage calculations.

I see the way I suggested for statues post advance was faulty, it causes crash if the statue was created in way other thanrecruit,recall,start. I will make the formula use some slightly different way when I next look it, but after 50 commits over last 6 days I need some rest.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ravana wrote:For ARCHAIC_WEAPON_SPECIAL_FOG, why not use something like additional...
Because it wasn't clear to me how competing [chance_to_hit]s would be handled. FOG says a mage gets 20%, MAGICAL says mage gets 70% (non-cumulative), who gets to the final word, and will that always be the case? The way I have it now has disadvantages that you indicated, but at least the chances are set.

I think the bottom line is that FOG should be redesigned. Maybe just changing [chance_to_hit] to [damage] special would be enough, or maybe a [resistance] ability would be better. I'll need to think about it.

Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.12 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server.

Despair
The statue petrify things were causing trouble, as Ravana says. It also seemed to cause a crash* when anyone advanced, I think it was because the [filter_attack] wasn't doing anything (filtering can be confusing), but changing it to a "has_weapon" key seems to help. I added "moveto" event to catch any statue unit that wasn't accounted for already. I think it works now, at least the crashes should be less often. Please let me know if it continues to cause trouble.
South-Seas
I changed fog to a [damage] special, instead of a [chance_to_hit] special. I may change this, but for now it is cleaner, in the spirit of Ravana's suggestion. I also gave it a (somewhat crappy) animation.
I did not replace the Breeze sprites yet, though that is on the to-do list.
Khthon
- Some sprite and animation updates.
- Adjusted the arcane attacks they all get (there will probably be more changes).
- changed the "calculation" for whether the Khthon's vector attack is enabled. It used to be a simple cut-off at 12 HP, but that made weaklings like the Toads too effective, so now it is a percentage of max. I can probably change this further so the attack is better hidden when not enabled, but that's forr some other time.
- gave the wolves a level 2->3 advancement alternative.
- changed the available MP leaders, replaced Taraxippon with Noble-Beast.
---------------------------------
* Note: When I say crash, I don't mean segmentation fault (I don't think), I mean the program quits and this is printed:
Formula error in formula:1
In formula !=
Error: Illegal unary operator: '!='

Game will be aborted.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.13 has been uploaded to BfW 1.12 server. The changes center on the Khthon and the enthrallment attack: the special attack is now tied to the main attack-type of the unit line, not the unit level. The plague-like effect still only takes effect for level 2 or greater.

Other changes for Khthon: Turtles get better healing when hiding in shell; Yak gets an alternative advancement; Some attack images and a couple sprite animation frames added.

Other changes: South-Seas Breeze & friends have new sprites, partially animated.
wardog_of_bad_moon

Post by wardog_of_bad_moon »

There is a little but unpleasant bug in Ukians wardogs. They cannot attack by fire. I corrected this by inserting
defense_weight=2.1
for fangs and
defense_weight=0.0
for torch.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

wardog_of_bad_moon wrote:There is a little but unpleasant bug in Ukians wardogs. They cannot attack by fire.
I believe the dogs work as intended, the torch is supposed to be defense-only. You can enable it by removing the attack_weight=0 line.
wardog_of_bad_moon wrote:I corrected this by inserting
defense_weight=2.1
for fangs and
defense_weight=0.0
for torch.
In principle, that should disable the torch for defense, and not really do anything for fangs. If it enabled the torch for attack, then that sounds like a BfW bug.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

doofus-01: add a dummy weapon specials to attacks to indicate which ones are attack/defense-only

BTW found a bug: hiding turtles can attack with arcane attacks (green-fire strike and vector) and L0 can move in some terrains (flat, shallow water)

EDIT: an another bug: khthon thralls can be re-enthralled by an opponent (this can happen in a 2v2 match where at least one player on each side is Khthon and at least one player in match is not immune to enthrallment)
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:doofus-01: add a dummy weapon specials to attacks to indicate which ones are attack/defense-only
That's not a bad idea, but I'm not entirely sure I think it's needed. If the attack was an option in the attack dialogue that suddenly wasn't available or didn't do any damage when you tried to use it (like vector attack used to be), it would be needed for sure. I could put a description for the unit though, that's several years overdue.
Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:BTW found a bug: hiding turtles can attack with arcane attacks (green-fire strike and vector) and L0 can move in some terrains (flat, shallow water)
Thanks, that should be fixed in the next update. The "green-fire strike" was a catch-all for units not covered by the other options, I forgot to filter out the hiding turtles.
Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:EDIT: an another bug: khthon thralls can be re-enthralled by an opponent (this can happen in a 2v2 match where at least one player on each side is Khthon and at least one player in match is not immune to enthrallment)
:hmm: Not sure that's a bug. They can be turned into walking corpses as well, they are not "unplagueable". I don't see any breakdown in logic, though maybe logic can't apply to something like this.