Can someone explain to me how to make a era or faction

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Firebug360

Re: Can someone explain to me how to make a era or faction

Post by Firebug360 »

Mirion147 wrote:Dude, these guys know what they're talking about. There isn't anything different or simple. It takes work and determination to make an era, and from what I can see you aren't showing potential for either. Sorry for being a little harsh but you don't seem to understand that these guys are pros at this. Heed what they say and you might just get something working.

(and for art I'd download gimp(look it up on google))
Ya that was wat i downloaded gimp2 just today it works pretty well
Dont work to hard in life, No one gets out alive anyways

Destroying Fools,Winning Duels and kicking jewels
Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

What about everything else I said?
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

What everyone is getting at is that we do not know exactly what you are and are not capable of, and the exact help you are looking for. Rather than asking for someone to tell you completely how to make a faction, pose a question of what you are having an issue with, and people can walk you through how to handle it.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Realy I find the easist way to learn this stuff, is to open up the files and read them. If you want to see what is in a unit file, then find a unit file and look. Then after you've got that down, then you can look at the other stuff that you need for Eras.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
The Great Rings

Post by The Great Rings »

Firebug360 wrote:Ok listen again... seriously you guys Im a 14 year old kid who plays this game for kicks ive read that text 6 times and I dont understand it i got photo shop and now are editing units properly and I know the stats and stuff i want for them I just dont understand how to put them in the game and your not helping by repeating the same thing over and over again if you dont have anything new to say then dont say anything Im gonna keep reading that text till i understand but I dont and its and era idea that otehr ppl mite enjoy aswell so they can play it to not a private era i have names stats pictures animations and other stuff I just dont know how to put in game or code it ok so if u listen youl understand a little bit more i apreciate you guys commenting and repeating the same thing but Im just asking for something new and thanks for taking time to read and help if you can :)
I'd help if I could but I'm as hopeless as you. :D

But I really think they've told you everything they can. You're just going to have to read it 60 times, I guess. I understand your frusteration. I have more campaign and Era ideas than I have fingers on my hands, but it'll take more work than I have time or patience for to make it work. :cry:
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

It takes a lot of mistakes and a lot of time to make an era, the wiki ain't too helpful so you have to try an figure it out...I'm a complete idiot but hey, I managed to make one!
(it's on the addons server, you should get it)
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
Firebug360

Post by Firebug360 »

Il be sure to try ur era also read wat i say carefully cuz ur obviously not ive read wiki and it doesnt help at all its advice for experienced pepole who have a idea of wat they are doing I want a simple era I dont need animations I have all the Guys already made I have there stats there names there portraits there descriptions there weapon pictures. Its me and my friend making this but hes not really helping me I just would like if someone could code this for stuff and submit for me or atleast give me a very basic and simple description of the thing I apreciate all of you commenting I also want to say this with the least amount of disrespect posible but if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all and id really apreciate your helps thanks alot and again for reading and using ur valuable time to learn about my problem (:

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

We understand that you have everything that you need in order to flesh out your era, and we have tried to be nothing but nice. However the following:
Velensk wrote: Really I find the easist way to learn this stuff, is to open up the files and read them. If you want to see what is in a unit file, then find a unit file and look
Longbow wrote:It takes a lot of mistakes and a lot of time to make an era, the wiki ain't too helpful so you have to try an figure it out...I'm a complete idiot but hey, I managed to make one!

manages to sum up quite nicely your predicament. Coding an era is a lot of trial and error, you have to go in and look at how others did it and figure it out and work on it yourself. Yes, I understand that you would like someone to code it and submit it for you, but people don't usually do that as it's a lot of time and effort that they don't have to spare. Not to mention, if no one has offered by now, it's most likely that no one can do it.
Last edited by Turuk on October 12th, 2008, 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
MDG

Post by MDG »

Firebug360, post up the stats and art you have for one of your units. Someone may be prepared to complete the necessary config file for it with the WML code done for you. You can then use that as a template to copy from in order to simply change the stats and art for the remaining units. Once you have done each of the units, post up with all of the unit names, faction names, and the era name. Completing the WML for the factions and the era is fairly straightforward from there. Once you've seen how it is done, hopefully you'll be able to maintain it going forward.

p.s. please post what version of Battle for Wesnoth you are using as the WML code can be different between versions.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Firebug360 wrote:I just would like if someone could code this for stuff and submit for me or atleast give me a very basic and simple description of the thing I apreciate all of you commenting I also want to say this with the least amount of disrespect posible but if you dont have anything nice to say dont say anything at all and id really apreciate your helps thanks alot and again for reading and using ur valuable time to learn about my problem
Lesson one: Open up a unit file already in the game. Read through the file and change things as you go. That shouldnt be too hard, I mean things like "name" "image" "description" should all be pretty self explanitory. Anything that you dont understand post for people to help you with. Getting people to help with problems you are encuring is easier than getting people to do all the work
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

I'll try to make this simple(r), use a file browser (konqueror for example) and find wesnoth files, on my pc they are in ''usr/share/wesnoth/data/core'' (I use suse linux 10.3 I think). Then in that directory go to units and choose a race and unit similar to the one you want to make. Right click on this and open it in a text editor (say..kate or Kwrite.. I don't know what on windows...) Change the relevant stats and where it has the paths to images change this to your image... eg. ''units/human-loyalists/spearman-attack1.png'' to ''units/randomfaction/pandamutant-attack-1.png''

This probably isn't very clear, but I need to know what operating system and editing facilities you have, do you use windows, linux, mac and do you have Kate or Kwrite or some other text editor? I have only done this in linux so i don't know too much about it in 'dows but it is probably similiar...
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
Firebug360

Post by Firebug360 »

K thanks u guys for all your help but I got a experienced person to help me and its really cool that you took time to help me with my problem around next week Il post some of the era so you can comment on it. Its called Ancient era :D :D :D