minotaur era It's ending.... for now

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dipseydoodle

minotaur era It's ending.... for now

Post by dipseydoodle »

I've started creating a new era I'm thinking of calling it minotaur era but there will be multiple other factions/races other than minotaurs

i've posted the art on the art workshop forums

so far units are

lancer,

shaman,

spirit,

factions will be

minotaur rebels and loyals

the minotaurs rebels are less armored and use blunt weapons and are faster than the loyal minotaurs

the loyal minotaurs have leather and scale armor making them slower but stronger the loyal minotaurs will also have magic units such as the shaman

rebel minotaurs will also have shamans and wizard like units but will cost more gold than the loyal ones and will be more like the dark adepts from default era
Last edited by dipseydoodle on February 13th, 2010, 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wesfreak

Re: minotaur era comments wanted

Post by wesfreak »

there is already a minotaur faction.
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

i added a fawn race to the era(fawns are half human half goat) it can be checked out on the artwork shop forum
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

I've been creating ideas for my era and so far i've came up with this unit tree

Minotaurs

lancer---->elite lancer

spirit--->transformed spirit--->bull--->taurus(a giant bull)

Fawns

blades man--->scythe master

mage--->?

Centaurs

archer--->great archer---siege archer

and a special guardian unit
Devas

Post by Devas »

You should add some choices for levelling up ;)
Sky_Father

Post by Sky_Father »

Hey! I'm new to the game so I can't really help, but here are some ideas:

Minotaur Era is a little too one sided, surely the Era should something for every faction, something like... Wilderness Era, Beastal Era or Feral Era. :)

Now on to some unit ideas!

Minotaurs
Charger >> Gorger [headbutting berserker]

Tracker >> Pathfinder >> Labyrinthian [The original minotaur was guardian of a maze, stands to reason they are good at finding their way around dangerous terrain]

Doru >> Hoplite [Rather than a "lancer" unit, while not base them off Spartans?]

Shaman >> Bull Totem >> Auroch Spirit >> Taurus [A different take on spirit--->transformed spirit--->bull--->taurus(a giant bull)]

Fawns, well, it's spelt Faun actually, but whatever!
Harvester >> Reaper [blades man--->scythe master]
>> Shepherd [Pan was a faun and god of shepherds]

Piper >> Bard >> Mesmer [new mage--->?, piper as in Pan Pipes, fauns are big on music]

River Nymph >> Lakebed Nymph >> Oceanid [nymphs are basically female fauns, even though they look very different]

Baphomet [a giant black goat and demon, fauns hate to summon it I imagine]

Capricorn [the last form of some other unit I think, the perfect mix of nymph and faun, water and land]

Centaurs
Archer >> Great Archer---Siege Archer is fine I guess. :D

Scout >> Outrider [These guys have gotta be the fastest race ever]

Carouser >> War Chanter >> Hoof Drummer [shock troopers and maybe leaders]

Chiron >> Sagittarius [special guardian unit]

I'd like to note that in myth centaurs are actually evil, burning villages and stealing women, often nymphs. So they could be this Eras orcs. :eng:
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

ok thanks for the ideas I like the ideas for the centaurs and fauns and i was realy considering making the minotaurs/centaurs neutral and i like the idea about the choices of unit level ups however i'm having a hard time coming up with new ideas becuse at the same time i'm trying WML but can't seem to figure it out i've realy only tried the WML once but and can't realy do anything with WML so i may end up using campgen when the new version for 1.6....

if you have any ideas on weapons and armor types that would be great

thanks
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

i also have created a forest/woods dwelling race that look like a mix between elf,gnome,and human right now i'm just naming them forest dwellers but will later give them another name
peet

Post by peet »

Sky_Father wrote: Centaurs
Archer >> Great Archer---Siege Archer is fine I guess. :D

Scout >> Outrider [These guys have gotta be the fastest race ever]

Carouser >> War Chanter >> Hoof Drummer [shock troopers and maybe leaders]

Chiron >> Sagittarius [special guardian unit]
I love the idea of a Centaur faction and if I were any good at sprite art I'd probably volunteer to help with that, but sadly, I'm not. But I'm happy to provide feedback in the form of ideas and writing.
Sky_Father wrote:I'd like to note that in myth centaurs are actually evil, burning villages and stealing women, often nymphs. So they could be this Eras orcs. :eng:
Well, in the historical period that these myths come from, this didn't make them evil. This was standard practice for any military activity. But then, if you look at the Gods of the Greek Pantheon, practically none of them are particularly moral either. It wasn't till quite late in that period that the Greeks started really thinking about things like good and evil.

I think that the Centaurs could have a "barbarian" approach. They are nomadic and spurn the ways of civilization. They seek glory and honour as well as loot as the rewards of successful warriors.

Then again, the Lawful/Chaotic thing isn't so much a good/evil distinction as "how well can these guys see at night, and do they like being in the sun?" Elves see well at night or day and while they don't mind the sun, they gain no special boost of morale when it is up. So they are "neutral" even though morally the elves are generally "good," if a bit selfish. Humans fear the night and can't see well, but in the daytime they are much more confident. Orcs on the other hand can see well at night an know that most of their enemies can't, so they are more confident at night, while in the day the sun hurts their eyes.

I'm undecided where the Centaurs might fit in this scheme of things.

Anyway, a Centaur faction would have units which move very fast on open terrain but they would likely get slowed way down in forests, swanps, and hills. These units would also likely be quite expensive compared to most factions. Also, all centaurs should have a hoof impact attack that need not be their best attack but gives all of them access to impact damage.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Centaur Archer line - probably the most common centaur unit and could be the cheapest & best all-around guy.

Centaur Warrior - a sword-wielding centaur with armour. A bit slower but they're the guys you want to wade into the middle of a bunch of guys and wreak havok.

Centaur Lancer - to make this different from the Horseman let's say he can charge with a spear/lance or throw the spears. Not as effective at range as the archer but not helpless either.

Centaur Scout - faster unit with weak attack, but he gains skirmisher at 2nd level and also his penalties for forest and hills are not as bad.

Centaur Shaman - not a great magical attack, but maybe throw in a useful special like poison to it. Also a healer.

Slaves - this faction will need units which can do reasonably well in castles, villages, and other terrain. Also they ought to be able to swim (or fly) depending on what species they are.

Anyway, that's ny $0.02 for now.

Peet
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

thanks for the comments ill think about using your ideas i have most of the ideas down already so i dont really need help with that,
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

i have created a cfg for the lancer unit all is complete except for the next level id for now i will just use AMLA this is what it looks like is it correct?

[unit]
id=lancer
name= _ "lancer"
race=minotaur
gender=male
image="data/userdata/minotaur/lancer"
ellipse="misc/ellipse"
hitpoints=30
movement_type=smallfoot
movement=5
experience=30
level=1
alignment=chaotic
advanceto=AMLA
cost=15
usage=fighter
unit_description= _ "lancer are the frontline for any minotaur raiding party there lancer make a great weapon for there foot soldiers, lancer are always backed up by a group of faun blades-men. "
[resistance]
[/resistance]
[movement_costs]
[/movement_costs]
[defense]
[/defense]
[abilities]
{ABILITY_SKIRMISHER}
[/abilities]
[attack]
name="spear"
description= _ "spear"
icon="data/core/images/attacks/spear-orcish.png"
type=pierce
range=melee
damage=10
number=2
[specials]
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_CHARGE}
{WEAPON_SPECIAL_DRAIN}
[/specials]
[/attack]
[/unit]
Attachments
lancer.cfg
the .cfg file
(1.97 KiB) Downloaded 363 times
peet

Post by peet »

It looks like it will work. It should be really easy to test.

OK, here's the base stats for your unit:

HP: 30
MP: 5
XP: 30
Cost: 15
melee (lance): 10-2 charge, drain

This is a very powerful unit, particularly for only 15 gold. If the other units in this era will also be high-powered, that's okay, but it's better to keep the unit's power in line with the default era if possible, that way you can play with both.

The Hit Points are a little low but the drain on the attack more than makes up for it. At night this unit will do up to 48 points of base damage and will recover 24.

I recommend getting rid of the drain and making the unit tougher. Drain represents a life-stealing kind of attack and I don't think there's anything magical or vampiric about the minotaur's spear.

Try changing movetype from smallfoot to largefoot. This will increase resistance for blade and pierce attacks to 20%, and it makes sense for the Minotaur to be like this since they are supposed to be big (at least I think that's what you want). It also lets minotaurs move quickly in caves and I think that makes sense (because of the Labyrinth story).

Here's the stats that I would recommend:
HP: 42
MP: 5
XP: 50
Cost: 18
melee (lance): 10-2 charge

Peet
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

ok thats strange i thought that i gave it charge instead of drain i used the create a unit for wesnoth download, i thought i selected charge there must be an error in it thanks i'll change it and put it on the forum i'm really not sure how to test it in game,
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

ok i updated the cfg
Attachments
lancer.cfg
(1.9 KiB) Downloaded 385 times
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

i was wondering if my era should have a campaign or scenario that goes with it

if so what era should it take place in i was thinking of something like after the days of konrad and delfador the thing i would like to ask is this

should the campaign and era be a part of the wesnoth timeline or should it have it's own

should the land in which the factions are in be part of the green isles or should the factions have there own land

and what kind of campaign should the campaign be

thanks
Last edited by dipseydoodle on January 1st, 2010, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.