Spacenoth

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kesnar

Spacenoth

Post by kesnar »

I am not sure if I am on the right section but how Spaceoth is going does anyone knows???Spacenoth server is down, does that mean tha Sacenoth is down too??? :(

P.S.:I post that here for two reasons:
1)More people will post here
2)Spacenoth server is down!!!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Spacenoth

Post by zookeeper »

It's dead.

(of course we'll now get several people saying something about it not really being dead but how it's just "progressing slowly")
kesnar

Post by kesnar »

It's really a pity :cry: :cry: :cry:
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Nothing stopping a new mod from springing up. Imo, one of Spacenoth's problem is that it expanded too soon to its own website. If it was worked on in a thread on the forums, it probably would've attracted more people, especially if it's basically a fancy era+terrain. You also need a lot of artists for a project like that - you can't frankenstein a spearman to make a futuristic warrior.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
kesnar

Post by kesnar »

Spacenoth is not down neither its forum.I can tell now
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

The forums aren't down anymore as of my last post (I checked when posting it). However, we can safely say Spacenoth is dead. The month is almost over and there are two posts made this month - both from you.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
kesnar

Post by kesnar »

Yeah I know :oops:
Anyway It's a pity that Spacenoth development stopped.
Goodbye Spacenoth
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I still think spacenoth would have worked better if it had gone for planet-side si fi action rather than space. There are a huge number of advantages to this, and it nulifies one of the weakest points of spacenoth which is the lack of veriety in terrain.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Velensk wrote:I still think spacenoth would have worked better if it had gone for planet-side si fi action rather than space. There are a huge number of advantages to this, and it nulifies one of the weakest points of spacenoth which is the lack of veriety in terrain.
Yes, though having a few spaceship graphics and star graphics wouldn't hurt for a futuristic mod - adding space action for some scenarios in a similar manner to The High Seas could lead to some fun space maps.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Bah - I only heard about Spacenoth now that it's apparently dead. I agree that splitting from the main Wesnoth community wasn't a very good idea especially since Spacenoth was supposed to be only an add-on for Wesnoth (at least in the beginning). I imagine that there are Sci-Fi fans on these forums as well...
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Aethaeryn wrote:Imo, one of Spacenoth's problem is that it expanded too soon to its own website. If it was worked on in a thread on the forums, it probably would've attracted more people,
Eh, maybe. IMO that wasn't their main problem - it was that, while several people thought it was a good idea and were willing to put in a small amount of energy to contribute, no one was really willing to take command and actually get something done. As such, they got people making contributions of gfx, storyline idea, etc, for two years, but never really brought it all together. At least that's the impression I got from observing the project and halfheartedly contributing since its inception.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

If Spacenoth truly is dead, I'd be willing to coordinate a new sci-fi mod. It would be in the form of an era, not trying to be as dramatic as Spacenoth. If it eventually becomes so big it requires advanced spaceship combat, its own website, etc., it can be added. However, the problem with Spacenoth is that its ideas were too bold, too quickly, and no one was really pushing for the basic heart of it first. A new sci-fi era would be an era first, a mod second, and would kind of be like IE in terms of a prerequisite for content in its world like campaigns. It would differentiate itself from Spacenoth's problems in multiple ways, the most notable being focusing land combat, not space.

The new era would basically be an era, having futuristic factions using land units, not trying to be complicated and include spaceships in the heart of its design (Spacenoth used spaceship combat for its demo). In fact, by having a demo, Spacenoth proved it was too complicated. It should have adhered to KISS and kept itself simple. The Wesnoth engine is perfect for land units, not naval/space units (only exception is really WML-intense individual scenarios like Bob the Mighty's The High Seas).

Spaceships would be included in the package, but second priority to the land factions. There would probably be only one or two spaceships for each faction and they would be unrecruitable in standard MP. These would be included with other specialized units for the purpose of aiding in content creation (e.g. spaceships for High Seas-like spaceship scenarios or for campaigns). Spaceships would thus be slightly more important than ships are in Wesnoth, but not as valuable as Spacenoth put on them. Remember, Battle for Wesnoth isn't a clone of Homeworld, it's based on fantasy ground-based games. Spaceships would best be involved in WML-heavy campaigns/scenarios instead of the core of the era.

Of course, every rule has an exception so small spacecraft that fly could be involved in a faction. Their role, however, would be basically like a flying unit is now in Wesnoth. To do a Star Wars or Star Trek analogy - you'd be recruiting the X-Wings or the Shuttles, not the Star Destroyers or the Enterprise. Basically, the only ships would be those who could actually go to planetary combat.

The new era would be designed to work on Wesnoth terrain, going on the trusted sci-fi method of "there's a lot of Earth-like planets out there where most of the plot takes place." It would add some new terrains, however, such as a Moon-like terrain which could borrow from cave and/or desert in art. Of course, a lot of "foreign" planets could be the cliché all-snow, all-desert, etc.

Please note that this post is not completely rejecting Spacenoth. A lot of its content and ideas could be recycled into this new era, but it would most likely be better to make a new futuristic era rather than salvage the actual Spacenoth project. Spacenoth having its own website/forum and focusing on space combat rather than land combat means its basic concept has failed and a new approach, a more traditional era of futuristic factions, must be tried.

I'm full of ideas and could probably do the code for most of the factions, so the most important elements for this new era would be (1) to not be as ambitious as Spacenoth while still leaving room for expansion if it can one day be a full mod and (2) artists, artists, artists - good art is probably the key to success in this era. Of course, I'd be willing to take any help, but of course art help is the most important. Also feedback on ideas and helping to develop good themes/lines for the factions would be good. Unless there's sufficient interest in this concept, I probably won't waste my effort in making the era.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Lim-Dul

Post by Lim-Dul »

Well - surely there is SOMETHING in Spacenoth that you could recycle for such a sci-fi themed era, isn't there?
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. - Bertrand Russell
--
Project StD - Save the Drakes - we want more branches! =)
cool evil

Post by cool evil »

They should just keep spacenoth as an add-on, it will start out with something small, maybe with just a couple of space factions, then progress into new terrains, new campaigns, and eventually be a big overhaul package for wesnoth.

Why split a country into a small nation in hopes of better development when the country is already lacking resources?
Have no fear, Vlad is here!
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Lim-Dul wrote:Well - surely there is SOMETHING in Spacenoth that you could recycle for such a sci-fi themed era, isn't there?
Probably, and I will contact people who contributed to it once my idea gets started (there's already some discussion on IRC about how to approach it and outlining ideas).
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)