Ranged Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mich
Translator

Re: Ranged Era

Post by mich »

Version 0.3.7 is out.

This is mostly a bugfix release. I have fixed all the deserialization problem and some others bugs. There is also a better walls support and now all the impassable terrain are supported. I've added a note to the unit description where you can finally see how long a unit can shoot (yes, I know that a better way is needed). Other than that I have extended the range of loyalist longbowman and master bowman to 3 hexes.

Have fun.
mich
Translator

Post by mich »

Sorry for the third post in a row, but version 0.4.0 is out (only for wesnoth 1.7/1.8 ).
I had already uploaded it some days ago, but it seems disappeared from the add-on server, so I have reuploaded it now. If someone has removed it with a reason, please, let me know it.
The changes are really a lot, the bigger one is that now in the targeting phase a select event is used instead to select the attacker. But this isn't the only change, I have rewritten a lot of code, and plan to complete the rewriting in the next release (now all is working, but the code can be quicker and simpler).
Look at the changelog for the others changes.

Let me know if you prefer this new system or the old one with two right click.
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Amazing, I'm gonna download and try it.
Favourite Eras: Ageless Era; Eastern Europe at War.
Favourite MP Map: Creep War.
Sky_Father

Post by Sky_Father »

I'd just like to say this is excelent, keep up the good work!
Nicknick

Post by Nicknick »

Hello, how can i play campaigns with this?
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

You can't. This was only made for multiplayer games and there is no campaign currently using it. Anyone is free to make one though.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
Nicknick

Post by Nicknick »

oww :(
mich
Translator

Post by mich »

Well, if you know how to make a campaign, you can copy the macro used in this era and create a campaign where yours units have long range attacks. But remember that the ai can't use it. There is a file in the pack with some information on how to use the code, but at the moment is a little out of date. I have rewritten part of the code but not completely finished the work, so the code at the moment is working but it's not really polished. If you are really interested to use it in some projects and need help contact me, but remember that I'm not much motivated because in the past I have already helped 2 guys to understand and use the code, but at the end nothing is come out of this.
Other than this, I still plan to work on this era, but I have never loved it, I have just made it to see if my ability with wml was good enought and to give people complaining about the lacking of real ranged attack something to play with. So don't expect a lot of update in the short time.
Nicknick

Post by Nicknick »

mich
Heh well i dont think im that far yet. Why didnt you like it.

Looking at your stats.. my intention was originally to remove multitile/hex ranged ability from everyone but actually archers,(everyone else keeps their regular 1tile "ranged") and make all them strictly 1-2 tiles, and reduce their damage by 33%. This would not violate KISS, minimize needed changes, and keep the archer unique, as there is no reason currently in the game to buy an archer instead of a mage. Developers stated reason for absence of ranged are "bugged" and "hard to protect units". Your mod proves the opposite. And for the second there are many similar games, with ranged abilities. Take Battle Isle 1/2/3 series, which should be familiar to anyone who knows BfW, as it is pretty much exactly the same game. It has ranged units plenty, with ranges up to 6 tiles and pretty popular multiplayer(PBEM). And balanced too.
PaulInBHC

Post by PaulInBHC »

mich, nice to see you post again. I was able to get your era to work with the 1940 era. Thank you for your work on this. I had forgotten that the AI cannot use this.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

@Nick: This era does change the game/unbalance it immensely. Making it so that ranged units can attack at a range would make it essentially impossible to hold ground once critical mass is achieved. It makes is much harder to shield units effectively and unless the prices are heavily tweaked it would create massive factional imbalances. It would in essence be a new game if you set out to balance it properly. It would just be a new game with the exact same factions and most of the basic rules. The way it would play and the costs/stats of the units would be very different.

EDIT:Having ranged attacks works for other games, they were designed to work that way. Wesnoth is not (the note about it being buggy is from when having ranged attacks was apart of the game and the developer decided to remove it).

I personally think that Wesnoth is more strategically interesting the way it is now. The requirement that you must stand next to an opponent to attack them creates more tactical conflict (conflict of interests and things for the tactician to consider) than there would be if this era were used as the standard.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
PaulInBHC

Post by PaulInBHC »

To add to what Velensk said, other games that have range also have code to effect the damage that a projectile does based on distance, angle, terrain, armour, etc.
Nicknick

Post by Nicknick »

Well, im not exactly agreeing, or disagreeing with your opinions(based on nothing). Ranged units put a bit more pressure on player, with an added effect of more tactical depth, literally speaking. Easier turtle breaking equals slightly faster game and puts more emphasis on units with pierce resistance, thats all. That is no more tanking with mages.

As both sides have range, its just as possible to hold ground as to successfully attack, as demonstrated by other games, which indeed could vary damage based on terrain, but so does BfW. Chance to evade, varying hitpoints and so on. Everything applies to everything. In full compliance with KISS.

But yes, changing the game that age would probably not gonna happen anymore, thats why we are here in the mod section, just wanted to remind everyone.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Nicknick wrote:But yes, changing the game that age would probably not gonna happen anymore, thats why we are here in the mod section, just wanted to remind everyone.
The point Velensk was making was not that he thought any work with this, or by someone using this, would ever get mainlined. He was just pointing out that any other eras that use this capability for ranged attacks are going to vastly change how people normally play the game, and so do not be surprised if interest in such a thing does not take off.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Nicknick

Post by Nicknick »

Turuk wrote:
The point Velensk was making was not that he thought any work with this, or by someone using this, would ever get mainlined. He was just pointing out that any other eras that use this capability for ranged attacks are going to vastly change how people normally play the game, and so do not be surprised if interest in such a thing does not take off.
I understand, thanks, and already acknowledged it by saying that he has no factual reasoning of saying so. A unit is a unit. Say there would be a unit doing 99-9 blade damage. Now Velensk claims this makes all melee unbalanced. Im not arguing that, why would i, thats his opinion, no matter how strange. The truth is adding new units will always affect vanilla balance, for worse or better, thats why im saying again we are here in the mod section. :)