18th Century Warfare Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

PapaSmurfReloaded

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 5.0.0(Final) - New Pictures!

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Mabuse wrote:
PapaSmurfReloaded wrote: The era would only work in maps with pre-made configuration files.
nah, you can put all the wml into the era
Modern Era transport system require maps to have special hexes where the "cargo" of the ships is kept.

I don't know many of the new features of 1.8.0 but if I change the system 18th Century Era currently uses I'd have to start working on it again and balancing units, etc, it would need some time.

I'm quite interested in a few things, teams can have more than one recruiter now, and the ranged era system looks interesting, so perhaps in some time I may change something but there is no guarantee atm.
Guz

Post by Guz »

Well, the solution was already provided, indeed. There was this line in the explorer unit file : {PSRME_BOAT_ANIM "[unit type]" "K1-Sloop.png"} that could be implemented in all units files of the era. Then, just allowing all units to pass through the sea, to say, with a movement cost of 4, and the trick is acceptable. All units then could pass from one isle to another; when they are into the sea, they take a ship-shape, so it's nice to see too. There could also be another improvemant: for England and Sweden countries, the starting recruiting point should have some sea points; and if it could also be possible to set this points allowed only for naval units, well, there we have two new naval countries without having to modify AI behaviour.
Why paying so much attention to this scenario played with AI? Well, trust me, this scenario is really interesting, but unfortunately playing it online will take too much time, and you all know that this is a bottle neck...Actually I think it could be completely appreciated only when played in a local network with uman players, and that redyuces too much the possibilities that this scenario actually desarves...
Thanks in any case.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Guz wrote:Well, the solution was already provided, indeed. There was this line in the explorer unit file : {PSRME_BOAT_ANIM "[unit type]" "K1-Sloop.png"} that could be implemented in all units files of the era. Then, just allowing all units to pass through the sea, to say, with a movement cost of 4, and the trick is acceptable. All units then could pass from one isle to another; when they are into the sea, they take a ship-shape, so it's nice to see too. There could also be another improvemant: for England and Sweden countries, the starting recruiting point should have some sea points; and if it could also be possible to set this points allowed only for naval units, well, there we have two new naval countries without having to modify AI behaviour.
Why paying so much attention to this scenario played with AI? Well, trust me, this scenario is really interesting, but unfortunately playing it online will take too much time, and you all know that this is a bottle neck...Actually I think it could be completely appreciated only when played in a local network with uman players, and that redyuces too much the possibilities that this scenario actually desarves...
Thanks in any case.
1-The only thing that line does is to change the displayed image for units who can move both on land and sea, it doesn't change the defenses, hp or attacks of the unit.
A real transport system should be able to carry any unit, the current system emulates that well enough.

2-I don't understand the point of giving England and Sweden routes to the sea from their home cities, just move it to a seaside castle like any other faction.

As I said, this has been discussed many, many, MANY times, the final version of the era is the way it is because after trying other options for months I came to the conclusion that the best one is this.
Last edited by PapaSmurfReloaded on April 9th, 2010, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

Will you be making a campaign for this era?
”Rise, adept, and tell me about the enemy.”

You are a Horseman: you charge ahead without thinking of the consequences.(80%)
PapaSmurfReloaded

Gwynnedrion wrote:Will you be making a campaign for this era?
Probably not, revenant is working on one though.

I'm going to release a new version of the era soon though.
Gwynnedrion

Re: 18th Century Warfare Era 5.1.0 (Final)

Post by Gwynnedrion »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:Released 5.1.0.

That's it.
Whats new in the release? Changelog on page 1 hasn't been updated.

PapaSmurfReloaded

Gwynnedrion wrote:Whats new in the release? Changelog on page 1 hasn't been updated.
There I changed it the On-Line changelog.
Honestly I didn't think anyone would ask.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Why is this the final version?
Gwynnedrion

Post by Gwynnedrion »

PapaSmurfReloaded wrote:
Gwynnedrion wrote:Whats new in the release? Changelog on page 1 hasn't been updated.
There I changed it the On-Line changelog.
Honestly I didn't think anyone would ask.
So did I, that's why I asked :D

IPS

Post by IPS »

That Final in the era thread like to be the last version of the history of the era.

You should change it to "Current or prevalent", that makes less confusions about the era's thread ;)
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide