Kolnoth 0.3.0 -- Frat Orcs - (seemingly all ok)

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

drachefly

Re: Kolnoth 0.3.0 -- Frat Orcs

Post by drachefly »

The frat orcs are in.

They are only slightly balanced. The concept is such that it will require some substantial work to balance them.

That concept is that there is only one level 1 unit, but that all of the L2 units can be recruited directly. These are intended to be not as good as the other L2 units of other races to compensate; but they should be significantly better than other races' L1 units. For example, the kegrider (L2) is very similar to a wesnoth Horseman (L1), but with 50% defense on flat terrain instead of 40%

This in itself will require some significant balancing. Also, the one Level 1 unit's advances are determined by gender. The female frat orcs do not have their own page in the help, despite the advance differences. I could add a nonrecruitable unit to resolve that, but I'd have to create one somewhere to get it to show up.

The next serious challenge is the the frat boys' easy access to sleaze damage, which is deadly to any non-nudist hippy.
One solution I'm thinking of is to give the hippies animal companions (yay, something for 'wrangler' to operate on!) who are not stench-aligned and thus more capable of handling the sleaze.
Another would be to nerf the sleaze damage by having the main, cheap sources be randomly sleazy or physical (against which the hippies do all right), instead of pure sleaze.
A last is that hippies have easy access to poison; by denying frat boys access to unpoisoning outside of villages, that may be a good weapon.

The next serious challenge is goblins vs frats. L0 vs L2 is just a big difference to overcome.

That leaves frats vs adventurers, which seems fairly straightforward by comparison.

EDIT: for some reason, the archive I created was empty. I've replaced it with a fully armed and operational archive.

Also, FRAT TRAITS:
Note, movement costs start at 2, not 1.

fat -> 50% less extra vulnerability to cold (i.e. normal vulnerability), 2 HP per level, -1 movement point
sweaty -> sleaze and stench attacks do 1 more damage. -1 movement point
wealthy -> -20% xp to level. attacks do 1 less damage. + 3 HP.
drunken -> -50% spooky vulnerability (i.e. normal vulnerability), -10% sleaze vulnerability (even less damage from sleaze!). 20% more xp to level.
horny -> +1 movement point, and a physical attack with 'charge' is available. Higher level units will not get much out of the charge attack.
depraved -> +4 HP/level, +1 damage to physical attacks

Known Issues:
The Sorority Orc Nurse violates RIPLIB pretty severely. I'm looking up how to offer her an AMLA as an alternate upgrade.

Also changed in this version:
TT2 HP 40 -> 55.
TT3 HP 75 -> 70.
SC3 HP 75 -> 60.
ski hippy xp 30 -> 25

(edited to take down bad file which people kept downloading)
Last edited by drachefly on August 10th, 2010, 4:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
The Kingdom Of Loathing Era
drachefly

Re: Kolnoth 0.3.0 -- Frat Orcs - (download fixed)

Post by drachefly »

I received a report at KoL that this download does not work right. Am I doing it wrong?
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

I successfully downloaded it. Although, I am having trouble getting it to work. I am using 1.8.3 and the era doesn't show up.
According to stderr:
Spoiler:
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

Try it now. I don't know why it was working for me, given the weird error I put in _main.cfg
Golden_Soldier

Post by Golden_Soldier »

umm... you didn't put anything to download
if what you did was edit the last download then it still doesn't work
it still just doesnt appear
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

What version of wesnoth should this be used on? I should mention I am using 1.8.3.

drachefly

Post by drachefly »

Oh, wow, my wesnoth is way out of date - 1.6.5. I guess I should update and wmllint it up to new specs.
drachefly

Re: Kolnoth 0.3.0 -- Frat Orcs - (download NOT fixed)

Post by drachefly »

Okay, got it. Now is recognized as an add-on.

Edit: @%@#$%~! Images not being found. Taking it down again.
Edit: okay, now it works. Tested.
Attachments
kolnoth-v0.3.0.zip.zip
(150.6 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
Golbeeze

Re: Kolnoth 0.3.0 -- Frat Orcs - (seemingly all ok)

Post by Golbeeze »

Indeed, it works now! Custom images would be nice. Of course, you'd need premission for the actual imagery of KoL.

drachefly

Post by drachefly »

You must be the one person who slipped in and downloaded in the minute it was up before I fixed the image links. You can either fix the binary path in what you have or re-download.

I'm going to warn you, though - you might be happier looking at invisible units. Some of these will make your eyes bleed. The Hippies and adventurers are good, though.

(edit: grammer¡!)
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Hahaha, awesome! Thanks. This looks like fun stuff. I'll post more when I have a chance to really test stuff out. :)