Nightmares of Meloen faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

homunculus

Re: Nightmares of Meloen faction

Post by homunculus »

I am quite bored with the game otherwise (except drawing sometimes), but this faction has been very refreshing and interesting to play.
I don't play multiplayer, so I have been doing this in campaigns (and then manually replacing rectuit lists in scenarios):
Spoiler:
Would be nice if there were single player campaigns for that faction (to my knowledge, right now there is only World Conquest which does not seem to work in single player).
campaign ruthless in your nearest 1.11 add-on server
some wesnoth-related drawings
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Version 1.1.3 is available for BFW 1.11

Post by FAAB »

A new version 1.1.2 is available on the BFW 1.11.x's add-on server of devel era (listed as "Default+(dev)Nightmares").
It includes the following fixes:
  • - Remove curse healing from enemy healers.
  • - Fix jinx floating label when used in defense.
  • - Do not count upkeep for banding group around loyal creeper.
The new portraits from LordBob have been hooked into the 2 aberration lines.
He produced great drawings and they bring the experience of playing Nightmares of Meloen to a new level.
Let me thank him for taking this as seriously as he did for mainline work. I also want to thank everyone who made this excellent work possible.

Similar changes are done in stable era (listed as "Default+Nightmares") on BFW 1.10.x add-on server. This version will get no update anymore and eventually be dropped. So that I advice everyone to switch to the devel era.
Previous changes in devel era:
Thanks again to anyone who can help with translation based on po file here-under.
homunculus wrote:Would be nice if there were single player campaigns for that faction (to my knowledge, right now there is only World Conquest which does not seem to work in single player).
Let me clear that World Conquest can be played in MP local mode if you are interested (single player playing 1 to 3 sides).
If so, you'd better try it on 1.11 using World Conquest UMC+modifications (see WC thread in Multiplayer subforum)

People in the team are more MP oriented so that a single player campaign is not our priority. Of course we would help anyone that would engage in this endeavor if we can.

[edit]A small update is on the server.
It includes a kind of "leading animation" for the Howling Darkness (based on alpha changes).
Otherwise, it is mainly a technical release where the structure of files is changed (devel era is now renamed "Default+(lts)Nightmares").
[/edit]
Attachments
NoM.po
Latest po file for translations of NoM
(32.72 KiB) Downloaded 781 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello, big fan of Nightmares faction here.

I do not know the current maintainer of this faction, so I'm writing what I have to say here - May I please use this faction in my campaign? :)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Post by FAAB »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:May I please use this faction in my campaign? :)
Feel free to do it. Please update your post to put a link to the thread for development of the campaign if you start it.
Good luck!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Feel free to do it. Please update your post to put a link to the thread for development of the campaign if you start it.
Good luck!
Thank you. :D

I was planning on including them in my campaign's episodes 3 and 4 (which I will be making in due time).
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Morgemil

Post by Morgemil »

I noticed a bug with Jinx weapon special. If cursed unit was healed from curse and then this unit advance, all of the curses come back and even worse, they stack together and it goes lower than 10% up to 0% terain defense

edit: and of course this cant be healed anymore

edit2: I have version 1.1.3 of this addon

edit3: same if unit advances with curse on seld (it clear curse effect) and again advance without curse effect
Morgemil

Post by Morgemil »

Morgemil wrote:I noticed a bug with Jinx weapon special. If cursed unit was healed from curse and then this unit advance, all of the curses come back and even worse, they stack together and it goes lower than 10% up to 0% terain defense

edit3: same if unit advances with curse on seld (it clear curse effect) and again advance without curse effect

it looks working without filter for cursed unit in post advance event.
just with this in event

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=post advance
    first_time_only=no

{MACRO_UNCURSE unit {NOM_CURSE_IMAGE_STATUS}}
[/event]
Morgemil

Post by Morgemil »

Morgemil wrote:
Morgemil wrote:I noticed a bug with Jinx weapon special. If cursed unit was healed from curse and then this unit advance, all of the curses come back and even worse, they stack together and it goes lower than 10% up to 0% terain defense

it looks working without filter for cursed unit in post advance event.
just with this in event

[event]
    name=post advance
    first_time_only=no

{MACRO_UNCURSE unit {NOM_CURSE_IMAGE_STATUS}}
[/event]
I see its bad idea, it makes another bug

edit: so I added condition in MACRO_UNCURSE that these settings:

[set_variable]
        name={UNIT}.defense.deep_water
        value=${UNIT}.variables.memo_def.deep_water
    [/set_variable]
will execute only if that variable {UNIT}.variables.memo_def.deep_water doesnt equal "" and it looks working
Weslyphon

Post by Weslyphon »

Thread's been inactive since late 2013.
Yikes.

So I was wondering if there's a current maintainer of this faction or not?
And if not, I shall be taking the task on myself.
It will be a while before I've got it updated to 1.12, but I am determined to see this revived.
Watch this space
afre

Post by afre »

I used to play this faction all the time despite it's bugginess and imbalance. I might dip my toes into this one — not necessarily to maintain or debug but to understand WML more. Not much in terms of commitment but just getting it out there that the faction's receiving some attention in 2015.
Last edited by afre on December 23rd, 2015, 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Post by FAAB »

Wow, two years...

At the time, I don't think the faction was known for her "bugginess".
About imbalance, that is difficult to say as it was not known for having many players either.
Was it hot and hugely played in some parallel universe?

It is ok for someone to put the add-on on the latest server if the WML is up-to-date.
afre wrote:I used to play this faction all the time despite it's bugginess and imbalance. I might dip my toes into this one — not necessarily to maintain or debug but to understand WML more. Not much in terms of commitment but just getting it out there that the faction's receiving some attention in 2015.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've always liked the nightmares but some of the code definitely is quirky. I didn't notice any bugs but it definitely would not surprise me if they were there.

Balance though is an interesting complaint though as I've always felt that once you get used to them they actually have a lot of surprising balanced match-ups vs default relative to most UM factions.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
FAAB
Inactive Developer

Post by FAAB »

Velensk wrote:I've always liked the nightmares but some of the code definitely is quirky.
Dear sir Velensk, your kind words always was the best support this faction had.
We are grateful to you!
Balance though is an interesting complaint though as I've always felt that once you get used to them they actually have a lot of surprising balanced match-ups vs default relative to most UM factions.
To be exhaustive, I met again someone on the server who remind me of some issue he reported with
the balance years ago. His conclusion was that our claim at balance was limited only to how we designed
the faction to be played. An example being that while the design is to use Life Thief against Drakes (with
balanced matchup), spamming eggs is good enough to give Drakes no chance according to him.

Just wanted to make clear that anyone who thinks the balance is not there yet, he should not think he is
only one to think so. It is just the evidences that are not available to us.
afre

Post by afre »

FAAB/Velensk: great to hear from you.
afre wrote:I used to play this faction all the time despite it's bugginess and imbalance.
Please focus on the first part. I didn't mean to incite yet-another-debate on (perceived) bugs or imbalance :Awesome:. Nightmares is a favorite of mine and so I wanted to thank past contributors and encourage people (e.g. Weslyphon or mystic x the unknown) to give it another go. Since I am here, I will qualify the latter end of the sentence. I don't play Wesnoth much anymore except to check on its progress. This will be by memory and feeling, so if you want specifics I wouldn't mind playtesting some more.
Velensk wrote:I've always liked the nightmares but some of the code definitely is quirky.
Quirky code probably takes more work to port and fix. In the latest, I encountered some unexpected attribute/ability behaviours and some compatibility complaints. I've also tried playing the add-on with the latest dev/stable Wesnoth versions (beyond the server one). In that use case, the custom AI kept on crashing Wesnoth (see report). But according to shadowm, add-ons shouldn't be able to crash Wesnoth, so maybe it isn't the custom AI's fault.
FAAB wrote:Just wanted to make clear that anyone who thinks the balance is not there yet, he should not think he is only one to think so. It is just the evidences that are not available to us.
I will clarify what I meant by imbalance. It might also have to do with the way I play MP: I almost always play against multiple AI and never with/against people.

The best way to describe it is to say that mainline AIs don't play very well with Nightmares. I.e., it looks like they don't know what to do with each other. Perhaps this is intentional since Nightmares are supposed to be freakish and odd. Or it's the consequence of being UMC, which is generally less polished. In any case, in mainline/Nightmare matches, there appears to be many more unforced errors compared to mainline-only matches.
mystic x the unknown

Post by mystic x the unknown »

The faction is now available on the add-on server as a part of Grafted Era. The era has game-creation options that let you disable all the other Grafted Era factions. What's missing compared to the old NoM release is custom AI and compatibility with World Conquest. Furthermore, some of the previously planned changes haven't been included (e.g. the Unhatched advancement with berserk turning into an armored unit).
you are not gonna make it