Archaic Era (BfW 1.18)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Archaic Era (for BfW 1.12.x)

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.27 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. It is a minor update, some graphics updates to Ukians faction. I did not get any work done on statues, that will have to wait for next time.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.22.a has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. I have simplified the Despair statue's stone grip ability, hopefully it no longer causes crashes. It should also be more intuitive.

I will update the development version at a later date.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.28 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. It has some minor graphics updates. I haven't really dealt with the Despair Statues yet, I may just use the solution from the BfW 1.12 version.

Archaic Resources has also been updated, and that is more important. There are some new units and animations, but there are also some fixes to terrain graphics, including a fix for corruption of the mainline Dwarf Keep graphics (apparently filtering "Ku*y" captures "Kud"). The black water used near the end of BMR is fixed to work with the new water graphics.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.29 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. The only real change is that the Ukian Seals have been updated (both branches now have level 2, and some small amount of animations). Archaic Resources has also been updated, only really relevant for campaign Bad Moon Rising.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.30 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. There are some limited animation updates to the Primeval Faction, but the major change is that Ukian Witch has two variations, accessible through AMLA (as opposed to a level 4 branch). Maybe it would be better to just make them level 4, maybe not. I doubt it has much impact on MP, but it should be relevant to add-on campaign Bad Moon Rising
IPS

Re: Archaic Era (Active for BfW 1.13, Maintenance for BfW 1.

Post by IPS »

Well, I was thinking a lot about the lesser wind daemon balance and I finally have a rasonable feedback to give to here. Let's explain the facts.

I guess that Lesser Wind Daemons were made as scout oriented units. But actually it works better as tank than as scout. Let's compare why this opinion.

Lesser Wind Daemon vs Ghost (stasts)
1.- Resistances
a) Ghost has a total of bonus 220% resistances (230% againist a faction with no arcane)
b) Lesser Wind daemon has a total bonus of 190% resistances (220% againist a faction with no arcane)
2.- Health/Durability
a) Ghost has just 18 hp, no regen, costs 20g, depends on drain to reheal.
b) Lesser Wind daemon has unnusual 26 hp for those resistances, it regens +8 per turn, costs 17g, has a ranged with drain which is even better than ghost's mele drain.
3.- General Movement
a) Ghost is extremely movible on all terrains, except at water tiles in which needs 2 MP per tile. It has 7 movement.
b) Lesser Wind Daemon has 6 movement, excentric movement costs (which I really love becuase of something unique!). It has 6 movement. Also due movement costs, it feels curiously tought to move these in terrains in which regular units moves even faster than wind daemons.
4.- Aditionally Lesser wind daemons can gain 1 trait, which raises cost efficiency a bit.

Even, I can say wind daemon tanking potential is even higher than Lesser Earth daemons if you avoid arcane damage over them. Some sugestions to make it more equilibrated overall.

1.- Health/Durability sugestions
a) Lesser Wind Daemon health from 26 to 23, also just regen+4 due its extremely high resistances.
b) Wind Daemon Health from 38 to 32, also trying regen+6 on these.
c) Greater Wind Daemon Health from 49 to 40, you can mantain regen+8 on those.
2.- General Movement
a) Lesser Wind Daemon movement to 7, would make more friendly to move that unit, also you can try 8 MP to make it move 4 flat tiles per turn.
b) Wind Daemond and Greater wind Daemon movement of 8 or 9.
c) try to mantain those movement costs intact, makes that unit unique on all wesnoth.

Resistances doesn't look like a problem at all, so by adjusting health will afect general durability to a more fair, credible and enjoyable way to deal againist it. Also as you can notice, I've focused more in the lv1 one because it was the one with most balance issues. Arcane becomes more common at lv2 and lv3, so it looked to me that raising regens while this unit level ups sounds logic.

Would like your toughts about that, but you have to really try those wind daemons againist a faction without arcane.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Hi IPS,

I will have to look at your suggestions more thoroughly at some later date, but my initial, quick thought is that L. Wind Daemon vs Ghost might not be the best comparison.

Raising regeneration amount as level increases sounds OK, the Khthon do something like that so it could be a coherent scheme.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

OK, looking at this a bit more closely now.
IPS wrote:I guess that Lesser Wind Daemons were made as scout oriented units.
This is mistaken, they were not intended as scouts. "Tank-like archer with niche movement" would be better description. They may need adjustment, but I don't see making them more like Ghosts.

The faction doesn't have a Ghost analog, but the Mech Drone is a (relatively) fast flying unit that isn't just a simple scout.
IPS wrote:Even, I can say wind daemon tanking potential is even higher than Lesser Earth daemons if you avoid arcane damage over them.
You have a point in that the Earth daemons need some revision. They also overlap too much with the Blue Lizard. Maybe making the lizard more scout-like and giving the earth daemon slightly higher resistances would be the way to go. :hmm:
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.31 has been uploaded to ther BfW 1.13 server. The change is that Ukian Veterans and Deadeyes have alternative AMLAs which are useful for Bad_Moon_Rising SP campaign, though probably irrelevant for multiplayer.

There is also an updated .pot file in the translations folder of the add-on. WesCamp is dead (has been for a couple years), please send any translation efforts directly to me here.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.32 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server. The biggest chunk of the update is that many more of the Primeval units have defense animations, there were a couple sprite updates too. The help section links to the primeval-only traits (zealous, devout) are no longer dead. There were also some minor tweaks to the AMLAs of the Ukians. So, mostly a cosmetic update, but cosmetics is the main reason to download a UMC era in any case, so...
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.33 has been sent to the BfW 1.13 server. There were some AI changes with 1.13.5, so this development version will probably not work with earlier versions. Here are the changes that I noted. Most issues are fixed, but there are sill things to do. No graphics updates.

1. Recruit menu - The race icons look silly, I hope it gets removed before BfW 1.14. Won't fix for now:
error display: could not open image 'icons/unit-groups/race_primeval_30.png'

2. MP faction select (fixed):
error display: could not open image 'units/primeval/warrior.png'

3. This is fixed (was from new function inputs in 1.13.5, does not affect earlier BfW versions)
error scripting/lua: ~add-ons/Archaic_Era/lua/ai_plague_attack_ca.lua:77: attempt to index local 'self' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
~add-ons/Archaic_Era/lua/ai_plague_attack_ca.lua:77: in function <~add-ons/Archaic_Era/lua/ai_plague_attack_ca.lua:9>
(...tail calls...)

But, [disable] special is not honored by the (Lua?) AI. <- should be fixed in BfW 1.13.6

4. This happened when a Khthon walked into a hiding "ambush-ability" unit. Needs to be fixed still.
error scripting/lua: ai/lua/ai_helper.lua:132: ai.attack from 26,32 to 27,30 could not be executed. Error code: 1010
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'error'
ai/lua/ai_helper.lua:132: in function 'checked_action_error'
ai/lua/ai_helper.lua:140: in function 'checked_attack'
~add-ons/Archaic_Era/lua/ai_plague_attack_ca.lua:104: in function 'execution'
[string "local self, params, data = ......"]:2: in main chunk
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

hi, i would like to give you a minor contribution to the era of yours. i used you Dullohan unit (as well as the full Black Rider line) and made a scull projectlile exclusively for the unit:
skull.png
skull.png (534 Bytes) Viewed 19345 times
skull-ne.png
skull-ne.png (737 Bytes) Viewed 19345 times
and an attack icon (not mine, it's from a few other addons):
skull.png
skull.png (8.79 KiB) Viewed 19345 times
animation code:
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Interesting. I might want to rotate the skull and put a "slam halo" in the icon to make it more clear. :hmm:

Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.34 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.13 server.
doofus-01 wrote:4. This happened when a Khthon walked into a hiding "ambush-ability" unit. Needs to be fixed still.
error scripting/lua: ai/lua/ai_helper.lua:132: ai.attack from 26,32 to 27,30 could not be executed. Error code: 1010
stack traceback:
: in function 'error'
ai/lua/ai_helper.lua:132: in function 'checked_action_error'
ai/lua/ai_helper.lua:140: in function 'checked_attack'
~add-ons/Archaic_Era/lua/ai_plague_attack_ca.lua:104: in function 'execution'
[string "local self, params, data = ......"]:2: in main chunk[/quote]I believe this is fixed.

There is another problem in that killing a khthon and then leveling up can turn the victor into a khthon. I don't think this happened in BfW 1.12, but I need to look into this more.
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Hi, i have applied teamcoloring to this version of orcish serf and enhanced the tc on some others. attached any have got.
looks good ingame
looks good ingame
serf.png (2.73 KiB) Viewed 19124 times
Attachments
orc-drifter-teamcolor.zip
fixed drifter-cast2's shirt.
(12.38 KiB) Downloaded 712 times
orc-single-sprites-teamcolor.zip
(10.63 KiB) Downloaded 695 times
orc-slinger-teamcolor.zip
(18.12 KiB) Downloaded 756 times
orc-serf-teamcolor.zip
(49.23 KiB) Downloaded 750 times
Last edited by Eagle_11 on October 1st, 2016, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.