Tamers era commentary thread - now with TROLLS

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

deoxy

Tamers era commentary thread - now with TROLLS

Post by deoxy »

Splitting this from Flameslash's thread to avoid threadjacking.

I've been working on the Tamers faction off and on since I starting playing Wesnoth back in 1.2, and I've now added 2 other factions, both troll related.

All three factions have fairly thorough wiki entries:

Dark Trolls

Troll Tribe

Tamers

I stopped development when 1.6 was imminent; I gave it a first test run last night and... epic fail. Can't even start up. The eras are there, but when I choose one of the custom factions, the leader drop down has the correct number of entries, all textless with a question mark for the graphic... Yeah, fun. I'll try to get to that soon(ish).

In the meantime, Turuk seemed to have more he wanted to say, and I love getting feedback, so I thought I'd make a spot for it.

The Tamers faction has about the flavor I want now, but I think the witch is going to get its own flavor instead of the combo-unit it is now (as I found myself NEVER taking one when I play tested), possibly with some interesting magical defenses, teleportation, and low damage output. Also, I had several more ideas for dragons, so I may limit the dragons available in the Tamers faction (and remove the noble, for instance) and create a stand-alone dragon faction. Fire would be the default, but cold and arcane flavored dragons would probabley be available (with the right AMLAs, perhaps).

The Dark Trolls also seem to at least have all the necessary units types - significant balancing is probably in order, and there are a few abilities that need better implementation.

The Troll Tribe is the faction needing the most help. I like what I've got, but it leaves the faction without certain necessary unit types - there's no scout or long-ranged level 1 unit at all, there's no magic or marksman unit of any level (something I think every faction needs), there's no fire, cold, or arcane damage available (something else I think every faction needs at least a little of), and something with leadership wouldn't hurt (though not necessary - the drummer unit can fill that role).

So, there it is - feedback welcome (especially the constructive kind).

Disclaimer: the troll factions are probably in need of some serious balancing.
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Tamers era commentary thread - now with TROLLS

Post by Turuk »

Woot. I am curious, I always am when things seem well-thought out, though of course I'll have to get into it and see how it goes. If you need helps with making bits of your code work, such as the images showing in the list, send it my way in a PM, I've coded a couple eras in the past.

I am heading off to get some sleep shortly, but I will give you some feedback in the morning when I can sit down and properly go through the pages, as well as maybe a few ideas for the trolls.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

The problem seems to be bigger than just the images - it can't seem to find the units themselves. The leader dropdown has the right number of choices in it, and it tries to find whichever one you pick (though they have no text or picture, so it's hard to know which is which), but it gives an error message about not finding the actual UNIT.

I put some time into it late Friday... I downloaded a few other era packs from the server for comparison, and it seems to be done in the same style as those, and they work, so I'm pretty frustrated at the moment.

It's really quite annoying. I'll try to put some more time in on it this week, but I'll be out of town this weekend, so it's not looking good... :-(
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Deoxy, if you fire it my way, I can take a look at it and do some work on it to try to help you out if you like in turns of making it work properly.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Tamers era 0.5.0 now on the server!

It's a REAL quick conversion, with very few bug fixes. I changed the movetype and defense names (grassland to flat, etc) and a very few other things, so there may be some things that don't work right in 1.6 yet. For instance...

Known bug: when a dragon hatchling levels, it crashes, with some weird message about an unknown unit type "" (that's blank) when generating traits. ??

Anyway, there it is. I hope to make further progress into making it fully 1.6 compatible next week. Hope you like it!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

It doesn't have a proper type. Use type=era.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Oops. :oops:

I'll get that fixed sometime next week - I'm leaving town right after work today, and the weekend is booked solid. I probably won't touch a keyboard until I come back to work on Monday...
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

OK, I fixed the type, but I didn't really have any time to test anything else. Anybody tried it out yet? If so, any ideas what is going on with the Hatchling? Weirdest error ever...
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

I'm just curious, is this still being worked on? I was looking forward to seeing more progress in this era.
My_Own_Minion: get rid of the scientist, i can take the blind guy

Talkative: You're like the Wizard of Oz, but evil.

Add-ons in 1.8: Golbeeze's Maps, Golbeeze's RPGs, Evolving Era
Contributor to and Maintainer of Mercenaries
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

I work on it from time to time. My personal life has been extraordinarily busy lately, so I haven't gotten anything done since the last post here, and the 1.6 conversion is not exactly finished (it plays, but the dragon hatchling has problems, and other testing is spotty at best). I'm hoping to get back to it sometime this summer, after a few things get resolved.

That said, getting feedback is always encouraging. Have any content-related commentary?
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

Well, from my experience with it in 1.4, I enjoyed the options available for leveled up dragon units. Its been a rather long time since I've played with Tamers though. I'll play with them when I have more free time. I'm on the forums more than in-game these days.

deoxy

Post by deoxy »

I understand that! I probably haven't fired up the game in almost a month now, other than the quick-and-dirty conversion to 1.6.

As to the dragons, I think I'm going to make an entire dragon faction, and remove some of the options from the dragon line in Tamers - Noble Hatchlings, for instance. I think those will only be available for the Dragon faction. Also, I think I'll add some way to have different "element" dragons (cold and arcane), but only for the actual dragon faction.

Or, well, I want to get around to that sometime... saying I'm "going to do it" is probably saying it a little to strong. :(
Golbeeze

Post by Golbeeze »

I was wondering if Tamers had any hope of being released to 1.8? If not, could I have the code to bring it up to speed?

deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Wow, great to have some real interest in my work!

I actually have managed to play some Wesnoth in since 1.8 came out, which is nice, but I haven't really dug into the WML at all yet. I've still got all the Tamers stuff, but I never got it fully into a.6 even, so converting to 1.8 seems a bit... daunting.

And my personal life is crazy right now, too. Seems to be that way most of the time, with so many small kids around. Sigh.

Anyway, if I get a chance to get it functioning in 1.8 (or even mostly functioning), I'll throw it on the server and let you have a go at it.