Ascension - These units go up to level 5 - PR5 is out

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Panpiper

Re: Ascension

Post by Panpiper »

Pity we can't make this work with solo campaigns. Yes, I know that would screw with scenario balance, but maybe if one were to increase the difficulty level as one started to get levels four and five? There is nothing I like more than leveling units, and when I get to the point that I can field a full compliment of max leveled units, I simply loose interest in playing further, I literally stop playing.

Yes, AMLA is nice (an acronym I assume means After Maximum Level Advancement - took me a while to figure that out), but it does so little that it does not feel worth the effort when I could be leveling a lower unit (which I may well not need).

Don't mind me, I'm just lamenting, prior to hacking code maybe to see if I can break things.
uzy5o

Post by uzy5o »

There's nothing stopping you from modifying unit files so that level 3's can level up into level 4's and 5's.
Panpiper

Post by Panpiper »

I understand (now) that I will have to hack the files of each and every solo campaign I want to play if I want to add Ascension to the game while playing solo campaigns.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Actually, if Ancestral just has the new levels grafted onto the old ones, you would only have to edit the _main.cfg of the campaign to include Ascension Era.
Scatha

Post by Scatha »

A general comment about increasing damage vs number of attacks, after I noticed something felt odd to me as I looked at the unit tree.

It's almost certainly possible in general to balance things (at least roughly) when increasing either primarily damage or primarily number of attacks. So I think it's more important to look to flavour. If you make an attack better by increasing its damage, then it's representing a stronger, more powerful attack. On the other hand if you increase the number of strikes this is generally representing the unit being faster and more agile. Often when the attacks are increased then damage is also increased just by 1 or so to show that the unit is getting stronger, too. Any attack which does 15 or more damage in a single hit feels big and powerful, and anything which does more than 20 feels crazy.

With this in mind, I think that you err towards increasing the damage rather than the number of attacks, particularly on the secondary attacks of units.

I'd suggest that the following lines of units could do with an extra attack at either level 4 or 5 on the secondary method (ranged for primarily melee units, and melee for primarily ranged units):

Drake burner (both lines)

Drake arbiter line -- perhaps a 4th attack with the blade?

Saurian skirmisher, perhaps. In fact just about every line which gets a thrown weapon as its secondary attack. I just don't see these being able to reach 18 damage (in the case of the dwarf guardsman line), but it's easy to imagine them having time to throw a third.

Footpad line. The mace shouldn't be hitting like a greatsword. A 3rd attack would be fine.

Bowman line maybe. Don't feel so strongly here.

Fencer line ... should the ranged attack really be as good as the melee attack? Also, I think it's cute if you can keep the ranged attack for the crossbow from the line the same as the ranged attack for the crossbow from the cavalryman line. How about keeping the power on the ranged attack down (and just one attack), but giving it first strike? Makes it very good on defence.

Javelineer could do with a third javelin at some point.

Troll rocklobber ... a third melee attack?

The goblin lines would both be more plausible with more strikes.
The1exile

Post by The1exile »

melinath wrote:Umm.... Drakes are not dragons.
I know I've slightly missed the boat on this one, but I thought there /was/ - lorewise, anyway - a way for Drakes to become true Dragons, they simply mostly forgot it, or lack the massive territory necessary for even one dragon.
Rubies for passion, rubies for revenge.
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

what about something from 7-3 to 8-4 arcane ranged magical at lvl 4-5? lower charge dmg instead?
healing +8 at lvl 4-5?
what about healing +12 at lvl 4?
illuminating isn't as good as for white-mage line here, i'd suppose add healing +12 at lv5
HP is too low at lv 4-5 elvish champion is supposed to be one of the highest HP elvish units but lvl 4 and 5 HP upgrades really sux, maybe lv4: 85HP lv5: 110 HP?
11-6 dmg is too high for ulf line even at lvl 5, it should be around 10-5
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Ascension has been updated. Finally.

Pre-Release 3 is now available on the add-on server.

Ascension is designed for 1.6, but it probably will work with 1.8. (I haven’t tested it yet.)

PR3 introduces Common Ascension, an era specifically for low-level survival games. You can now be any level 1 units.

PR3 also fixes a few things:
  • Level 0 Vampire Bat name corrected
  • Level 3 Fallen stats updated
  • Level 4 Boneslasher and Level 5 Reaver stats updated
  • Level 5 Revolutionary name corrected
  • Level 5 Dwarven Defender stats updated
  • Level 5 Deadeye stats updated
Full stats can be seen in the thread here (hopefully still current) or better, at the Wesnoth unit tree web page.

To Do
  • Balancing still is needed. Yeah.
  • I’m debating about creating level 0 units now. Your thoughts and suggestions are welcome.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Araja

Re: Ascension - These units go up to level 5 - PR3 is out

Post by Araja »

Looks like an interesting era for RPG User Maps. :D
IPS

Post by IPS »

The idea of the era is awesome. Wesnoth didnt dessigned a lot of lv4 units and anything of lv5 (only the red dragon)

And many units cant raech the level 3, so you did worked a lot in the era :o

20-4 is awesome, 80 of dammage in many units in lv5 when the bigger dammage was 16-3, 48 of dammage. But seeying the price the era like balanced ;)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Kenpachi

Post by Kenpachi »

I don't quite like the progression of the magic users who have damage as a misc part of the character.
So far all they have gained is upgraded damage & hp, this doesn't quite fit with their background.

For example, the silver mage.
They have put all their training into teleportation, thus at the higher levels one would expect their movement values to increase.
The mages of Light. maybe at level 5 they illuminate 2 hexes wide instead of just one.
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

[...]
For example, the silver mage.
They have put all their training into teleportation, thus at the higher levels one would expect their movement values to increase.
You can also make him able to teleport ally units (Is possible, I even tried: do this:

Code: Select all

[teleport]
        affect_allies=yes
        [affect_adjacent]
                adjacent=n,ne,se,s,sw,nw
        [/affect_adjacent]
[/teleport]
)
Kenpachi wrote:The mages of Light. maybe at level 5 they illuminate 2 hexes wide instead of just one.
Isn't possible. Better would be a stronger one making always day for every adjacent hex, even at night (so it would give +50% instead of +25%). We can also improve healing.
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

You might want to make a post about this in the Art Forum. Just like Melanith said, if you are going to use the normal sprites for the new levels then you'll have to mess with the .cfg files (something I don't want to do and something not anyone can do[without messing up the game]).
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
IPS

Post by IPS »

Spoiler:
Man, at lv2 and lv3 Calvarier and Master at arms had the same ranged crossbow, but in lv4 the difference is so big and in the lv5 its more.

I think Calvarier and Master at arms in lv4 and in lv5 should have the same ranged crossbow.

But the calvarier mele at lv5 is awesome, 14-5 is 10 points of dammage better than 10-6 and the Master At arms at lv5 haves a 30-2 crossbow and the poor calvarier at lv5 haves only 36-1.

The ranged of the master at arms like a bit overpowered.
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Imagine this sight: a Goblin General leading a bunch of Orcish Warlords in combat, making them fight 50% better, but then they are ambushed by a couple monstrous 111hp Gargoyles with a 10-5 drain attack :lol2: