Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.33

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ChaosRider

Re: Ageless Era - Current Version: 4.10

Post by ChaosRider »

I got a great idea before next ageless upadeting. I dont know what you are using to make game codes (Notepad++ here) but you could open all files with movement points and terrrain defense, after that change in all opened files numbers -10 for 10, same for -20 for 20... ...-90 for 90. This could be helpfull :P, also all other players could make it by own.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

I quote here from the wiki:
[defense]: describes how likely the unit is to be hit on different terrains. The attribute terrain=defense means that the unit will be hit defense percent of the time in the terrain with id=terrain. If the defense value is negative, then the unit will be hit as though the value were positive with one difference: the number is also the best defense that the unit may have if there is more than one terrain type for the terrain the unit is on.
The negative numbers are important in some contexts.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

Why ever would you think changing the negative numbers for positives would be helpful?

On the point of fogofgold's take on "ageless era", I always thought his way of doing it was both more simple maintenance-wise and also possibly more honest to the original UMC devs. Optionally, the description and etc. on the add-on serer could/should mention all the included eras, and upon starting a game with it, maybe it would be possible to have some sort of code to check wether or not each player has all the required eras and if they are up to date. If some are missing/not updated, the players could have a message saying something like:
<<
Some player(s) are missing the following era(s):
Player X, Era Y;
etc;

Some player(s)' era(s) are outdated:
Player X, Era Y;
etc.

Note that this could cause unpredictable and possibly game breaking OOSes, and the aforementioned player(s) should go update their era(s) as soon as possible.
>>
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I think that if someone had eras missing, it would give the "Unknown Unit" error before anything else happened.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

MIght be issues if someone has older versions, though. As far as I know there's no easy way to check, and even if you were going to you'd have to update the era a LOT. I've put a new version with a lot more factions up on the 1.11 server, if you just want to bash stuff it works, but I get the feeling that special abilities and the like aren't working... I may need to compile a big utils file or something, which would make this a lot trickier.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Just wanted to say there are some great looking portraits in this era, kudos to the artists involved. Very fun just to browse all the folders :geek:
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Crow_T wrote:Just wanted to say there are some great looking portraits in this era, kudos to the artists involved. Very fun just to browse all the folders :geek:
All of the portraits belong to their respected eras and were done by their artist. That and I just found some in random places on the forums.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

I found a bug, or an oversight authors of this addition, its in terrain filter, cause:

for example most player thought that all desert terrains could be written like that: Dd,Ds,Dd^Do,Dd^Dc,Hd
but if you will do it like that then you will forget about lit areas as: Dd^Ii,Ds^Ii,Dd^Do,Dd^Dc,Hd^Ii
so its easier to write like that: D*,Hd*
I could be happy if you change all your terrain filters by same way (as higher written, and not only for desert :P) if it not a problem : ). Its big change but easy to do (i just did it in WOTG addition).

Also if some of your codes work for all hill terrain then dont forget of Uh (this in cave hills).
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If i am wrong i wish to knew about that :D.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Btw if you use in units description this " ' " for example in word "don't" then this discription will be crashed all the time when you will want to check this unit in game. Calydonian Hipparch description is crashed like that.
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

ChaosRider wrote:Btw if you use in units description this " ' " for example in word "don't" then this discription will be crashed all the time when you will want to check this unit in game.
You should use proper typographic apostrophes, like this: . See Wikipedia for how to type one (or just copy mine).
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

ChaosRider wrote:Btw if you use in units description this " ' " for example in word "don't" then this discription will be crashed all the time when you will want to check this unit in game. Calydonian Hipparch description is crashed like that.
" ' " doesn't crash the game. Believe me.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

So why Calydonian Hipparch description is crashed in ageless? This unit description work well without '. In WOTG you have that unit with working description.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

The ` symbol corrupts save files, not the ' symbol. And I think it corrupts them only if it is in a unit's id or something, but I am not sure. Just don't use it, there is a little need of it anyway.
ereius69

Post by ereius69 »

Can we add more era to agless???? its about time there is alot of new content out there!!!!!!!!!!!!
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

ereius69 wrote:Can we add more era to agless???? its about time there is alot of new content out there!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have actually stopped working on AE right now. I might get back into it eventually. Perhaps over the summer, but not now. Also, if I am going to add an era I usually want it it be pretty well made with its own custom art. I haven't been paying attention to whether any new eras or factions have been made that I would want to add to this era. I am not saying that there aren't any, just that I haven't checked for them.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!