18th Century Warfare Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

alluton

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 6.2.1(For 1.9.X Wesnoth)

Post by alluton »

This looks really good era. Im downloadiing it at the moment.
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
lid

Re: 18 century warfare

Post by lid »

keenbean wrote:just started playing 18 century warfare. Looks great but can't figure out how to get troops across water?
Thanks
same question, I cant get any troops on the transport.
KingJohnVI

Post by KingJohnVI »

Hi, I am new to the Wesnoth forums, though I played Wesnoth way back when it was version 0.6.4. I recently tried your mod and I love it! I love the era, I think the units are great, and I think the mod is overall a ton of fun. I showed it to a few of my friends and they liked it to. There one issue I have with your mod is that it is simply not balanced for regular Wesnoth maps, and the maps that are included are too long to play casually or with one other person. As a result, Hieronymous and I decided to make a couple 1v1 maps that were balanced for your era. After talking with a person by the name of Limabean, he suggested I talk to you to see if you were interested in including them in your mod, and thus my first post here. The map I made is essentially a remake of Weldyn Channel with new forts and a central island surrounded by deep water for ships. We spent quite a long time trying to balance it for both factions, and between both player 1 and player 2. Would you been interested in this? Thanks for a great mod, and I hope to hear from you soon!

- King John VI

Edit: Map and .cfg file attached! To use, simply place both files in the mod folder, by default - C:\Users\User_Name\Documents\My Games\Wesnoth1.8\data\add-ons\18thCentury_MP_Era\maps. Enjoy!

Edit 2: I included Warring Isle, which is still being tested, and fixed the .cfg file so that maps could be placed in the add-ons folder and function correctly. All maps should now work correctly.
Attachments
KingJohnVI's_18th_C_Maps.zip
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 809 times
Last edited by KingJohnVI on July 20th, 2011, 7:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

I'll check it out later.

I know about the balancing problems, I'm not really good at it, I might have to ask for help to someone who actually knows about how to balance units well and ask for ideas.
KingJohnVI

Post by KingJohnVI »

Sure. To be clear, I am certainly not asking you to try to balance your mod with the regular Wesnoth maps. I think that would undermine some of the great ideas that are in your mod such as the naval units and recruiting directly from officers. Rather, I would just like to see a couple smaller maps (such as the one above) included for people to enjoy!

Edit - Map and .cfg file attached in my previous post. If you downloaded the version without player 2 recieving a free village, you may want to redownload the map above.

Edit 2 - One minor bug that I may have spotted, and one interesting item which may or may not have been intentional. 1) The description on the trait 'maritime assault' says that "when used offensivly this attack always has at least a 60% chance to hit the target" but the 60% also applies on defense as well currently. Either the trait or the description should probably be updated. 2) Recruiting from officers allows a unit to attack from its location to an adjacent hex, recruiting from a king or leader does not allow an attack. This may not be a bug so much as a feature. If so, perhaps some description to that effect in the officers description? Hope this helps. :D
PapaSmurfReloaded

Thanks I'll keep that in mind for the next update, whenever that is.
KingJohnVI

Post by KingJohnVI »

I needed to update the .cfg file slightly for Weldyn anyway, so I included Warring Isle as well, which is meant to emphasize naval combat. Warring Isle is still under development and may undergo substantial changes, but, in case anyone is interested that has been included in the .zip file along with Weldyn, attached below.

Edit: Another minor bug, when recruiting the sniper unit from the rebel officers, the sniper unit cost is displayed as 16 rather than 20, although 20 is deducted from the treasury. A leader recruit correctly displays the cost as 20 and deducts 20 from your treasury.

Edit2: Fixed a minor issue with Warring Isle, whereby player 1 could use 1 scout to stop player 2's production, and made it slightly taller to allow better travel for ships at the northern and southern edges.

Edit3: If I may make suggestion regarding peasants, they are really much too powerful compared to higher level units. They require no upkeep, they do more melee damage, have higher resistances than the units they level into, and their cost of only 5 means that you can make an almost infinite number of them. Finally, having 80% defense on villages makes them almost unkillable. If possible, just reducing the damage and number of attacks by 1-1 on their melee attacks, and reducing defense on villages to 60% would probably be sufficient to cure the defect. It seems that everyone I have played with feels that something should be done to reduce the potency of the peasants. Also, the fact that the peasant can go directly to Mounted Militia (from value 5 to value 20) upon a level seems a bit much. Additionally, it might be nice for the empire to also be allowed to recruit peasants, assuming they are modified so as to not be quite so powerful, since the empire does not have any level 0 units, as empires often forced peasants into their armies. Again, thanks for a great mod, and I hope you view these suggestions/contributions in the spirit in which they are given, to help make this mod even better than it already is. :)
Attachments
KingJohnVI's_18th_C_Maps_v1.02.zip
(3.38 KiB) Downloaded 1073 times
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 6.2.5(For 1.9.X Wesnoth)

Those forced peasants into the army are called conscripts.

This era is themed around the french revolution, you won't see peasants with pitchforks fighting for the King.

Either way, I looked at the maps, they aren't bad, but I don't think I'll add maps that are not actually related to historical events to the era, feels kinda of off.

I released a new version with bug fixes for 1.9.X(since I stopped working in 1.8.X branch).

I fixed most most of that stuff and some other, except the ones of units being able to attack after they are recruited.

Probably I could fix that too but it would be anoyingly long, and it's not particularly grave, happens to both teams anyway.

So it's unlikely that I will do it.
KingJohnVI

Post by KingJohnVI »

Hmmm, Looks good, except the biggest problem is still there. The peasants still do incredible damage and cost very little. I observed a game where, twice in a row, all one player did was spam peasants the entire game, with 1 or 2 other units, and he crushed his opponent. He did the same to me, and then, using his strategy, I crushed him in an identical way, by simply building peasants. Over and over a number of us tried to find a way to defeat the peasants. We tried many settings, from 800 starting Gold to 300, and varying levels of income, but the empire could not possibly keep up with the revolution unless the empire was given a massive handicap if the revolution player simply built nearly all peasants. This is truely THE most important issue that should be addressed, and I cannot impress upon you the dissapointment of players when they realize that no matter how well they play, they cannot win if another player builds massive numbers of weak units. I implore you to make at least a few more changes to the peasant to reduce their melee strength at the very least.
PapaSmurfReloaded

KingJohnVI wrote:Hmmm, Looks good, except the biggest problem is still there. The peasants still do incredible damage and cost very little. I observed a game where, twice in a row, all one player did was spam peasants the entire game, with 1 or 2 other units, and he crushed his opponent. He did the same to me, and then, using his strategy, I crushed him in an identical way, by simply building peasants. Over and over a number of us tried to find a way to defeat the peasants. We tried many settings, from 800 starting Gold to 300, and varying levels of income, but the empire could not possibly keep up with the revolution unless the empire was given a massive handicap if the revolution player simply built nearly all peasants. This is truely THE most important issue that should be addressed, and I cannot impress upon you the dissapointment of players when they realize that no matter how well they play, they cannot win if another player builds massive numbers of weak units. I implore you to make at least a few more changes to the peasant to reduce their melee strength at the very least.
Ok ok but don't get pushy, its anoying.

I'm not a robot nor I get paid for doing this, I have a life outside Wesnoth(to which I don't really devote muc time anymore) and within Wesnoth I got other projects to work on(aside of playing the game).

I'll balance the whole fudging thing someday.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 6.3.0(For 1.9.X Wesnoth)

Gave a major makeover to the era, hopefully making it more enjoyable.

Last month I started working on an average length(probably around 15 scenarios) campaign, I've made about 3 scenarios so far(as you can see I seldom work on it, don't expect it to be finished anytime soon so don't ask).

The one thing I would like to know, if anyone cares to reply, is whether you would prefer the era campaign to be based on a historical event(which makes sense) or if a fictional setting is okay, which is what it is currently like.

I could make it based on a real event, but it probably would take more time because I'd have to look up all sorts of information about battles, the process and development, etc, of the event.

And I'd also have to deal with people making complaints like "OMG you make people of <insert random european country> look like the bad guys/greedy bastards/cruel savages etc.
Evropi

Post by Evropi »

Sorry to bump a very old thread, but I'm wondering about the project's history... Gunpowder Age--in my opinion an era of lower quality--seems to be almost identical in terms of units and icons. Could you explain these similarities?
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!
PapaSmurfReloaded

Evropi wrote:Sorry to bump a very old thread, but I'm wondering about the project's history... Gunpowder Age--in my opinion an era of lower quality--seems to be almost identical in terms of units and icons. Could you explain these similarities?
The Gunpowder Age existed before the 18th Century Era.

When I downloaded it and played it, I liked the theme and saw it had a lot of potential(as well as many flaws and bugs) so I contacted Velensk suggesting I could work with him on it, but he said he was fine and that he was happy with the way the era was.

So I just started my own project using as a base Gunpowder Age images and some ideas as the base for mine.

Btw, about the campaign, it's mostly ready but I still have to write some of the dialogues.

It should come out at about the same time the next stable version of Wesnoth does.

If I actually worked on it I could finish it in like 3 days but I'm too busy playing World of Warcraft. :whistle:
alluton

Post by alluton »

Is campaign featuring normal wesnoth or this era?
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
Evropi

Post by Evropi »

alluton wrote:Is campaign featuring normal wesnoth or this era?
Well... what do you think? -.-
Consider the topic title for instance... that may give you some clues... pehaps the running subject of the topic so far? Can you see the answer yet, friend? :geek:
I am the maintainer of Temples of the nagas, the greatest 4-player co-op survival scenario in the universe!