18th Century Warfare Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare MP Era

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

lionrock wrote:After my 15 year grandson visited two weekends ago, I noticed he was playing your campaign so loaded up where he left off. Fort Victory scenario but he was clearly stuck after defeating the town garrison, he attacked fortress gates with artillery units destroying all but thereafter nothing happened. No opening into fortress even after wiping out all defenders. I "played" about a dozen turns trying spy, medic, hero leaders but nothing worked to open the fortress.

I even went back to start of campaign to see if he/I missed something but did not catch any clue. I looked over text of code and did not see where the victory condition was set in the code but I am far far from an expert on Wesnoth code. I found your era fascinating and the scenarios enjoyable, I would set limits on time in some of the scenarios and tweak some units as the peasants do seem a tad too good at taking out artillery while mounted units like all in the Wesnoth world are inconsistent, all or none which if you have succeeded in leveling up a unit is frustrating to see them wiped out by one shot of a cannon or a archer in other campaigns. Kudos to your fine work and if you have an answer to our problem would appreciate it but understand if you are too busy.
Thank you for the report, I'll look into.

For the time being, the campaign is not available in the latest version(yesterday's) of the add-on because it needs some serious tweaking.
Bugs were commonplace and the latest version of the add-on brought many changes to the era units, which will the change the balance of the campaign units.

I can't say for certain when it will be re-uploaded
KyberVoraluna

Post by KyberVoraluna »

Hay there, Saw your whisper, wile I was testing that map and could't figure out how to send one back. Me and my brother was wandering if you ever plan on adding generals back too the recruiting list for the troop transports? Great mod either way!

On a side note, Is there something I have too do to, get the units into the scenario editor?
PapaSmurfReloaded

KyberVoraluna wrote:Hay there, Saw your whisper, wile I was testing that map and could't figure out how to send one back. Me and my brother was wandering if you ever plan on adding generals back too the recruiting list for the troop transports? Great mod either way!

On a side note, Is there something I have too do to, get the units into the scenario editor?
In the message input box type /whisper PapaSmurfReloaded.
Transports recruiting General is like Generals recruiting Generals, I thought it would be better to just not allow it anymore.

I don't know about why the unit do not appear in the editor, I'll check it out.
KyberVoraluna

Post by KyberVoraluna »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:
KyberVoraluna wrote:Hay there, Saw your whisper, wile I was testing that map and could't figure out how to send one back. Me and my brother was wandering if you ever plan on adding generals back too the recruiting list for the troop transports? Great mod either way!

In the message input box type /whisper PapaSmurfReloaded.
Transports recruiting General is like Generals recruiting Generals, I thought it would be better to just not allow it anymore.

I don't know about why the unit do not appear in the editor, I'll check it out.
Thanks for the reply! Also do you think ships will ever get a leveling system like the infantry, Calvary and artiliry?
PapaSmurfReloaded

The 18th Century Era has been uploaded onto the 1.14 Stable Version add-on server without changes.
If you find a bug or anything wrong with the add-on, please report it to me posting on this topic. ;)
PapaSmurfReloaded

Updated the MP maps included in the add-on.
North America has received little changes (changes to team names).
South America has received changes to team names, as well as now being a 2 vs 2.
Europe now has has only 4 players, and it's a 2 vs 2.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Added a new type of level 0 Artillery Unit for Empire factions. Balanced factions recruits.
Plentyn

Post by Plentyn »

I am not really convinced by the changes. In the case of Europe naval warfare is a quite important (and expensive) part. As it is now, significant parts of the map are barely reachable. What about converting a unit into a (vulnerable) transport (maybe costing some money for the conversion), and converting back when it lands? Alternatively handling transports in the way of the space exploration scenario?

Moreover having some more varied and localized units would be nice, too: Guerillas for Spain, better ships for Britain, better cavallery for Turkey, snow-resistant units for Russia.

I really liked Empires in Arms (a board game), I think a lot of inspiration can be gotten from there.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version of the 18th Century Era, atm I am working on doing a complete overhaul of the 18th Century Era.

The first version is out, so it might have bugs. :whistle:
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare MP Era (Rework in process)

New Version of the 18th Century Era.
New version os Europe and South America maps, which are mostly the same but about 1/3 smaller each.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Made minor changes to the MP map of Europe and South America.
Plentyn

Post by Plentyn »

So, I replayed. ;) And I found Ships. Some more comments:
  • Position 82,38 is "Bridge (Flat)". Shouldn't it be "Bridge (Flat, Deep Water)", so that Ships can sail up the Danube?
  • I would propose to include the Dnepr for its size and importance for eastern european strategy - possibly also the Wolchow.
  • I would give the Ships a higher price and a lower level - they are costly to build but cheap to maintain (comparably).
  • I loved the pirates, but I feel they are too strong. There might be a number of improvements possible:
    • damage the privateer on recruiting them. significantly.
    • let them do less damage and/or have less HP
    • make them slow in woods (or in general)
  • The AI should be able to do ships and leaders
Was I just blind last time I tried and did not find out how ships were built? In any case some more documentation on that topic would help.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Plentyn wrote: December 8th, 2018, 2:12 pm So, I replayed. ;) And I found Ships. Some more comments:
  • Position 82,38 is "Bridge (Flat)". Shouldn't it be "Bridge (Flat, Deep Water)", so that Ships can sail up the Danube?
  • I would propose to include the Dnepr for its size and importance for eastern european strategy - possibly also the Wolchow.
  • I would give the Ships a higher price and a lower level - they are costly to build but cheap to maintain (comparably).
  • I loved the pirates, but I feel they are too strong. There might be a number of improvements possible:
    • damage the privateer on recruiting them. significantly.
    • let them do less damage and/or have less HP
    • make them slow in woods (or in general)
  • The AI should be able to do ships and leaders
Was I just blind last time I tried and did not find out how ships were built? In any case some more documentation on that topic would help.
Thanks for the feedback.

Ship are supposed to be built by right clicking on a water hex, in a 2 tile radius from a keep, and have your leader standing on the keep.
PapaSmurfReloaded

New version, the rework is here.

There might be a new version with more fixes sometime soon, but now it should be completely playable.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era

Fixed some animations and added unit sprites.