Something funny I've been working on

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xbriannova

Something funny I've been working on

Post by xbriannova »

I've always been thinking... What will happen when you're faced with a village that simply bites back? Well, here it is. I've been working on a unit that you could place on a village to:

1) make it appear fortified, aesthetically.

2) functionally allow it to attack.

3) allow your village to resist capture, so that villagers won't appear meek anymore.

The unit art is below and the unit file would be an interesting one. The Fortified village unit will be one with a high amount of hitpoints, strong defenses (It won't do to simply hack at a wall or tower with your sword now would it?), but is unable to move, will heal less than a normal unit in a village(I'm thinking 4, to simulate a fortified village with people dealing with damages from within), and has a huge number of attacks (To simulate the fact that a village has many sorts of people with different skills and weapons).

The attacks in the coding for now are:

1) Sword- 4 strikes, 4 damage blade attack

2) Spear- 3 strikes, 6 damage pierce attack

3) Mace- 2 strikes, 9 damage impact attack

4) Bow- 3 strikes, 4 damage pierce attack

5) Javelin- 2 strikes, 9 damage pierce attack

6) Crossbow- 1 strike, 14 damage pierce attack

7) 'missile'- 2 strikes, 7 damage fire attack
1st generation Fortified_Village
1st generation Fortified_Village
fortified_village.png (5.77 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
I was wondering if anyone would support this and actually want this unit made? I'm just making this for fun by the way.

Also, I wonder if anyone knows whether the game could accomodate a unit with so many attacks? I mean, a unit with so many attacks is largely unprecedented.
Current Projects:

UMC Campaign Guardian Order.
Main Campaign Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26895
Art Thread: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 28&start=0
melinath

Re: Something funny I've been working on

Post by melinath »

A building with that many attacks would represent a surprisingly well fortified village. It would be possible, but kinda pointless/uninteresting, somehow.

Don't get me wrong, though - I like the general idea!
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I like the idea, though melinath is right, a village is a village, not a castle. It maye be fortified and better defended but it would still be crude and the fighters just peasants and militia.

As for the number of attack types you'd just have to test - probably those above 4 or 5 will not be visible in the short unit summary visible on select, but i'm not sure if some version of wesnoth didn't add scrolling to avoid that. Now to imagine the huuuge attack box :)

oh and..i don't see villagers throwing javelins somehow, but a good sturdy pole sling would be rather expected
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Reply to Melinath: Hmm... You guys might be right. A village should have nothing more than a few hundred souls in Wesnoth context... So I might have to reduce the number of attacks, and possibly hp and armor. I'd have to weaken it and make their weapons even more crude. Say I could replace the mace with a club.

Reply to StDrake: You might be right. Javelins seem to be an oddball somehow. But I might have to choose between putting the crossbow or Javelin in should it ever come to that. I can't imagine how rich simple villagers could get to afford crossbows :).

Its hammer... I mean testing time. I'll report back the results after I'm done testing heh, for those who are interested in how many attacks Wesnoth could stand before breaking XD. I just need to get my butt off and code in all those attack animations XD.

EDIT: LOL
Many attacks XD.png
I wonder how many more attacks can the game handle before it crashes or before the window goes out of screen XD
Current Projects:

Huston

Post by Huston »

if you want to know that just go play a game of SX :P
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

i've did some testing on sx, after the 9th attack further ones went offscreen and cant be seen on the right, during attack after a 6th it just became scrollable, 13 attack types didnt pose a problem for good ole wesnoth in there
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
xbriannova

Post by xbriannova »

Haha... I didn't know Wesnoth is really that sturdy. But then again, who's going to code in so many attacks? Well, what I'm going to do is to improve the unit's art and balance it. I might use it for my campaign.

Mainline campaigns have shown that stationery/stationary units are acceptable as seen in 'Son of the Black Eye'.

EDIT: By the way, shame on me but... What's sx?
Current Projects:

StDrake

Post by StDrake »

SX=survival extreme, a pack of survival/adventure maps played with only leaders on the players sides vs hordes of ai controlled mobs and a shop to buy upgrades for your leaders - new attack types, more damage etc
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

will the village have regen and heal+4? because if it's a unit, you can't put anyone on it. neat idea though. i don't think it's possible to make it so that a unit gives money though. i mean, it still needs gold to be maintained.

what if you were to make it so that instead of using the village hp, you use the hp (and attacks) of the village guards. (maybe 4 people-ish). it would still have around 100 hp, but the dammage would be different.

also: what lvl do you want it to be?