Ascension - These units go up to level 5 - PR5 is out

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Ascension

Post by Turuk »

Wajimba wrote:Very good research. I think it's hilarious that this is again Greek->Roman. I actually like it because that's how it happened in history. Plus if you do it twice it will reinforce that it wasn't on accident.
Didn't have to research, it was my major. You grasped on a good point about reinforcing it to prove it was not in error, and there's also a bigger reasoning.

There are only so many names for certain units who do the same thing, so by imposing limitations due to wanting to keep all of the names from the same era or choosing ones that are unable to be placed in one specific era... you are going to run out eventually.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Wajimba wrote: I'm looking on the official unit tree site right now and I can't see any reference to void anything.
Hmm, maybe it was in one of the campaigns. I remember some silver mages surrounded by "Void" tiles, which makes sense since they can teleport through them.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

A pre-release version of Ascension is currently available on the server. Feel free to download and test. If you like, try out Heroic Ascension (like Age of Heroes) and/or set XP% as low as 30.

Undead will be posted hopefully tonight and another pre-release will be released tonight.

A final release will come by the end of the week.

In the meantime, I need a little help with the Deathblade tree. Possible upgraded units may include Soulblade and Ruinblade. Perhaps you all may have some ideas (doesn't have to have "blade" in them).

http://www.wesnoth.org/units/trunk/C/er ... /%20Undead
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Undead
The Undead, featuring some unit trees that do not go past level 1 or 2 proved to be difficult. The Walking Corpse line gets a full 4 units added, while a cluster of the skeleton units get some additional upgrade options to level 5. Ancient Lich has been leveraged into the era as well.

Maybe I'll put up some descriptions later.

A Pre-Release of Ascension is now available! Download 0.2.3 on the add-on server and test drive this era.

Some minor updates will be made and a formal, 1.0 release announcement will be made later this weekend.

Thank you all for your patience. I hope you like this.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

I'm not sure I like the bat line. Gargoyle doesn't even sound like bat.

How about you put in a Bane bat or something in front of or after the Dire Bat?

Antediluvian sounds... Basic. Maybe it does have an evil connotation but I'm pretty sure it just means really really old. Make it like, Antediluvian Terror or something. Antediluvian Lich. Antediluvian Necromancer. Antediluvian Dude. Something.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

ancestral wrote:Image
I still fail to see why you think "Antediluvian" (which means "someone who lived before Noah's flood") is a good name. I mean, "Antediluvian" doesn't even have anything remotely to do with a lich. Did you mean "Antediluvian Lich"? That would make slightly more sense, but it still sounds as ridiculously specific as having "As-Great-As-Alexander-the-Great Mage" after "Great Mage". Unit names shouldn't sound like a game of increasingly specific one-upmanship.

Just take my suggestion of "Demilich" already. :P

Oh, and, Ancient Lich is far overpowered for an L4 unit. Compare the Lich and Archmage. Archmage does 1.3x as much damage. But compare Ancient Lich and Great Mage:

Ancient Lich does 1 more damage than Great Mage. Which is very unbalanced, since liches also have a lot more benefits over mages; namely, more HP, better resistances, better melee attack, drain melee attack, chaotic (seriously, 21-5 at night is insanely high)...

A fairer progression would be:

Ancient Lich: 12-4 ranged (cold) (magical)
Demilich: 13-5 ranged (cold) (magical)

(Which would make their damage ~75% of the corresponding mage's damage, just like Lich/Archmage)

Demonologist could use a better melee attack. Remember, it is a plague staff.

Although this is all mostly moot, considering that your damage and HP progression are completely out of line. Wesnoth was never balanced so that you could keep extending HP and damage linearly, since damage rises significantly faster than HP does. Personally, I think the best solution would be to have your added own units' damage progression slow way down.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Am I the only one who has a problem with the word "Demonologist"? Chaos in Extended Era uses it too. Demonologists, despite "demon" in their name, are supposed to be good guys, not high level necromancers who somehow promote to the study of demons. Demonologists are people who help us mortals fight demons, not raise demons for their own sinister purposes. And even if they were just a different kind of necromancer, they'd still be better in a demon-using faction like Chaos, rather than one where they're still forced to use Undead recruits no matter what...
Zarel wrote:Ancient Lich does 1 more damage than Great Mage. Which is very unbalanced, since liches also have a lot more benefits over mages; namely, more HP, better resistances, better melee attack, drain melee attack, chaotic (seriously, 21-5 at night is insanely high)...
The Ancient Lich is an existing unit, and units are not balanced unit-to-unit anyway.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

I must also complain about the bat line. Chimera and Gargoyle are non-bat titles. How about: Doom Bat, Death Bat, Plague Bat, Flying Rat (hahaha, don't use this one), Misery Bat, Dark Bat, Bat of - (all the adjectives I used), Fang Bat, Undead Bat, Lich Bat, Dread Vampire Bat, and/or Black Bat. I just really don't like mythological terms being applied as incorrectly as Chimera for a bat. I say this because many RPGs have used such strange titles that really don't fit. You have been doing well thus far (in my opinion) so keep up the good work.
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
Malkor

Post by Malkor »

ancestral wrote:Undead
The Undead, featuring some unit trees that do not go past level 1 or 2 proved to be difficult. The Walking Corpse line gets a full 4 units added, while a cluster of the skeleton units get some additional upgrade options to level 5. Ancient Lich has been leveraged into the era as well.

Maybe I'll put up some descriptions later.

(...)

A Pre-Release of Ascension is now available! Download 0.2.3 on the add-on server and test drive this era.

Some minor updates will be made and a formal, 1.0 release announcement will be made later this weekend.

Thank you all for your patience. I hope you like this.
Although I do have some problems with the names, I really like this and would gladly support it. The things I don't like are the warlock, Demonologist, and Banshee. This is because warlock and Demonologist sound like something involving Demons, and the Banshee because it sounds like another branch in the ghost line focusing on the wail. Maybe you could put in something like "Rotting Gluten" because by that time it should have killed a lot. And how about "Necromancer Lord" and "Death Shackler" but really great job.
When the night is as bright as day. When the day is as dark as night.
When all that is, is only cruelty and hatred. When all that ever was, was sorrow. When all that ever will be, will be fear.
When the world ends with you, do you end the world?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

agree about the name. actually, i think that the Ageless Era's (so probably some other era also) chaos's lvl3 mage is called a demonologist.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

I've made updates to the lines and redesigned the Lich line. I should this weekend post up new unit line pictures.

Pre-Release 2.7 is now available on the add-on server. Any feedback, bugs, would be much appreciated. A 1.0 release will be forthcoming.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Aethaeryn wrote:Am I the only one who has a problem with the word "Demonologist"?
Nope, although I would bring up slighty different reasons. Like other names in the unit table it doesn't really fit, see "Chimera", "Gargoyle" or also "Banshee". These are very specific names that come with certain ideas and images. But I se others pointed that out already (maybe I should read ALL post before posting myself? ;) ).

But hey, I like the basic idea of Ascension.
And when there are cool names popping up in my mind, I will share them.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

right, thats it! ive read it and viewed it and seen all the boring upgrades to lev 5 with only strenght changes and inconsequent namings and got enough of being silent! prepare for some proposals :)

first of all the drake line, those things require quite some unique thinking to get going the right way, and though some names i liked id rather propose a few tweaks:

Drake fireheart: 2 options of upgrades
a)Drake Fireborn -> Avatar of dragonflame
b)Draconic ascendant -> Fire dragon (a path from which drakes could advance to become real dragons, thinking either the already existant fire dragon, or slightly strenghtened)

Armageddon drake -> Tartaros drake (no more cold weakness since the abyss ist very hot, takes on a blackish colour with blue flame lining, additional abyssal flame attack option with lifedrain, but weaker than the normal fire breath)

drake champion is ok, but advance him to armsmaster instead - featuring a swordbreaker attack that permanently lowers targets melee damage

drake warden
-> drake executor (instead of lv5, gain a decapitate attack - single VERY strong slashing strike, something like 100-200 damage even)
--->drake behemoth - big one this is, suffering an additional -10% to defences, BUT heightening resistances a lot, even losing part of its weaknesses and doubling resists while defending up to 80%. Due to its size it can slash/bash 3 targets at a time (the primary and those on his left and right), pierce 2(main and one behind it) or cause tremors for an "earthquake" style ranged impact attack(would be nice if it didnt affect fliers, obvious reasons).

saurian oracle - again two paths:
a)saurian hermit -> ice hermit(abnormal for saurians, this one got accustommed to cold, even stydying it and enabling to form an icy ward to protect himself - a single defensive-only 1 damage attack with 100% to hit, slow and first strike)
->ice spirit - obviously a lizard wouldnt do well in normal state in extreme cold, but this one has crossed the border, gaining some neat cold resistance, and its icy curse freezing its opponents to halve their damage, movement AND attack number, as well as causing 2 cold damage on its next turn, like a temporary poison
b)saurian diviner -> saurian elder (with normal healing and leadership) -> saurian prophet (+ foresight - gaining an additional 20% to defence when..well..defending :P )

soothsayer, also two paths:
a)saurian sage -> saurian elder (same as for oracle path, two ways of achieving the same - unique and fun, remember the fun is the most important factor :)
b)saurian sage -> saurian enlightened (healing raised to 12) -> keeper of flame - holding a sacred flame that gives it a fiery shield additionally damaging anyone who'd try to attack the lizard and surrounds it with a sacred aura, working like the brilliant mages illuminate for allied lawful drakes AND like an opposite illuminate to chaotic saurians (so letting them fight normally in day and with bonus inbetween) unfortunately the affect holds only for allied drakes/lizards, other races dont benefit even if allied

saurian flanker -> saurian guerilla (as lev4, adding a swamp equivalent of ambush and a single bomb throw fire ranged attack, not too strong, but at least fiiery) -> skiarr' che - with normal ambush as well as the swampy + the same in shallow/deep water(yep, this one can swim through deep at last) and no retaliation in response to the bomb throw

and a little something for Tempest Drake+ line - add a 10% extra defence against ranged weaponry, even lowering sharpshooters to-hit due to the strong winds with which the dragon surrounds itself

and something totally different:
dwarf berserker-> dwarf slayer
->dwarf deathseeker - > honorable death (not really an upgrade, end this at lev4)
(or)->nordzerker(gains some cold resistance, better defence on frozen, some extra axes to throw as well, though not as strong in melee as a deathseeker) -> viking(gains some defences at last, cold resistance of course, stronger throwing axes and an option to melee without berserking)

im also quite keen to see the word 'spartan' in wesnoth :D so how about giving the dwarf sentinel an advance to ->hoplite->spartan enhanced with Line Defence - a bonus of 10% to defence if next to another line defender or piece of impassable terrain (mountains or wall, chasm is a difficult case since you can fly over) and ANOTHER +10% if there is the same on the other side (so if the unit in question is X then: xX is +10%, xXx is +20%)
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
Exasperation

Post by Exasperation »

StDrake wrote: b)Draconic ascendant -> Fire dragon (a path from which drakes could advance to become real dragons, thinking either the already existant fire dragon, or slightly strenghtened)

Armageddon drake -> Tartaros drake (no more cold weakness since the abyss ist very hot, takes on a blackish colour with blue flame lining, additional abyssal flame attack option with lifedrain, but weaker than the normal fire breath)
It would make more sense to have Armageddon Drake -> Fire Dragon.
Armageddon Drake Description wrote:Were it not for the armor they wear, certain drakes might be indistinguishable from true dragons, at least to the common man. The creatures known as 'Armageddon Drakes' are towering things, both immune to and possessed of a tremendous fire.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Umm.... Drakes are not dragons.

Also, Armageddon drake => Fire Dragon violates... what's it called... RIPLIB? Armageddon Drake has better defense against fire.