The Yōkai

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Vendanna

Re: The Yōkai

Post by Vendanna »

balmung60 wrote:umm, I can't seem to find the file that you mentioned.
Because melon it looks like melon has abandoned the forum/community and has removed all content of his faction from the forum.

Or that's the sensation it gives to me. Has last visit was 28 march, the date when he edited his posts.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It certainly cannot disappear completely. I don't have 1.06 (the latest) unfortunately, but I have 1.04 in my USB pendrive.
Attachments
Yokai 1.04.zip
Yokai faction version 1.04 (not the latest one)
(225.85 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

I believe Melon got annoyed at the maintainers of the EOM because his/her ideas wernt getting implemented. And probably resulted in melons departure from the forum. Though i might be wrong :hmm:
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Well, its always sad to have a decent artists to dissapear for a simple misunderstanding, anyway I still retain a few things from 1.06 (the images and the units.cfg) but lack the rest. (tought using as base the rest of things that you already have of 1.04 could be easy to adapt. no?)

The balance isn't that hard to do anyway, since it opperates in a similar vein as the devlings (but with specials)

Edit: As a note. This zip also contains the Killer bee unit images and its cfg, please remember that those weren't on the yokai, and I simply added it for testing purposes. doh!
Attachments
yokai.zip
Yokai 1.06 (Images and units.cfg)
(683.56 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
Gena

Post by Gena »

[quote="Quietus"]I believe Melon got annoyed at the maintainers of the EOM because his/her ideas wernt getting implemented. And probably resulted in melons departure from the forum. Though i might be wrong :hmm:[/quote]

arent you going to add the Yokai to the Myth era and post it on the 1.4 sever?
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Gena wrote:
Quietus wrote:I believe Melon got annoyed at the maintainers of the EOM because his/her ideas wernt getting implemented. And probably resulted in melons departure from the forum. Though i might be wrong :hmm:
arent you going to add the Yokai to the Myth era and post it on the 1.4 sever?
Me? i dont have anything to do with the EOM. Its all down to JW, Velensk, or any other myth maintainer. Personally i think this faction would do better in a seperate era, with other factions. EOM looks fine with 6 factions IMHO.
Gena

Post by Gena »

[quote="Quietus"][quote="Gena"][quote="Quietus"]I believe Melon got annoyed at the maintainers of the EOM because his/her ideas wernt getting implemented. And probably resulted in melons departure from the forum. Though i might be wrong :hmm:[/quote]

arent you going to add the Yokai to the Myth era and post it on the 1.4 sever?[/quote]

Me? i dont have anything to do with the EOM. Its all down to JW, Velensk, or any other myth maintainer. Personally i think this faction would do better in a seperate era, with other factions. EOM looks fine with 6 factions IMHO.[/quote]

oops sorry quietus i asked the wrong person i meant to ask vendanna
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Gena wrote:arent you going to add the Yokai to the Myth era and post it on the 1.4 sever?

oops sorry quietus i asked the wrong person i meant to ask vendanna
Well, the thing is that the subject is touchy for a few reasons:

1) The original creator/maintainer has banished from the forum, but we don't know if he will return.

2) The faction was never mine to start with it (I only offered him suggestions) and I feel unpleasantness to expropiate of another man job/merits.

3) The one in charge should "merge" what he can from both zips (it may take a bit of time to do so)

and 4) I don't know how to upload anything on the main server.

I only added the cfgs and images on the topic for garbs, because I still had them in a safe place and considered it was a good idea to have them there with the rest of 1.04 if someone wanted to work on the faction.
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Vendanna wrote: 1) The original creator/maintainer has banished from the forum, but we don't know if he will return.
Whoa, when and why did that happen? I hadn't seen him around for a while but i just thought that was just him taking a break or something...
Last edited by Neoskel on April 4th, 2008, 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Well, it wouldn't be the first time a sprite artist got offended by the choices of the others and decided to leave for a while.

I understand how it is annoying when your ideas don't get implemented in the game even after you put a lot of work into them, but that doesn't win you any sympathy points when you go on an immature deletion spree.

:annoyed:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
JW

Post by JW »

Sapient wrote:Well, it wouldn't be the first time a sprite artist got offended by the choices of the others and decided to leave for a while.

I understand how it is annoying when your ideas don't get implemented in the game even after you put a lot of work into them, but that doesn't win you any sympathy points when you go on an immature deletion spree.

:annoyed:
Indeed.

I don't know why he'd be so pissed; I mean I added all of his art for the Vampires that he made. I hope he didn't feel like he 'deserved' room in the EoM, even though I was willing to look at it. When I handed it over to Velensk he was less excited about adding new factions --- and even then the Yokai had drastically changed numerous times from what he originally suggested: a Gnome faction!

I doubt, if Melon has indeed left, that he understood the nature of OSS and how additions to this game work in general. If he is just taking a momentary break then I hope he can settle down and focus on what he's trying to do.

In either case, I think the Yokai and Minotaurs might be the start of a good new era, unless the Minotaurrs have already begun a new one with others: I haven't kept an eye on their progress so closely.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

When someone takes a break, they usually doesn't remove the content of the faction he has worked on that hard. :roll:

Still, that behavior isn't mature no matter how good you are in something. You need to be able to surpass frustation and take it with a grain of salt, especially on a community that is there for fun and not as slaves (and that not get payed for).

If he returns, welcome back, if he doesn't too bad, but life goes on.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sapient wrote:I understand how it is annoying when your ideas don't get implemented in the game even after you put a lot of work into them, but that doesn't win you any sympathy points when you go on an immature deletion spree.:annoyed:
Ugh, and that violates the principles of the GNU GPL too. Once a person publishes something under the GPL, he or she cannot deny redistribution of it.

Let's not drive this thread off-topic, though. If anyone has a more complete set of the faction's release 1.06 than Vendanna has, please post it as an attachment or anything. I'm pretty sure this was not even submitted to EoM for testing.

Besides, Melon's art was already being added to EoM (i.e. vampire faction); it's still possible that all of this was an unfortunate accident and that Melon didn't intend to leave actually.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Shadow Master wrote:Besides, Melon's art was already being added to EoM (i.e. vampire faction); it's still possible that all of this was an unfortunate accident and that Melon didn't intend to leave actually.
i dont think it was to do with the art, more to do with the ideas for the wargs and therians. If my memory is correct.
JW wrote: In either case, I think the Yokai and Minotaurs might be the start of a good new era, unless the Minotaurrs have already begun a new one with others: I haven't kept an eye on their progress so closely.
Im concidering on not making an era for the minotaurs, simply leaving them a faction for people's use. But then again i might change my mind as i do so often lol
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I wanted to put the Yokai to use in a sequel to my campaign, by the way.