Can someone explain to me how to make a era or faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Firebug360

Can someone explain to me how to make a era or faction

Post by Firebug360 »

I need some help making a faction and units and stuff can anyone explain it to me in english or just maybe publish my stuff for me you can take the credit me and my freind just wanna play the game amongst ourselfs using our own custom guys thanks for reading ppl :D
Dont work to hard in life, No one gets out alive anyways

Destroying Fools,Winning Duels and kicking jewels
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Can someone explain to me how to make a era or faction

Post by anakayub »

Have a read.
Take a breath.
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

factions and units and stuff.

EDIT: ha, my clever post took a minute longer!
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Firebug360

Post by Firebug360 »

anakayub wrote:Have a read.
Ya I dont understand that lol I wanted to hear the explanation in english and not in abreviations and codes and blah

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Maybe you should just play custom eras other people have made instead of trying to create one of your own.
Jequ

Post by Jequ »

Firebug360 wrote:
anakayub wrote:Have a read.
Ya I dont understand that lol I wanted to hear the explanation in english and not in abreviations and codes and blah
Well, you have to use codes in order to make era or faction. Nice Wesnoth developers have made a Wesnoth Markup Language (WML) for you.
Don't be afraid of the codes and such. You can learn the basics of the Era WML in couple of days.

http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/BuildingFactions

That's the link you need mostly.

And you can look the add-on era/faction files in userdata/data/campaigns folder (?) with notepad or something like that to see how they have done it.
Madnessbane

Post by Madnessbane »

I started by going through the WML files for the units already in the game. It gives you a better feel for it and makes it a lot simpler looking at the whole compiled code rather than bits and pieces in a wiki, then once you've read through it go into the wiki to look at the specifics of what you can do.
Firebug360

Post by Firebug360 »

Ok since you guys arent really helping me there i guess il just give it a read again...

Also I was wondering how to get like units to edit and how to edit them. Do I need something speicial?
I meen i edited units in paint but i dont know if thats good enough Or how and Im pretty new to this game and me and my freind wanted to make a era soooo if anyone can help a little more then repeating the same thing over again thatd be cool

Rex Umbrarum

Post by Rex Umbrarum »

Firebug360 wrote:Ok since you guys arent really helping me there i guess il just give it a read again...

Also I was wondering how to get like units to edit and how to edit them. Do I need something speicial?
I meen i edited units in paint but i dont know if thats good enough Or how and Im pretty new to this game and me and my freind wanted to make a era soooo if anyone can help a little more then repeating the same thing over again thatd be cool
Ok. Read the wiki, making factions takes work. Read the wiki, making factions takes work. Read the wiki, making factions takes work. Read the wiki, making factions takes work. Oh... you said help other than repeating the same thing over again. Sorry.
vivantlingvaemortvae
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Hmmm I guess if someone would make a "era skeleton" like xer made a "campaign skeleton"? That wouldn't be too hard, right?
Check out my sprites!
Firebug360

Post by Firebug360 »

Well Il tell you guys what I had in mind I was gonna create A ancient Era I was gonna use some already created factions and add Mongols and Greeks and add units to all the other factions that would work wit the general theme of the era me and my friend were editing units in paint that we found off the website and on google cuz we couldnt buy photoshop so im just gonna ask if u can take theese pictures and edit them to be compatible if paint doesnt work and post the era you can take all the credit for drawing them and evrything because me and my freind Just wanna play a era with our favorite civs Romans and mongols so If anybody here can help me thatd be cool but i guess Il take your advice and read the wiki thing and try but like most ppl who play this Im lazy and impatient I only read things im interested in and my dad is to busy to help us cuz hes being a big [censored] right now lol so if anyone can respond something dif thatd be really cool of you (:

AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Punctuation. It helps.
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

Dude, these guys know what they're talking about. There isn't anything different or simple. It takes work and determination to make an era, and from what I can see you aren't showing potential for either. Sorry for being a little harsh but you don't seem to understand that these guys are pros at this. Heed what they say and you might just get something working.

(and for art I'd download gimp(look it up on google))
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

To go with Mirion147, no one really has the time for all of that either. You're asking people to essentially take your ideas/art that you come up with, fine-tune and smooth it out, and make a whole era for you themselves.

I know you might not realize this, but it's not as easy as drawing it and putting it in, unless you wanted to create units that parrot the exact setup/skill set as another race. The units in your era would have to be setup and balanced so that playing it is actually fun, and not done in such a manner so that one race always wins. So there's artwork, coding, and some playtesting right there, and I know I am oversimplifying a great deal of this.

Point being, this is no one's job. When you ask people to do something for you, they would be doing it in their own free time, out of the kindness of their heart, and in some cases, people have neither of those. :lol2: What generally happens is that if you have a detailed plan of how you envision the era, what races are in it, and what units make up the races, then you can start to persuade people that you are worth them investing their time. Even better, take the era one race at a time, and then see if you can find people to help you.

I also would not say that most people who play this are lazy or impatient, at least not the people you'll find on here who will try over and over again to draw an arm just the right way or scroll lines of code to find a bug in a scenario. No one is trying to stop you from trying to get the era you want, but you have to realize we all cannot just make it happen quickly.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Firebug360

Post by Firebug360 »

Ok listen again... seriously you guys Im a 14 year old kid who plays this game for kicks ive read that text 6 times and I dont understand it i got photo shop and now are editing units properly and I know the stats and stuff i want for them I just dont understand how to put them in the game and your not helping by repeating the same thing over and over again if you dont have anything new to say then dont say anything Im gonna keep reading that text till i understand but I dont and its and era idea that otehr ppl mite enjoy aswell so they can play it to not a private era i have names stats pictures animations and other stuff I just dont know how to put in game or code it ok so if u listen youl understand a little bit more i apreciate you guys commenting and repeating the same thing but Im just asking for something new and thanks for taking time to read and help if you can :)