Archaic Era (BfW 1.18)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Destructinator

Re: Archaic Era (for BfW 1.8, 1.9)

Post by Destructinator »

doofus-01 wrote:1.3.5 just went to the BfW 1.9 server (No, I don't know what happened to 1.3.4). It is a bigger download because a song was added. There were some other minor changes as well, mostly to South-Seas faction "shoreman" line and orc "raider" line.
what was the song that was added? :P
Drunken_Pirate

Post by Drunken_Pirate »

I downloaded the latest AE from the server but I cannot find the wisps anywhere :(
How can I get a hold of them?
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

Drunken_Pirate:
I don't know which wisps you are looking for, but the acronym "AE" may also (and sometimes even more likely) stand for "Ageless Era", a Era which combines many other Eras to one. So, you may have a look there (though that add-on is quite big, so consider downloading it via your web browser from http://addons.wesnoth.org instead of ingame, because it may - depending on your internet connection - stop after a while).

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Drunken_Pirate

Post by Drunken_Pirate »

I am pretty sure it is from archaic era. The unit I am looking for is the fright which upgrades to an unease. I saw someone using the unit in a Colosseum game. In the wesnoth help it says the unit is from doofus' archaic era. I have the newest archaic and ageless and cannot find this unit!!! help me! thanks.

ps I am also looking for five world survival for 1.8, any help finding it would also be appreciated.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

You were using Ageless Era. Most units in Ageless have a note in their help telling you which Era they were taken from.

And what do you mean when you say you can't find this unit? First of all, which unit exactly are you looking for? The Unease upgrades to Fright, not the Fright to Unease. Second, the Unease and its upgrade are from the Despair Faction. If you need the .cfg files, look at Phantom_Wisp.cfg for the Unease and Phantom_Fright.cfg for the Fright (obviously enough).
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

If you install those eras and try to find the units in the in-game help, you may have to type :discover within a game to see all units in the help. ;)

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Drunken_Pirate

Post by Drunken_Pirate »

I did use discover and I still cannot find this unit. It is not among the ones offered in Despair and I still cannot find the Wisps anywhere. I don't know much about moving cfg files around, I'd need some pretty specific instructions if it involves more than adding on the correct era.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Drunken_Pirate wrote: I don't know much about moving cfg files around, I'd need some pretty specific instructions if it involves more than adding on the correct era.
Drunken_Pirate,

What do you want to do with these? If you just want to see them in action, load a game with Archaic Era (Ageless has too many units for this method), and type ":debug" then right-click to "create unit" and you should be able to find them in the list.

If you have some other plans, you'll need to find the files. They are in your user-data folder, which depends on your operating system (and install method?). Inside that, find directory data/add-ons/Archaic_Era/units/despair/ (I think, I don't have it available now to check) to get the .cfg files. The images are in the images/units/despair (I think).
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Drunken_Pirate

Post by Drunken_Pirate »

what I would like to do is have that unit available to use in any game I host in ageless era.

I found the phantom_wisp.cfg file now where do I put it? right now it is in use/data/addons/archaeic era/units/despair

for the image file I also found one in the path you suggested only i see a phantomfright file but nothing that says unseen.

so yah, where do I put those files?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.3.9 just went to the server. This is needed to make the latest BMR version work.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm revising the Khthon. The Vector attack was impossible to balance, so I'm splitting it into two things:

1. Vector - same as before, but no more low chance-to-hit nonsense, and it is only available to Khthon that are trapped. By trapped, I mean enemy on each side (n/s, nw/se, ne/sw). Also, if the opponent becomes Khthon, the original Khthon dies. It's like the puppet-master is jumping hosts.

2. Enthrall - any foe slain by a Khthon becomes a Thrall, sort of like plague. The Thrall keeps its original unit type, but has some minor modifications and it cannot advance. This makes Thralls more powerful than Walking Corpses, but similarly a dead-end. Thralls cannot make more Thralls or Khthon, so even though they are stronger than WC's, there shouldn't be "overpowered plague" runaway.

I hope to get this done within the next few days - much of it is done, but I need to test a bit more before I upload. It is a big change though, so I wanted to give the one or two of you who might be willing to help test this some warning because feedback for this would be very helpful.

Thanks.

EDIT: And it is done, 1.3.10 has been released (after a bit of delay, it is on the server) and the above changes were made.
lesy

Post by lesy »

when i found this last post, i was just about to ask you how the vector weapon special is implemented, or better how does it tell what units are susceptible? (looking through the cfg files i only found list of non-susceptible races, but i could have missed it.)

i see you decided to change it completely but since i'm stuck with latest 1.8 version of ageless era, the question is still sort of relevant:

what factions/units/levels are susceptible to vector?
and does it apply to the new revised vector as well?

while playing/testing i was ever only able to "khthonize" some lvl1 loyalists and lvl1 ukians? which in the ageless era match-ups kind of ruins the fun of it.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lesy wrote:what factions/units/levels are susceptible to vector?
It's not supposed to work on undead, mechanical, primeval, leaders (of all races, for "balance"), phantoms, and other khthon. That's for 1.9, I think 1.8 is similar. I don't know what was done to them in Ageless Era, but it should work on anything not of one of those races if it wasn't changed.
lesy wrote:and does it apply to the new revised vector as well?
Yes, but I am revising the recruit list for MP, so they should have a chance against the vector-immune races.
lesy wrote:while playing/testing i was ever only able to "khthonize" some lvl1 loyalists and lvl1 ukians? which in the ageless era match-ups kind of ruins the fun of it.
It should work for more factions than that, but I should note that this era is more for use in campaigns than MP. Not that I don't try to make it MP playable.
lesy

Post by lesy »

well i went through ageless era version of vector.cfg again and still couldn't spot any reason why it shouldn't work on lvl0 (tested ukian dog), lvl2 (ukian something) and any other non-listed race (tested south-seas!, vampires, dwarves, orcs etc...) but it doesn't.

as for the MP use, khthons have great art and nice original "flavor", definitely my favorite faction from archaic era and at least some people that i know of feel similar, so i don't see why they shouldn't get their rightful MP exposure
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

lesy wrote:well i went through ageless era version of vector.cfg again and still couldn't spot any reason why it shouldn't work on lvl0 (tested ukian dog), lvl2 (ukian something) and any other non-listed race (tested south-seas!, vampires, dwarves, orcs etc...) but it doesn't.
Unfortunately, there could be so many things scattered across so many files, written by so many authors, even the collector/author of Ageless Era may not be able to answer this, if it is true and not just the RNG messing with you (it does that sometimes.) As far as Archaic Era goes, I have seen it work on South-Seas and Ukian Dogs at least.
lesy wrote:as for the MP use, khthons have great art and nice original "flavor", definitely my favorite faction from archaic era and at least some people that i know of feel similar, so i don't see why they shouldn't get their rightful MP exposure
Thanks! I didn't mean I was going to remove them, I just meant that if this vector business forces a choice between what makes for a better campaign or a more balanced MP faction, I'm going with the campaign.