Hammers era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Relive

Hammers era

Post by Relive »

Hi everybody, I created this era thinking of the amazing Warhammer fantasy background, trying to make a faithful transposition using no trademark names or patchwork-units stolen from other eras. Actually the available factions (in addition to default factions) are three: Imperium, High Elves, and Dwarfs. In a few time I'll finish names and attacks translations (for Dwarfs only), probably with another new playable race added. I hope this idea of mine can please you and if you have balancing suggestions or bug reports write them without problems.
Last edited by Relive on April 14th, 2009, 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catwhowalksbyhimself

Re: The Imperium era

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

If you're actually translating units to Wesnoth format, I'm pretty sure that merely tweaking the names does not avoid making it a copyright violation.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Indeed, if you have stated intentions that it will be a Warhammer faction than a name change will not do it. I would suggest you take your idea and try to put your own spin on it then trying to draw directly from material under copyright.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Relive

Post by Relive »

Well, is not exactly identical, the names are tweaked, the units wholly drawn by me. There are not insignia nor trademarks or copyrights... the default loyalist faction is very similar to Warhammer Empire too, not much more than mine is.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Relive wrote:the default loyalist faction is very similar to Warhammer Empire too, not much more than mine is
In that it has units called swordsman, bowman, sergeant and the like? That's not similarity to Warhammer at all, but similarity to history.

I'm a staunch Warhammer and 40k fan, but they did not exactly reinvent the wheel. ;) If they are not even going to infringe any matter of copyright, then don't talk about them as Warhammer but refer to them as your era you are developing based on personal inspiration. Just drop the Warhammer part and run with your ideas on their own, making sure to avoid associated names or imagery.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

My further advice is to not even try to draw your ideas directly from Warhammer. Instead, get to the base idea behind each faction, then come up with your own ideas for units based on that very basic idea. For example, the basic idea for the Imperials is a high fantasy medieval empire. Start with that and forget completely the exact units used by anyone else, and you'll have a fairly original take on the same basic concept with stealing anyone's ideas.
Relive

Post by Relive »

i can think about it
Relive

Post by Relive »

some unit from the era...
maestro di diamante.png
maestro di diamante.png (9.48 KiB) Viewed 7164 times
mago di diamante.png
mago di diamante.png (6.16 KiB) Viewed 7164 times
archibugiere.png
archibugiere.png (5.36 KiB) Viewed 7166 times
Relive

Post by Relive »

another units...
ogre 2.png
ogre 2.png (7.35 KiB) Viewed 7168 times
elmilv3.png
elmilv3.png (6.82 KiB) Viewed 7171 times
nobilelv3.png
nobilelv3.png (6.22 KiB) Viewed 7169 times
Relive

Post by Relive »

the unit tree of imperium...
albero unità.png
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

FYI, there's already an era called the "Imperial Era", so calling yours the "Imperium Era" could get kind of confusing. You might want to think about coming up with a new name, especially if "Imperium" is in any way related to warhammer.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Turin raises a good point. Why you are free to call your name however you wish, you may cause confusion between users and thus find that they end up playing the Imperial Era over yours.

Imperium is fair game due to it's long historical use before Warhammer, but why not choose a name that better conveys what your era might contain, given that there are three different races in it in the plans?
Relive

Post by Relive »

well now the era have a new name..."Hammers era"
kyi_the_bard

Re: Hammers era

Post by kyi_the_bard »

Are you planning on adding team color to them in any way? That makes everything look better IMO. I'd do it for you, but I have a on-going project.
Meow
MattDakka

Re: Hammers era

Post by MattDakka »

kyi_the_bard wrote:Are you planning on adding team color to them in any way? That makes everything look better IMO. I'd do it for you, but I have a on-going project.
Hi, I'm a co-worker of Relive.
He's busy at the moment, but he assigned me the task of replying in his place.
He wants to keep all colour schemes not team-colourable.
Favourite Eras: Ageless Era; Eastern Europe at War.
Favourite MP Map: Creep War.