The Settlers Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

IPS

Re: The Settlers Era: now for 1.8

Post by IPS »

I have tested it 3 times with online people, and in some maps is hard to find stone because are so low moutains. I haven't lost at the momment, I saw only military rush at start, that is to easy to stop when you earns much resources each turn.

Calvary's movement is really helpful, I like to play with it. I think it's the best leader of all :P
Creator of: Deathmatch new in 1.12 server.
Co-creator of: Era of Magic in 1.16 server
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Try My winning Orocia Guide
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

IPS wrote:I have tested it 3 times with online people, and in some maps is hard to find stone because are so low moutains. I haven't lost at the momment, I saw only military rush at start, that is to easy to stop when you earns much resources each turn.

Calvary's movement is really helpful, I like to play with it. I think it's the best leader of all :P
re: I actually like the fact that different maps might require different strategies and tactics. Like on Isar's, the east and west players can have a village next to a mountain, and econo-boom a little quicker. But the south and west can have a 2-hills village and recruit gold-cost units to make a more easily mount a dangerous attack.

On a map like Sablestone Delta, where there are only 3 mountains on the map, and in risky/nonideal spots for building, it would add a very interesting element to the game: to completely avoid more building and just raid, or try to risk one of the mountains. :)

re: rushing fail - in the first version balance testing, peasants were set to only 10hp to make rushing more feasible. From my experience, full or partial rushing is a valid tactical choice. However, I haven't played many games in which both players are highly experienced with the era, so that may need another look.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Should be interesting to make a list of players what uses this era. It's weird to find someone who knows the game.

If you accept my this idea, I'm in it :D
Developer of: Empires in 1.12 server, Ageless Era in 1.10 to 1.16 servers (but innactive recently)
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Those who have played more than one game in 1.8 are:

IPS, Dovolente, JTL_Leid, Miojo, Lich_lord, beagle, Ian_Wilder, Medalikarz, ygbutpl, Gammi, Kvinkunx, and Doomhammer.

Gotta love replays.wesnoth.org. :)
Mica

Post by Mica »

I know how it works and how to play it, so if I'm not busy, hit me up for a game.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
IPS

Post by IPS »

JTL_Leid is my friend, so I'm not surprised of him ;)

Wow I have a good time not playing Settlers era.
IPS

Post by IPS »

Would you like a wooden wall and wooden tower in a future version?

It can be it's stats:

Wooden Wall

hp: 30

Resistances:
-50% to fire.
-20% to blade

Costs: 2 of wood.

Wooden Tower
2-8 impact mele (stones thorowing?)
6-3 pierce ranged (bow?)

HP: 45
Res: same as Wooden Wall

Cost: 5 of wood and 5 of gold.

This must be helpful for low mountains maps and for some survivals hehehe
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Good ideas--I'll add a wooden wall in the next couple of days with the next release of the era (which will also include a fix for the tower xp bug introduced in the last version, and setting wall defense to 0 but adding resistances). I may also add two other options:
'survival' = start with a few military units in addition to leader/peasant, and
'conquest' = no resource victory possible.

The wooden fort terrain graphic seems obvious for the wall. But I'm not sure if there is a good terrain to use for a wooden tower.
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

version 0.9.2:
- Tower xp bug fixed
- Wooden barriers are now in. :)
- All structures have 0% defense but generally good resistances.
- Leaders have a pseudo-ability, "recruit", which just shows up as an ability with a description that explains how they can recruit.
- Peasants have a similar pseudo-ability, "gather", which explains resource gathering.
- Peasants have a semi-pseudo-ability, "build", which explains building procedures but also lets them repair structures for +5hp per turn. Hopefully these ability descriptions will make the game clearer for new players. :)
- There is a 'survival' mode intended for use with general survival maps, which allows players to start with an additional HI, Spearman, and Bowman, and sets resource collection win to 300.
em3

Post by em3 »

Dovolente wrote:The wooden fort terrain graphic seems obvious for the wall. But I'm not sure if there is a good terrain to use for a wooden tower.
Maybe: Image Orcish watch tower from Son of the Black-Eye?
ride on shooting star
IPS

Post by IPS »

The tower sprite likes nice. But how in the fog you can differenciate a wooden wall of a wooden tower? I think you must add a wooden keep + the sprite of this wooden tower to players can diferenciate easier a wooden tower of a wooden wall.

I forgot to add swarm in the stones thorowing. For me my stat of the tower (atleast in hp) likes to weak, 2 or 3 correct units can kill the wooden tower easier (due it haves 0% def)

So I change the hp idea of the wooden tower to 55 instead 45.

Edit: I have not tought the wooden walls haves 50% res to impact, pierce, cold and arcane. So the wooden tower must have the same resistance, so 45 hp is ok =)
iBaLkiD

Post by iBaLkiD »

Anyone know of a good survival scenario for one player that works well with the settlers era, or any other SP way to use this era? Its hard to get MP games going and id really like to play it. This way i could get some games in without trying to set up MP games. I like this era, i think its well done and still has mass amounts of untapped potential.

Thanks in advance!
Dovolente

Post by Dovolente »

Thanks for the tower suggestions.

re: iBaLkiD, try playing 6-player survival but setting the other 5 player spots to empty.

And you can always just play all sides for 3-Player Survival (which is hard!) or Orocia (which is more manageable).
salt

Post by salt »

Myself and a few other regular players have been having a ton of fun making big (50 by 50 tiles) maps to play ffa settlers on... and the battles typically get very intense and fun. However we are often spoiled by how easy it is to sit still and win via resource accumulation when we play a large 3 or 4p game.

It would be AMAZING to have an option to determine the winning conditions at the start of the game: for example being able to decide if you want resource wins to be allowed or not. (sort of in the same way that you can choose difficulty levels on Colosseum maps and such)

In any case thanks for all the hard work! :D
IPS

Post by IPS »

Idea for another kind of village (does the same, but with other resources's price)

Wooden village (like the swamp one, but without the swamp)

Price:
20 of food, 20 of wood, 10 of gold.

It costs 50 resources, It does not cost stone. The higher price of food/wood is because those resources are more easy to find than the stone and this must do posible to build villages in those maps without mountains.

I had an Idea for a market place too, where you can change the materials. An example can be lossing 2 of a resource to get 1 of other resource. The market place must cost 20 of gold, to do it optional :D

I hope you like it ;)