Ascension - These units go up to level 5 - PR5 is out

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Ascension

Post by ancestral »

I want to thank you all for powerful feedback. This is of tremendous help. Many of the things you are mentioning are thoughts I've had in the back of my head I chose to dismiss or that I were simply unwilling to address; others were just glaring omissions.

Some changes I've made or am making within the last 48 hours:
  • HP's, attacks, and damage have been modified for almost every unit. Gameplay will have to determine the right amount to have.
  • Nightstalk added to the Nightstalker and Bounty Hunter.
  • Drake Executioner and Drake Overseer names swapped.
  • Bowman line renamed.
  • Valiant Armsman renamed to Swashbuckler.
  • Lancer line statistics updated.
  • Forest Warden and Beastmaster will gain nature-specific abilities, possibly ambush, or stat modifications as to be determined later.
  • Saurian Guerilla most definitely needs ambush or the like.
  • I'm open to renaming the Grenadier, but at this point, it won't change unless there's a good name to change it to.
  • Also open to renaming one or some of the Lancer units, but at this point, they won't change unless there's a good name to change it to.
Things yet to do:
  • Finish and reveal the Northerners faction.
  • Code some of the changes made to the charts that aren't in the cfg files.
  • Choose and apply abilities for aforementioned units.
  • Adjust experience to level for all units.
When it comes down to it, the unit has a name and the name can be anything. Absolutely I want good names that fit in well, and that is part of the point of this era, but having no name is not acceptable either. Therefore, I challenge you to find a better name (and some of you have, I thank you for that).

Aethaeryn Zarel: The Greek/Roman mixing of names did occur to me. I might adjust this but again, it's about finding a better name to replace it with.

I know you've been vocal about the Ether (Æther?) Mage and Void Mage for the Silver Mage to level to, but I'm still not positive that's the direction I want it to go. I'm thinking over the "Mage of" suggestion (I do like Radian(t/ce) and Brillian(t/ce) here) and I'll give both of those ideas some thought.
Last edited by ancestral on July 26th, 2009, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Maybe Phanlax to Myrmidon for the Mermen?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd definitely avoid sharing any names between the Mermen and the Nagas.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

ancestral wrote:Aethaeryn: The Greek/Roman mixing of names did occur to me. I might adjust this but again, it's about finding a better name to replace it with.

I know you've been vocal about the Ether (Æther?) Mage and Void Mage for the Silver Mage to level to, but I'm still not positive that's the direction I want it to go. I'm thinking over the "Mage of" suggestion (I do like Radian(t/ce) and Brillian(t/ce) here) and I'll give both of those ideas some thought.
Wrong person. Personally, I would have no problem with the Silver mage line. I might slightly prefer "Gold Mage" -> "Platinum Mage," but I don't mind "Platinum Mage" -> "Diamond Mage." I also didn't point out the Greek-Roman thing.

*points to Zarel*
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Aethaeryn wrote:Wrong person. Personally, I would have no problem with the Silver mage line. I might slightly prefer "Gold Mage" -> "Platinum Mage," but I don't mind "Platinum Mage" -> "Diamond Mage." I also didn't point out the Greek-Roman thing.

*points to Zarel*
Whoops. /me stands corrected.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

ancestral wrote:Also open to renaming one or some of the Lancer units, but at this point, they won't change unless there's a good name to change it to.
Demi-lancer, cuirassier, uhlan, hussar, winged lancer, etc.
ancestral wrote:I'm open to renaming the Grenadier, but at this point, it won't change unless there's a good name to change it to.
Heavy Javelineer->Peltast->Velite
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Northern Alliance
The Northern Alliance, a faction composed of Orcs, Trolls, Naga and Goblins have a difficulty of employing many typically primitive fighters. This presents a naming challenge, to give out appropriate yet unique names.

Slight note: The Slurbow is a bowman, so for consistency, adding "man" in. Also, as I am adding five new Trolls, and to stay consistent with other units and factions, I feel it's a good idea to classify what kind of Troll the level 2 as the Troll Grunt, as the file name for the unit's image suggests.

The Orcish Archer develops into a capable crossbowman, gradually each advancement improves upon the earlier weapon design. Advancing from the Slurbowman comes the Orcish Arbalestier and the elite designation of Orcish Bowmaster.

The Assassin line proved to be the most difficult to name, as not only is the assassin a very specialized role but the Outlaws also employ assassins. To avoid overlap in names and promote originality they're named the Orcish Prowler, Orcish Infiltrator, and Orcish Royal Assassin.

The staple Orcish Grunt ascends into higher war positions. The Orcish Commander is the level 4 unit with the highest honor belonging to the Orcish War Chief.

The lone Naga fighter in the faction upgrades into the Eternal and Centurion. The names could change a little here.

Troll Warriors, an awesome regenerating melee combatant gains incremental power with the Troll Brute and Troll Titan.

The Rocklobber, the lone ranged Troll attacker stays the course with the Rockbasher, Bombardier, and finishes with the Catapulter.

The Goblins, not nearly as powerful as his Orc or Troll counterparts has a ways to go. Many Goblins barely survive long enough for multiple promotions. However, should that day come, here's what we would have. The Impaler grows into the Piercer, to the PIkeman, to the Reaper, and onto the Goblin Hero.

The Goblin Rouser with the leader-leaning line of units gradually takes the Goblin into more organized and official roles. The Goblin Thrasher, a wild unit, graduates to the Bruiser, Veteran, and from there becomes a General de facto.

(You may notice both of these Goblin lines have six units in their lines because they have level 0 recruitable units.)

The Wolf Riders, ridden by Goblins, splits its tree. The Knight and Direwolf Rider excel in speed and leverages fewer but more powerful attacks. The Direwolf Courser is an elite rider and the rare Warg Battlecharger completes the line.

The other end of the Wold Rider line, the Pillager, follows its village burn-and-steal attitude with the aptly named Goblin Raider, Goblin Marauder, and Goblin Invader.

Next: Rebels
Last edited by ancestral on July 29th, 2009, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Orcish Warlord being level 3 but then Orcish War Chief being the level 5 seems a bit backwards, as you would expect the former to be above the latter.

Also, for the Direwolf, a Courser is most definitely a horse and not a wolf, so the name seems off-putting.

It's all a stretch really.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Scipion121212

Post by Scipion121212 »

Just a question, is really orcish war chief supposed to get from 12-2 to 16-4 ranged? :)
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Again, Turuk's wisdom shines through. Courser may not be a good name in hindsight. Although I kind of like the War Chief being very powerful in rank, the Warlord sounds seemingly moreso, so I might need to address this unit line.

Also, the extra ranged attacks are indeed a typo. I'll be fixing these soon.

When this is released, I think there will be 3 versions of this era:
  • Classic (A superset of the current Default multiplayer era, exactly identical except for new units of higher levels for further advancement)
  • Heroic (All units available to recruit up through level 2, with leaders of level 3 available)
  • Survival (All units available, heroes start at level 1)
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

This belatedly occurred to me, but why are there six levels of goblins as opposed to every other unit line having 5?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Turuk wrote:This belatedly occurred to me, but why are there six levels of goblins as opposed to every other unit line having 5?
Good question.

The Goblins have recruitable level 0 units. Since I don't plan on introducing any new level 0 units but also don't plan on eradicating any recruitable units from mulitplayer, the goblins get to stay in the game, thankfully for the Northern Alliance player.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

ancestral wrote:
Turuk wrote:This belatedly occurred to me, but why are there six levels of goblins as opposed to every other unit line having 5?
Good question.

The Goblins have recruitable level 0 units. Since I don't plan on introducing any new level 0 units but also don't plan on eradicating any recruitable units from mulitplayer, the goblins get to stay in the game, thankfully for the Northern Alliance player.
Ah, so what of the Peasant, Woodsman and Ruffian?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Turuk wrote:Ah, so what of the Peasant, Woodsman and Ruffian?
They aren't recruitable in default multiplayer (see: http://www.wesnoth.org/units/trunk/C/era_default.html)

The only level 0 units that will be present in the era will be the Goblin Spearman, Vampire Bat and Walking Corpse. Adding new level 0 units or introducing level 0 units from mainline would require too much balancing.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

ancestral wrote:They aren't recruitable in default multiplayer (see: http://www.wesnoth.org/units/trunk/C/era_default.html)
I'm aware of that, but neither are levels 4 and 5, so I wasn't aware your era was so constricted.
ancestral wrote:Adding new level 0 units or introducing level 0 units from mainline would require too much balancing.
I hope you see the irony in this statement given the scope of your project.