Nightmares of Meloen faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

StDrake

Re: Nightmares of Meloen faction

Post by StDrake »

After those months I'm risking that this thread is abandonned, but there's a rather annoying bug in NoM
-in file utils/glowing_rune_terrains.cfg the rune terrain names are missing their .png extensions
that's a little annoying cause if i have the addon present, then every time i go into an mp game it floods out several lines about that invalid wml
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Nightmares of Meloen V1.0.0

Post by FAAB »

The new version 1.0.0 is now available on both servers.

The changes visible to the players are:
All versions:
  • - art: new sprites from mysticX_th_unknown
  • - HTP: add icons in menu and portrait in how-to-play dialogs
  • - bug: fixes a bug that made uncursable a unit cleared from curse on leveling
  • - l10n: updated translations
1.9 serie version only:
  • - revealing unstable elemental variations is automatic at game startup
  • - AI: the customized AI is automatically used when playing the era
  • - AI: add a lua AI selectable at startup for AI sides
The change in major version number could make people think of fundamental changes.
That would be a mistake: the last change worth mentioning, only visible on the 1.9 serie server, is a new era called Nightmares of Meloen(devel).
This era is designed to host some changes that could break the balance and thus are not done in the stable era.
The current changes in this devel era are:
  • - stats: raise minimum defense for cursed units to 20%
  • - specials: the curse status gets healed by regeneration
  • - stats: reduce the fire power of Scornful Watcher's line to 10-3 (level 2) and 14-3 (level3)
  • - stats: raise required XP to level for Spiteful Watcher to 90
  • - specials: removal of the berserk special on the angry line; changes in XP
We are supporting translation for Nightmares of Meloen. So if anyone feels like contributing a translation, here is the current po file to use:
nom.po
Latest po file for translators
(27.97 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
Send me the translation (po file modified through poedit) via PM. Please, specify the lingua for which you have made the translation.

My release process is rusty, so errors might have got in; do not to wait six months before reporting bugs.
-in file utils/glowing_rune_terrains.cfg the rune terrain names are missing their .png extensions
That got solved in the process.
Last edited by FAAB on February 5th, 2012, 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are highly interested in translation for Nightmares of Meloen. Incomplete translations are appreciated too!
So if anyone is kind enough to contribute for a translation, here is the po file to use.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I don't know if you've looked into the WML workshop recently but support has been added for custom status effects and there is a sticky post detailing how that is to be done. You might want to take a look at it for the 'cursed' special.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Nightmares of Meloen V1.0.1

Post by FAAB »

The new version 1.0.1 is now available on both servers.

The changes visible to the players are:
All versions:
  • - art: sprites update for rash and reckless ones by mystic x the unknown
  • - HTP: numerous fixes in the grammar
  • - bug: fixes a bug that made the opposing creepers count in banding
1.9 serie version only:
  • - the random leader is selected by default when picking up Nightmares
  • - bug: fix uncurse macro for unwalkable and impassable terrains
  • - I18N: make missing strings translatable
The era called Nightmares of Meloen(devel) is designed to host some changes that could break the balance and thus are not done in the stable era.
The new changes in this devel era (only visible on the 1.9 serie server) are:
  • - specials: turn the angry line damage to impact (3 strikes)
  • - art: new sprites for the angry line by mystic x the unknown
  • - race: make elemental not living (immune to drain, plague, poison and curse)
  • - specials: drop slow special for the ice form of elemental
  • - specials: drop ranged attack for the bramble form of elemental
  • - stats: increase by 2 the damage of melee attack for the bramble of elemental
Previous changes:
We are highly interested in translation for Nightmares of Meloen. Incomplete translations are appreciated too!
So if anyone is kind enough to contribute for a translation, here is the current po file to use. Send me the translation (po file modified through poedit) via PM. Please, specify the lingua for which you have made the translation:
af ang ang@latin ar bg ca ca_ES@valencia cs da de el en_GB en@shaw es eo et eu fi fr fur_IT ga gl he hr hu id is it ja ko la lt lv mk mr nl nb_NO pl pt pt_BR racv ro ru sk sl sr sr@ijekavian sr@ijekavianlatin sr@latin sv tl tr vi zh_CN zh_TW
Velensk wrote:support has been added for custom status effects and there is a sticky post detailing how that is to be done. You might want to take a look at it for the 'cursed' special.
Thanks for the tip. I got it implemented, but unfortunately it doesn't work well enough to be mentioned. Check the code in the stable era.
Last edited by FAAB on August 8th, 2012, 6:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
keithicus

Post by keithicus »

This is a pretty fun faction to play, but a small little bug report (if this doesn't go here since I found the bug with the faction itself then my apologies)

(Wesnoth 1.9.9) It appears that whenever I jinx a vampire bat on a village it gains 15% defense instead of losing 15%. It's showing the 65% defense rating everywhere that I looked (I don't have much knowledge of the code involved so I didn't poke around there). I didn't see this effect outside of a bat in a village.

Also: is it possible for a future update to include a "default+khalifate+nightmares" era? I know I could probably make that fairly easy with some copy-pasting of text but it'd be nice for an option that's already there for when I'm having fun with my friends.
Attachments
Jinx.JPG
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Post by FAAB »

keithicus wrote:This is a pretty fun faction to play
Hi keithicus,
it is always nice to see positive comments on the faction!
keithicus wrote:(Wesnoth 1.9.9) It appears that whenever I jinx a vampire bat on a village it gains 15% defense instead of losing 15%. It's showing the 65% defense rating everywhere that I looked (I don't have much knowledge of the code involved so I didn't poke around there). I didn't see this effect outside of a bat in a village.
I've released a revision 1.0.2 on the BFW 1.9.x server that fix the problem. Thanks for the report!
As a cookie, you will get some sprite upgrade from mystic_X_th_unknown and a new attack icon for the impact attack for Unhatched level-ups.
keithicus wrote:Also: is it possible for a future update to include a "default+khalifate+nightmares" era? I know I could probably make that fairly easy with some copy-pasting of text but it'd be nice for an option that's already there for when I'm having fun with my friends.
Just adding the Khalifate faction in the faction list is a no-go: we have worked hard to try to be balanced with default. We cannot jeopardize the work we have done just for the fun of playing Khalifate.
Now, adding full support to Khalifate would be a nice project to bring this faction back to life.
I haven't paid a lot of attention to them recently and I can't say how Mightmares are faring against them.
If anyone has any evidence that Nightmares could be reasonably well balanced against them, I could have a shot at it.

PS: the new version is not available for BFW 1.8.x. I am not sure I will keep supporting 1.8 as I myself can't run it anymore.
Last edited by FAAB on December 5th, 2011, 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

This might be a general lack of understanding in how to use mods, but I can't seem to select this faction after downloading the update. Success was reported, but no Nightmares of Meloen on the faction list, just the usual bunch.

This is with Wesnoth 1.9.11.

EDIT: Ah, I see I need to adjust the era.
yoyo34290

Post by yoyo34290 »

Hello, I am part of the French translation team, I want to finish the translation of your campaign. But there are two versions of the file.

- One of the gettext: 319 strings.

- One on the forum: 152 strings.

Is this normal?

Cordially.
BioHazardX

Post by BioHazardX »

I think the new file updated is that one with 152 strings, where all the old manual about the game strategies was removed (sincerely it was too boring to translate it :roll: ) but I'm not sure. We hope FAAB will give us some explanations...
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Post by FAAB »

Hi guys,
BioHazardX wrote:I think the new file updated is that one with 152 strings, where all the old manual about the game strategies was removed (sincerely it was too boring to translate it :roll: )
That is exactly it.

We have decided that the how-to-play ("old manual about the game strategies") was a long part to translate and that might deter some potential translator to help us with Nightmares of Meloen. So that all .po files attached on the forum have that part removed (and a new version is attached here under).
On the other hand, the wescamp/gettext routine is taking everything. I have to work out a way to teach wescamp/gettext to bypass that part too or to have NoM removed from it at once. It seems like this is connected to the translatable tag in .pbl file but I haven't had time to look further.

Of course, if you have done the translation for the how-to-play, we don't want to lose it. So that requires more time to check.
Best regards.
Attachments
nom.po
po file with new descriptions.
(32.72 KiB) Downloaded 560 times
So if anyone is kind enough to contribute for a translation, here is the po file to use.
BioHazardX

Post by BioHazardX »

Hi.

I've just completed the Italian translation for this era, see the attachment. You can include it in the next version and remove the old one :D .

Best regards.
Attachments
nightmares_of_meloen_it_translation.zip
Nightmares of Meloen new italian translation at 100%
(41.68 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Nightmares of Meloen v 1.0.3

Post by FAAB »

A new version 1.0.3 is now available on the BFW 1.10 add-on server.
It contains heavy work from Nothsa on unit description with no unit having incomplete description anymore. Yeah!

I have updated the script for how-to-play generation so that po files on forum and gettext should match by the time of the next gettext synchro.
In the meantime, if anyone can update the polish translation here-under that would be greatly appreciated!

A small fix on the terrain link ability of the Unstable elemental is released too with the Frozen form being now active on all snow aliases (snowy hills, snowy forest, ...).

Thanks for everyone's interest in Nightmares of Meloen's improvements.

[edit] New German translation is on the add-on server[/edit]
Attachments
pl.po
Polish translation to update
(47.52 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
Last edited by FAAB on August 8th, 2012, 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

In case someone is still maintaining this era...
Yesterday, I decided to translate this era to German. The only string missing is a part where I do not exactly know what it means (although I am not sure about all my translations).

PS: Also translated the background file.

PPS: Update to the translation.
Attachments
Nightmares.po
Updated version
(70.77 KiB) Downloaded 525 times
historic_nightmares_de.txt
(4.59 KiB) Downloaded 505 times
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Version 1.0.4 is on server for BFW 1.10.x

Post by FAAB »

A new version 1.0.4 is available on the BFW 1.10.x's add-on server.
It includes:
  • - New sprites for Quake form of the Unstable Elemental.
  • - Updated German translation.
This is the only change in stable era (listed as "Default+Nightmares"). This version will get no update anymore and eventually be dropped. So that I advice everyone to switch to the devel era.

The devel era (listed as "Default+(dev)Nightmares") has the following changes:
  • - Creepers is turning chaotic and getting an additional fearless trait.
  • - Creepers melee reduced to 3 and price lowered to 5 gold.
  • - Creepers change sprite from first AMLA.
  • - Reduce Egg line resistance to blade to 20%.
  • - Reduce melee by one on Life Thief line (to help undead).
  • - Increase HP for Floating Darkness line by [5,6,6]. Reduce cost by [1,2,3] (to compensate for Thief line loss of power against Drakes).
  • - Darkness (Floating Darkness and Thief lines) movetype get pierce resistance increased to 30% (decrease usefulness of archers).
  • - Fix bug for curing curse on recall and advance.
Previous changes in devel era:
Thanks again to anyone who can help with translation.
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

It's good to see this era is still maintained!

Not long ago i asked some of the top ladder players to have a nom session with previous version. Although having no time to delve into details now, i'll come back later with some balance-related insightful textwall.