18th Century Warfare Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 3.1.2 (08/08/09) - I need help

Post by Velensk »

Not in the least. The reason I haven't updated it, is because I am mostly happy with the way it is. If I update it, it would most likely be to fix bugs, make slight tweaks, or to add maps.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 3.2.0 - Final Version

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

3.2.5 is on the add-on server.
Unless a bug of some kind is found I don't think there are going to be any further changes.
-------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Gonna release a new version with several bug fixes later tonight or perhaps tomorrow.
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on November 22nd, 2009, 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 3.5.9

Fixed the bug that made wesnoth crash, sorry about that guys, didn't have time to fix it right away.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 3.9.0

New version out, big changes, no more desync.

It is officially fully-functional!
PapaSmurfReloaded

Also I would like to get some feedback, especially regarding the balance between factions.
Pato

Post by Pato »

I Love your add-on, I registered here just to say that

But playing one game in this new version (3.9.0) I would change one thing Militia should not have “Wanderer” ability, OR should have less HP Militia have 55 hp, with is the same for imperial conscript and only 10hp less than the level 2 Infantryman, but cost less (8gp compared to 12 and 18gp of conscript/infantryman) advances fast (14xp compared to 28 of conscript) and have more terrain advantages.

I played a Imperial vs Revolution game against the AI (Now the AI can use units more effectively, good work! before it just recruited artillery and officers) the AI just recruited a lot of militia (and one artillery) and I can’t keep pace because they regenerate.

I would like to hear your opinions on this, after all since you made the game like that you should have your reasons.

But I really like the new faction, adds more flavor to the game

In the long-term goal I would like to see a campaign too :D, but that can wait

Overall, I love your addonImage.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Pato wrote:I Love your add-on, I registered here just to say that

But playing one game in this new version (3.9.0) I would change one thing Militia should not have “Wanderer” ability, OR should have less HP Militia have 55 hp, with is the same for imperial conscript and only 10hp less than the level 2 Infantryman, but cost less (8gp compared to 12 and 18gp of conscript/infantryman) advances fast (14xp compared to 28 of conscript) and have more terrain advantages.

I played a Imperial vs Revolution game against the AI (Now the AI can use units more effectively, good work! before it just recruited artillery and officers) the AI just recruited a lot of militia (and one artillery) and I can’t keep pace because they regenerate.

I would like to hear your opinions on this, after all since you made the game like that you should have your reasons.

But I really like the new faction, adds more flavor to the game

In the long-term goal I would like to see a campaign too :D, but that can wait

Overall, I love your addonImage.
The AI is something I can hardly control(I never intended to anyway).

And about the militias, you are not taking into account that:
-The militias and their branch level-ups are nowhere as strong as the Empire branch of soldiers, and you get the good stuff like harass later on, with at least one level of difference.
-Militias are weak against both pierce and blade. Infantrymen are strong against blade and normal against pierce.
-Revolution faction has less choices of Artillery, and lack the devastating Veteran Artillery.

-Empire Infantrymen have flank, and that is a huge advantage. And Conscripts can become grenadiers, another monster unit. If you ever make it to level 4, Imperial Guards are simply devastating.

The price is higher, but conscripts got way more potential.
Pato

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 3.9.5

Post by Pato »

I understand your reasoning

I was playing against the AI, to understand the units and etc, and noticed something out of the ordinary, My Infantryman named "Owent" Jumped from level 2 directly to Level 4 Imperial Guard (Replay Here, Happened on Turn 14 SouthEast of the map), I think he should have advanced to level 3 "Veteran Infantryman" (My guess is that he received so many XP, after a kill, that he jumped a level, maybe?)

Also, if the Frigate can no longer disembark its crew maybe this information should be removed from the unit description, but that leads me to another question

the ability of units to “transform”(embark/disembark) was removed because of out of sync errors, so now, hypothetically speaking, in a "island map" type, with islands separated from each other by deep water, the only way to get to the other side now would be with explorers? Do you plan to change that in the future?

I also think that there are to many officers, (4-Officer/Lieutenant/Major/Marshall), why not let just one Officer that can Level up to Lieutenant/Major/Marshall? That way the player may really want to level them to get the benefits instead of just recruiting the best of them (In the case of Empire)

Also, may be useful to put in the description of Medic and Garrison how much they heal units adjacent to them, I am guessing that garrison heals much more than a medic but the description just says “Heals friendly adjacent units”, it would be helpful if was like “Heals friendly adjacent units +8HP” for example

Do we have a ‘subforum’ or ‘faq’ something like that for questions about the era? I feel bad for “poisoning” this important topic with my questions.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 3.9.5

Pato wrote:I understand your reasoning

I was playing against the AI, to understand the units and etc, and noticed something out of the ordinary, My Infantryman named "Owent" Jumped from level 2 directly to Level 4 Imperial Guard (Replay Here, Happened on Turn 14 SouthEast of the map), I think he should have advanced to level 3 "Veteran Infantryman" (My guess is that he received so many XP, after a kill, that he jumped a level, maybe?)
Maybe he got enough exp to go through both level-ups, or maybe he had already leveled to veteran infantryman and you didn't notice, since veterans look the same as regular infantrymen.
I'm planning modify the amount of exp needed to level up, it's too low atm.
Also, if the Frigate can no longer disembark its crew maybe this information should be removed from the unit description, but that leads me to another question
Will do, thanks for that.
the ability of units to “transform”(embark/disembark) was removed because of out of sync errors, so now, hypothetically speaking, in a "island map" type, with islands separated from each other by deep water, the only way to get to the other side now would be with explorers? Do you plan to change that in the future?
Yep, islands will be only be reachable by explorers and their level up, pirates. But you still need the rest of the navy to protect them, it's better than what the old system was like IMO. And no, I don't think I'll be changing that.
I also think that there are to many officers, (4-Officer/Lieutenant/Major/Marshall), why not let just one Officer that can Level up to Lieutenant/Major/Marshall? That way the player may really want to level them to get the benefits instead of just recruiting the best of them (In the case of Empire)
Perhaps, but it kinda makes sense and is a nice bonus for the Empire to be able to recruit any of them at will.
Also, may be useful to put in the description of Medic and Garrison how much they heal units adjacent to them, I am guessing that garrison heals much more than a medic but the description just says “Heals friendly adjacent units”, it would be helpful if was like “Heals friendly adjacent units +8HP” for example
Garrison doesn't heal. And perhaps I could add the amount they heal, but it is kinda awkward.
Do we have a ‘subforum’ or ‘faq’ something like that for questions about the era? I feel bad for “poisoning” this important topic with my questions.
I'm not that important LOL
Pato

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 3.9.6

Post by Pato »

Garrison doesn't heal. And perhaps I could add the amount they heal, but it is kinda awkward.
OOOOUCH that’s right, I mistake Garrison for Field Hospital / Medic.

But on the Infantryman issue, I swear he jumped from lv2 to 4, but the replay corrupted (that was played on 3.9.0 now I updated to 3.9.6, I think that corrupted the replay, nice new peasant btw)

But i noticed something

ImageImageImage

Maybe it’s nothing

Oh the new peasant need the same xp of militia and mounted militia to level up, 14xp, why its not lower? I am asking because the gp difference between militia and peasant are only 2gp

And the peasant defend 40% on River Ford/Shallow Water, but 20% on grassland, i don't see how they can get better benefits for defending on water than on grasslands

and the attack "Pitchfork Charge" its not actually Charging

So for me the first attack seems a much better option

Do you plan to make a map specially made for this era? a map Like Valeria for example.

Your turn :).
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.0.0

1-Fixed.
2-That got "fixed" because I made higher the requirement of other units, not that I tried to fix it. And setting the exp even lower would be meaningless because Peasants would level up in one battle.
3-Peasants use the same movetype as militias and other guerilla. But it makes sense, swamp yes, but why more defense in shallow normal water?
4-Wasn't meant to be a charge attack, I'll rename it to avoid confusion. And it is not meant to be an "attack" either, just giving Peasants something to counter musket attacks.
5-No I don't have time to make something like Valeria, maybe in a month and a half, if I feel like it I'll make a map based on Chrono Trigger Present world map. It would make a decent 2vs2 map.

4.0.1 is out.
mnewton1

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.0.1

Post by mnewton1 »

If you have to Revolutionary Garrisons then the conceal each other with they are adjacent but if you have two Empire Garrisons hen they do not hide each other. Why don't you just use the same unit for both of the factions? Also being able to hide your Garrison makes it much easer to win because then you can hid a whole army along with Field Hospitals.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 4.0.1

mnewton1 wrote:If you have to Revolutionary Garrisons then the conceal each other with they are adjacent but if you have two Empire Garrisons hen they do not hide each other. Why don't you just use the same unit for both of the factions? Also being able to hide your Garrison makes it much easer to win because then you can hid a whole army along with Field Hospitals.
Different prices, that's why I don't use the same unit for both factions.
And it is obviously a bug, I didn't do it on purpose.

EDIT: Fixed, version 4.0.2 is out in the add-on server.