Desert Elves

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Desert Elves

Post by Federalist marshal »

My project on remaking the Desert Elves has been slow recently due to lack of criticism to work on; thus I am posting the sprites here in the hopes that there will be more feedback for me to work on.
Attachments
DesertFighter-attack.png
DesertFighter-attack.png (3.83 KiB) Viewed 4943 times
DesertFighter-attack-.5.png
DesertFighter-attack-.5.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4940 times
DesertFighter17.png
DesertFighter17.png (4.78 KiB) Viewed 4942 times
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Re: Desert Elves

The rest of the frames for the fighter...
Attachments
DesertFighter-defend.png
DesertFighter-defend.png (3.56 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
DesertFighter-ranged-2.png
DesertFighter-ranged-2.png (4.91 KiB) Viewed 4939 times
DesertFighter-ranged-1.png
DesertFighter-ranged-1.png (5.27 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

The archer so far...
Attachments
DesertArcher-defend.png
DesertArcher-defend.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 4985 times
DesertArcher-melee.png
DesertArcher-melee.png (2.89 KiB) Viewed 4930 times
DesertArcher3.png
DesertArcher3.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 4938 times
kesnar

Post by kesnar »

Nice elves-Nice work.

But there are already desert elves on the Under the Burnings suns campaign, right??? :hmm:
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

kesnar wrote:Nice elves-Nice work.

But there are already desert elves on the Under the Burnings suns campaign, right??? :hmm:
Of course there are, these ones being made are the replacement/graphic updates for those.

At least as far as I can tell.

As a note, while the sweat is great and can be seen on a lot of defend frames, nowadays it seems its preferible to see how the body moves accordingly.

Basically, the desert archer should try to cover its vulnerable points with its bow/arm whatever in order to soak damage coming his/her way.

Same happens with the desert fighter, he should try to do a parry or a deflection in a way similar to the orcish grunt, since he lacks a shield (tought a parrying dagger could de somewhat refresing if its keep on the rest of advancement to show a different approach than its cousins)

For the desert fighter, it would need more frames on the ranged, around 6 to 7 should make it more fluid I suggest looking in the wiki the "drawing bow attack frames" tutorial, or look at the archer frames. :)

finally, the desert archer would benefit having two additional frames on the attack, one before that one drawn, and other before that with the sword ending the swoosh or recoving from the attack.

They are looking nice, and you are getting a nice feeling with the choosen gear for them.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

kesnar wrote:Nice elves-Nice work.

Jes, this is a project to make new sprites for them. (The old ones where recoloured versions of an older variant of the wood elves.)

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19613
kesnar

Post by kesnar »

:oops: Oh...OK...

Good work again then I think that these elves are surely better.
Gena

Post by Gena »

[quote="Federalist marshal"]My project on remaking the Desert Elves has been slow recently due to lack of criticism to work on; thus I am posting the sprites here in the hopes that there will be more feedback for me to work on.[/quote]

[color=#0000BF][/color] i like the idea but the elf fighter looks a bit huge
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

I appreciate the constructive criticism, but some of it I've already heard. If you want to say something please check the other thread in art contributions to see if it's already been said.

Also, I consider the Fighter to be complete, even with existing flaws. Jetryl approved it, so I guess that I should concentrate on the archer.

Seeing as one of the repeated things was to change the defend frame to cover the body, I guess I'll get to work on that next...
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Changed the defend frame...
Attachments
DesertArcher-defend.png
DesertArcher-defend.png (3.88 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

The new defend frame looks nice, tough a few things to consider if you want.

You have the "surprise white/cian?" of surprise over his head. I think that you should make the animation a bit longer, this is a good start:

ImageImage

A few things to note:

0) There is a green/black pixels? on the union of arm the arm holding the bow with the torso, what represent that? Also, it looks like in second frame the string of the bow is over the arm instead of below it.

1) The exclamation of surprise on the head could stay on first frame, tough its better if it dissapears on second or third frame (since the unit pass from being surprised to start his defend pose)

2) The eyes of the unit on these frame are shut, they should start open, the person has the eyes open to see from where the strike will come, if you want to have the unit shut its eyes, it should be on the frame you expect to be taking the hit)

3) The bow on the second frame its hard to discern from the rest of the body or at least I have problems to see it clear. maybe a bit of ¿contrast? could make it more visible.

4) if possible, the body should follow the movement of the arm, aka its left leg should move to his front and center (I think) to do a partial rotation.

Why I suggest partial rotation, because I think that he would prefer to take the hit on the side than allowing the hit impact on the torso (more vital organs to hit that way)

I'm sure I'm missing some details more about the movement on the defend frame tought the ideal would be having these frames:

1 suprised, move bow (rotation of torso) and cover body with the arm, close eyes/taking hit, opening eyes and recover from the impact, And here would go the normal pose.

At least on my opinion, hope you get a better detailed feedback since its looking very nicely and you are improving fast :)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Keeping this topic for *Artwork* along with the topic in Art contribs. for *Artwork* makes it very confusing and difficult for me to keep track of updates.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Shadow Master wrote:Keeping this topic for *Artwork* along with the topic in Art contribs. for *Artwork* makes it very confusing and difficult for me to keep track of updates.
I made two threads to attract more comments for me to work on. If you have a different idea then go ahead and post it.
Verdanna wrote:You have the "surprise white/cian?" of surprise over his head. I think that you should make the animation a bit longer, this is a good start:
How many frames would you suggest, then?
Verdanna wrote:0) There is a green/black pixels? on the union of arm the arm holding the bow with the torso, what represent that? Also, it looks like in second frame the string of the bow is over the arm instead of below it.
I forgot to remove that...I'll remove it in the next one.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Federalist marshal wrote:How many frames would you suggest, then?
It depends mostly of the amount of frames you want to make of the unit.

The surprise should stay the enough time to see the unit has been caught surprised but before it reacts and starts to defend itself. (1-2 frames for surprised) and other 3 for defend is welcome, remember that more frames will end in having a smoother transition.

Once you have the frames you consider good for the defend animation, you only need to put the timing and see how would it look ingame. I think a duration of 20 is enough to see the surprise over the head.

Why the different frames between surprised and defend, its that against more than 1 attack, the unit shouldn't go back to the surprised frame but stay on "defend frames" until all attacks end. :)
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

I'd rather not work on too many frames, seeing as I'm trying to get ALL of the desert elves redone. So for the archer's defend frames, I've made only two.
Attachments
DesertArcher-defend-.5.png
DesertArcher-defend-.5.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 4458 times
DesertArcher-defend.png
DesertArcher-defend.png (3.99 KiB) Viewed 4457 times