Microorganisms Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ideans

Microorganisms Era

Post by ideans »

Who want to play HIV with leadership attack? Suggestions welcome.

Factions:
Parasites
Virus
Candida
Bacteria

and weapons such as antibiotics, hallucinogens, antidepressants...
woodmouse

Re: Microorganisms Era

Post by woodmouse »

I like this idea. I could do some sprites, if you want. Anyway, I have idea: maybe also Infected monsters? If no, just ignore this post.
Check out my sprites!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

woodmouse wrote:I like this idea. I could do some sprites, if you want. Anyway, I have idea: maybe also Infected monsters? If no, just ignore this post.
Are you mad? As I said somewhere else, the sprite<->sprite size scale in Wesnoth does matter. If you want microorganisms, I assure you you can't even fit them in a single pixel.

EDIT: nothing of this is serious... right? Right? Please tell me it isn't serious. :cry:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Shadow Master wrote:
woodmouse wrote:I like this idea. I could do some sprites, if you want. Anyway, I have idea: maybe also Infected monsters? If no, just ignore this post.
Are you mad? As I said somewhere else, the sprite<->sprite size scale in Wesnoth does matter. If you want microorganisms, I assure you you can't even fit them in a single pixel.

EDIT: nothing of this is serious... right? Right? Please tell me it isn't serious. :cry:
Why did you quote my post? :? I can't get it...
Check out my sprites!
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

woodmouse wrote:Why did you quote my post? :? I can't get it...
Shadow Master's point is that units need to be drawn to the same physical scale as other units, or the game doesn't look good.

As a microorganism is at least 1000x smaller than anything it could infect, it is simply impossible to draw microorganisms and infected monsters on the same scale in our system. Thus, trying to combine the two into one era would not look good.

Putting aside the whole infected monsters idea, a microorganisms era could be good for a laugh. I can just see the great expanse of blobby, cillia-strewn bacteria battling the virus hordes...
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Shadow Master wrote:

Please tell me you are not serious. :|
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

zookeeper wrote:
Shadow Master wrote: Are you mad? As I said somewhere else, the sprite<->sprite size scale in Wesnoth does matter. If you want microorganisms, I assure you you can't even fit them in a single pixel.

Please tell me you are not serious. :|
Me? Well, I thought that I could make some human size sprites that look like... some weird blobs. :lol:
Check out my sprites!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Then they would be macroorganisms. ;)

And zookeeper was directing that to me. Yes, I am serious. How can anyone represent microorganisms in Wesnoth in a way that doesn't go against the logic of them being microorganisms in the first place? I mean, I'd make a blob era instead.

Why HIV should have leadership anyway?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Kess

Post by Kess »

:lol2: I like this idea very much! Especially with some nice looking art. I guess you’d be able to come up with some interesting abilities. ;)

Since the scale between microorganisms and, say, dwarfs are so great I have no trouble at all seeing the unit graphics as mere representations.
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

hmmm,

actually a pixel could represent a cloud of about 10 billion bacterias ?
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

I don't really see a problem with the scale. Each unit could just be a mass of little dots. I'm sure the average player is smart enough to infer that each dot represents a bit more than one bacteria/virus :roll:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Sangel wrote:
woodmouse wrote:Why did you quote my post? :? I can't get it...
Shadow Master's point is that units need to be drawn to the same physical scale as other units, or the game doesn't look good.

As a microorganism is at least 1000x smaller than anything it could infect, it is simply impossible to draw microorganisms and infected monsters on the same scale in our system. Thus, trying to combine the two into one era would not look good.

Putting aside the whole infected monsters idea, a microorganisms era could be good for a laugh. I can just see the great expanse of blobby, cillia-strewn bacteria battling the virus hordes...
You do realise that the criticism you apply to bacteria vs monsters in terms of scale also applies to viruses vs bacteria and to bacteria vs any form of eukaryotic parasite, right? Most bacteria are several orders of magnitude smaller than the average eukaryote cell, and most viruses are several orders of magnitude smaller still.

If you want to be scientific about the scales involved, this just doesn't work. But really, who cares - make all three roughly the same apparent size, and you can have great fun.

This bacteriophage, in particular, would make a very cool unit. Yes, it is real.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Not to poke a stick in the spokes of this argument, but I just want to point out that the OP never posted again past his original idea, so it's hard to have any clue as to what he was thinking for scale or if this is even going anywhere. ;)

I agree with just accepting that any accurate representation would be impossible, and so the creator would just have to take creative license with this.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

Shadow Master wrote:As I said somewhere else, the sprite<->sprite size scale in Wesnoth does matter. If you want microorganisms, I assure you you can't even fit them in a single pixel.
HAPMA = Hexes Are Possibly Micrometers Across :P

A new scale would require to change everything, starting with terrains and... villages. Perhaps the players could be virii, and the "villages" would be infected cells?
(The complete change would be something like Spacenoth; just in the opposite dimension.)
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

an interesting idea (that everyone seems to have forgotten about). are you planning for there keep the theme, with viral wizards and so on?

what faction would ameoba's be in?