Noobs Vs Devs Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bob_The_Mighty

Noobs Vs Devs Era

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I started making another era, but realised it would be a little bit easier as a forum post...

In this mod, the two ultimate forces of Wesnoth are pitted against each other: The Noobs and The Devs. These two factions have been at war since the dawn of time. Who shall be the victor? The endless rampaging hordes of Noobs – or the few and mighty defenders of the realm, known only as The Devs?

Blah, blah.

Here's the units...
The Noobs

Spammer
Some noobs believe victory is ensured if you recruit wave after wave of exactly the same unit. Nobody quite knows how this belief originated, since it has never once been proved right. Undeterred by this, Spammers seem to thrive on a lack of variety and enjoy depriving themselves of tactical options (although some say it's merely because they can't cope with remembering more than one set of unit stats). Spammers also believe that spamming is unstoppable if the spam is dirt cheap. For this reason they cost 1g. Spammers are both numerous and entirely useless.

Go-Go Guys
Go-Go Guys are impetuous fighters, ever eager to rush into the thick of battle. However, their sheer impatience often means they turn up on the battlefield unprepared, often without the right era or even any idea of what they should be doing. Whatever their shortcomings, Go-Go Guys are damn fast. Especially when unexpectedly quitting a game.

Freakishly Powerful Individual
The FPI is a powerful unit because it can advance to a much higher level than other units. In fact, it's so powerful it can go all the way to level 11. Did you hear that? 11! That's how powerful it is. Even guitars amps don't go that high.

Forum Flamer
The Forum Flamer can shoot jets of red-hot flame but its chief weapon is the amount of time on its hands. This alone allows it to hijack endless threads and turn them into petty self-perpetuating rows over nothing.
The Devs

Programmer
Programmers are the grunts of Wesnoth. Despite being highly-skilled and fiercely dedicated, their efforts are rarely rewarded, let alone even noticed - yet it is them that do all the work. For this reason Programmers are able to hide on all types of terrain.

Artist
At 32g, Artists are rather precious characters, who are revered mainly on account of their scarcity. They are also very elaborate in dress, often heading off to battle sporting unnecessary regalia and wonky armour. Nevertheless, their colourful presence invariably earns them far more recognition and respect than other Dev troopers.

Forum Sith
Some view the Forum Siths as a noble caste of guardians, dedicated to the pursuit of civility and order. Others see them as little more than thugs in uniform who enjoy arbitrarily victimising innocent noobs. Either way, Forum Siths have developed rather thick skin and thus have the steadfast ability.

WML Wizard
WML Wizards are mysterious loners, capable of manipulating the very fabric of reality and twisting it to their own advantage. This omnipotent power, alas, is a small consolation for their real-life inadequacies. On the plus side, they can give themselves any ability they want with a simple right-click of the mouse!
Feel free to add suggestions for either faction... :wink:
Attachments
Noobs_Vs_Devs.zip
If anyone is mad enough to actually turn this into a playable era, here are I files I made. I got as far as coding all the noob units (and, yes there are 11 seperate files for the FPI).
(13.51 KiB) Downloaded 338 times
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
Dragonchampion

Re: Noobs Vs Devs Era

Post by Dragonchampion »

Don't forget Founder and Lead Dev!

(Dave and Turuk)

Founder
(Leader Unit)
Founders are the most powerful of the Devs, able to wipe a noob off the face of the planet. Also, his prowess has allowed him to use all of the other coder's abilities. However, there can be only one Founder in the battlefield at one time.

Lead Dev
Lead Devs are the most powerful Devs, able to mod anyone and anything anytime. He is a powerful pinnacle of Adminiatratorship, and is idolized by noobs who wish to be like him someday. He can use the BLOCk attack, which stuns an enemy for 1 turn.

Also, for Noobs:

!!!!!!!Danny_California!!!!!!!!
(Leader Unit)
A Dev's worst nightmare, Danny is a powerful uber-unit that spawns super-powerful highly-unused units all his own. He listens to no one, and as such is hated by allies and fiends alike. Thankfully, there can be only one Danny on the field at one time, but still, that one Danny can Flame, Bully, and slow Devs with his endless spamming.

Also, should I be a noob? I make unrelated and/or pointless comments of the Art forum, and spam the Devs with Sorrys and Thank yous. If so:

Dragonchampion
A Noob gone smart, Dragonchampion is a noob that has taken things a little too far. He has opened up an alternate forum for his self-declared "cool" era, and he foolishly spends anywhere from 4-8 hours a day working on it, school or no school. This makes him have a keen mind for coding and warping realities, but is a shameless spammer, and as such is a noob to be feared.

Good Idea, I like it, for whatever a noob's opinion is worth...
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
cretin

Post by cretin »

Devs: Translator, Musician

Noobs: Overachiever

cant think of descriptions, ill try later (or someone else can try)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

This omnipotent power, alas, is a small consolation for their real-life inadequacies.
:lol2:

Oh man I'm in tears over that line. I don't know that it's a great idea to use REAL names in this. IF you could find enough fun spirited, not minding people, Then you could prolly set the names and it would be pretty funny to recruit some Gambit flamers :P

I dunno if you could find enough...

I CANT wait to play this. Its too bad I'm at work right now.

As far as the level 11 unit... that's a lot of units to make... That is the MFP(most frequently proposed) FPI, I think.

So I imagine devs generally will be costly, and powerful units, where as noobs are a dime a dozen?

Programmer might be a little overpowered...
Artists = healer?
The Devs are lacking a scout type. Perhaps "play testers" "scouting ahead for potholes and giant man-eating bugs"

Also for the noobs you just gotta have something referring the luck guys. "Unlucky" something. They always have 100% chance to hit via a weapon special.
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Gambit wrote:Also for the noobs you just gotta have something referring the luck guys. "Unlucky" something. They always have 100% chance to hit via a weapon special.
Save-Loader?

Love the concept :D and though I am probably classed as a noob, I'll be rooting for the devs :D
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

An interesting idea, it's nice to see someone actually coded it up this time around. The descriptions are pretty funny, but the one below really made me laugh. A nice self-assessment DC. You are getting better though.

Dragonchampion wrote:Dragonchampion
A Noob gone smart, Dragonchampion is a noob that has taken things a little too far. He has opened up an alternate forum for his self-declared "cool" era, and he foolishly spends anywhere from 4-8 hours a day working on it, school or no school. This makes him have a keen mind for coding and warping realities, but is a shameless spammer, and as such is a noob to be feared.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I really don't know about using names as unit types though. But by adding names to the race (I think that's where those are defined) its a bit more feasible. Still may tick people off.
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

I think it would be fine if the person posted them self as a unit and became one. It wouldn't be logical to say "Hey guys can I be put in as a n00b?" then to get mad when you put them in.

Also here's me:

Reluctant noob:

This type of noob is confident in him/herself and is easily one of the best in his/her local area. Unfortunately as soon as one of their friends suggests they challenge someone via internet they freeze up, worried that they may face a player much better than them or some one that disconnects the moment that the Reluctant noob gains the upper hand. For this they should be at a average strength, with skirmisher and various ambush abilities, a high evade, but have 1 hit point.

Elusive to the point if someone gets near them and suggests a battle they flee.
Meow
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Nobody would recruit such a unit though... if all it does is run it has no hope of doing anything useful. You know what I mean? Even noobs have to have at least one good thing going for them :lol2:

EDIT: :lol2: I just realized that Frequently Proposed Idea and Freakishly Powerful Individual share an acronym.
Jean

Post by Jean »

Another unit:

Delusional Noob - lvl 1
He brags about his hacking ability, being a moderator, and having a completely unrealistic power for a not registered user who started playing 3 days ago. Even other level 1 noobs can see the flaws in his speach, but some really inexperienced innocent players can get fooled.
Ability: Leadership

Liar Noob - lvl2
He's got a little more experience, but still cannot resist the urge to be admired, even without merit. He knows a little bit of how the game works, so he can make more refined lies. He can claim to have programmed an obscure campaign, be the creator of a MP map or be a close friend of moderators, who would ban you immediately if he wished so. Of course, the threats never become real actions, and most not-total-noobs noobs :P do not buy the speach so easily.

Evasive Noob - lvl 3
This noob has several times told crap and got caught, so he's learnt in the hard way that public discussions only tend to show his ignorance. Instead, he can claim to be a pro player on teamchat, and use great excuses for his terrible performance. Luck is always against him, the enemy's faction always superior than his, the map never balanced, his wrong-click rate very high, and so on.
He can get offended easily by errors done by even worse players than him, using that to cover his errors, or even justify them. Finally, he is never loosing (at least by his own merit), but that massive unit suicidal he made is just a part of his advanced strategy.
Ex: Even if getting owned, he can use a phrase like "You don't seem to understand my tactic", promising a future shift of balance that will never come (probably he'll just quit before the end of the game).
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Jean wrote:This noob has several times told crap and got caught, so he's learnt in the hard way that public discussions only tend to show his ignorance. Instead, he can claim to be a pro player on teamchat, and use great excuses for his terrible performance. Luck is always against him, the enemy's faction always superior than his, the map never balanced, his wrong-click rate very high, and so on.
He can get offended easily by errors done by even worse players than him, using that to cover his errors, or even justify them. Finally, he is never loosing (at least by his own merit), but that massive unit suicidal he made is just a part of his advanced strategy.
Ex: Even if getting owned, he can use a phrase like "You don't seem to understand my tactic", promising a future shift of balance that will never come (probably he'll just quit before the end of the game).

Absolutely hilarious.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Radament

Post by Radament »

the Jogador

A subcaste of noobs with a distaste for nicknames, hailing from all over the world, with colorful other names such as player, spieler, joueur and gra, among others. They are close cousins of the "i-change-my-nick-after-behaving-like-a-moron"s. Not being able to name or recognize them, interaction with these noobs is often non-existent. The Jogador is like swirling smoke - s/he is intangible, evasive, and lacks a major part of being a human being: a name. This is reflected the ethereal nature of the Jogador with it's high resistances against physical attacks, and it's undead nature.
Jean

Post by Jean »

I guess you know the kind, Turuk :wink:

Reorganizing the unit tree:

Jogador/Jugador/Player/Spieler/Joueur/Gra Noob - lvl 0
Already described by Radament
Advances to: Go Go Guys, Spammer Noob

Go Go Guys - lvl 1
Already described by Bob_The_Mighty
Advances to: Noob Quitter

Noob Quitter - lvl 2
The legend tells about the creator of the generic MP gaming concept, who, humiliated by the total lack of recognition of the world towards him (especially by the female kind), decided to cast a curse upon humanity, and, specifically, MP gamers: The Quitter. Perhaps related to the greys, no one knows where they come from, or where do they go (and sometimes even where they are). Waves of these players keep coming and leaving without prior warning, always with new names, nationalities and personalities. The shorter their visit is, the proportionally longer scenario they choose. Although the terrible threat they present to any serious gamer, they can be countered by some Dev's inventions: Friend list, Lobby name in bold if registered and some previous chat.
Abilities: Nightstalk, Concealment, Teleport, Skirmisher, Poisoned (Has little time, so he looses HP each turn).
Attack specials: Plage (Otherwise, how in hell can there be so many?)
Advances to: Nickshifter Noob (will describe it later)
Jean

Post by Jean »

Nickshifter Noob - lvl 3
A fearsome unit, usually the MP shape of the Forum Flamer. He's sold his inexperienced soul to a very evil MP entity, know by some as "OOS". Now he wanders the virtual realm of Wesnoth's official MP server, with no fix identity, flaming and causing chaos in the lobby, torturing new players by insulting as an observer, suiciding his units on team survivals, always invisible, impossible to ban. Although their number is small, each one of these pure evil beings count as many, as free time, anti-social behavior and incredible persistence seem to be common traits among them.
Abilities: Same as Noob Quitter
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

can us sith get a attack with "enlighten" which allows us to convert noobs to our side after we show them the true way? (much like plague, but "good" ^__^)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well