The War of Terrador: RIP

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragonchampion

Re: The War of Terrador: Balancing Thread

Post by Dragonchampion »

D'oh! :oops:

Okay, thanks.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

When in doubt, make sure that the path that you are using is the correct one. Don't worry, I had to have a WML duel with zookeeper over the matter of the answer, and I lost, so we have both had a humbling moment today.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Who has gotten this download? Please tell me what you think!
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

The computer like Anti-tank Soldiers too much. And Wasps.

Terradorian Fleet

The Armies Of The Terrador don't only cover the ground. They cover Space too, making them a formidable force.

The Fighter Ship Line

The Scout Ship Line, altered to have anti-fighter cannons

Rhino Transport - Elephant Transport
(Rhino Transport has high HP and Light Cannons, Elephant Transport has higher HP and Medium Cannons. Both can deploy Marines)
Marine - Orbital Marine
(Marines can be deployed into your Cap-ship to fight raiders or the enemy Cap-ship to raid. Orbital Marines can move in Space)

Probably a Bomber

Cap-ship
(Extremely high HP (750 or something), powerful attacks (15-10, 150-1, etc), low movement (4). Can be boarded like ships in The High Seas)
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

(Not to do with balance)

Isn't "Rhino Transport" a little too close to the Space Marine Rhino? Is there potential copyright issues with it? (I know Games Workshop are quite hot on copyright issues)
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Perhaps a different name would suffice, but given that it is an animal and this is for a space ship and not a tank-like vehicle...
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Personally, i'd avoid it just to be on the safe side. A non-transport vehicle named a rhino would be OK, I think, but Rhino Transport is exactly the name used by WH40K. Pick another animal, or just y'know, an original name...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Flameslash

Post by Flameslash »

Ok, Whale Transport.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Ummmm... Do you know how HARD it would be to be able to make units be recruited around the Whale any and all times the player wishes? And do you know how fricking hard that would be to balance? I think that we have enough units for now, and we should think about balancing and the campaign before we add more units. After the campaign is done, we can then think about adding things.

Anyone else that has a unit idea needs to PM me instead of cluttering the Balance thread after version 1.0.0 comes out.

deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Comment on the "No plasma weapons" thing: plasma weapons are a Sci-Fi staple. They have appeared in many, MANY books by many different authors. Halo has absolutely no claim to them. Somebody mentioned WH40K - they've got plasma weapons, too (for just once easy example).

Making stuff that shares no names with any existing sci-fi is exceptionally difficult, as the topic has been quite thoroughly mined (in both senses of the word, really).

That said, the "Rhino transport" thing is probably a good idea to stay away from - it's a specific and highly visible unit in 40K.

Even the "space marines vs bugs" thing is a mega-ripoff of certain old sci-fi books - it's been done in book, movie, and video and table-top game forms by a multitude of different groups. Infringing copyright on this topic would essentially require using proper names and graphic likenesses. Almost anything else that someone could claim as infringing is something they themselves could be just as well accused of infringing on.
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Indeed. Things which are generic are fine. Plasma weapons? Fine. Space marines vs bugs? Fine (as long as you take Space Marine to mean soldier in space rather than Adeptus Astartes) - in fact, has been done many, many times. 'Rhino transport' as a name? Iffy, and best avoided just in case. Copying the WH40k Rhino? Not fine.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Alright, but I came up of something that every Star-Trek fan will recognize: Photon weapons.

Anyways, guys, Have you tried it? If so, tell me what you think.

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

You'd probably be OK with Photon, but they're less generic and less meaningful and obviously dangerous-sounding than plasma.
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Well, Plasma I was saving for another faction that will appear at the end of the first campaign, and I will code em them later. They will be a band of System-Destroyers, that move from system to system, devouring resourcesm from every planet they can. It was them who manipulated the humans to start the nuclear war.

Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Okay, I am going to need a thread just for the use of balancing units and scenarios, now that 0.1.9 is out, with the first campaign scenario working. Please mods, lock this thread, as I am making a new one.