Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

UnwiseOwl

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 1.1.1 released!

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Whoa!
My body is ready!
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
The_Gnat

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) 1.1.1 released!

Post by The_Gnat »

That sounds great!!
The_Gnat

Re: Era of Magic (EoMa) - new version coming soon!

Post by The_Gnat »

Hi Inferno8, how long do you expect to be until you are able to release this new version :D
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

@The_Gnat: 2-3 weeks. The Era is almost ready, but I am updating TLU as well.

In the meantime I am going to tell more details about what can you expect in the upcoming 2.0 release.

Let's start with some... historical background and statistics:

It is hard to believe but this addon is 9 years old! :D So many things happened during that time. People came and went, often giving valuable feedback. Thanks to them and my hard work Era of Magic is widely known addon with houndreds of units (212 units in 1.1.1 -> 224 in the upcoming 2.0) with tons of animations! This is something that makes EoMa so unique. Vast majority of UMC eras come with no animations at all. Era of Magic has 2005 frames of units animations and 502 frames of various effects/projectiles. If one were to make a 24fps film of it, it would last 1 minute and 44 seconds! :D If you are looking for an era with lots of animations - EoMa is your answer.
But animations are not all. Era of Magic's initial release contained 4 varied factions. Over time this number doubled. Today EoMa offers 8 different factions, each with interesting units, tactics and theme. I feel extremely happy when I encounter players who share their thoughts about their favourite factions and units. It means I gave them something enjoyable and they appreciate it as much as I do. ;)

But let's focus on the new stuff. EoMa 2.0 includes new units, new abilities, new weapon specials, improved balance, improved graphics, insanely optimized code and better descriptions. It would be hard to tell about everything in one post, so I decided to split it into several parts, starting with units.

New units:
At the moment there are 12 new units ready to be released with 2.0. You can see them below (I included a spoiler tag, for those who want surprise).
Spoiler:
The Destroyers received the largest number of new units, and these are lvl3s and 4s. This means the Destroyers are the only faction which has no alternative advancements but almost all of its units can reach lvl4. The are two variants of Atokpi Master - both are lvl4s and the best thing about them is that they switch during night and day. I'll tell you more about these two later.
There are small additions to Darkblood Alliance and Barbarians. The Alliance received 2 lvl3s and 1 lvl4 - The Chosen of Marsh. This is a far darker counterpart of the "good" Chosen of Forest. Thanks to this additions the Darkblooded have 2 lvl4 units like the rest of factions (without the Destroyers).
The Barbarians reveived a lvl3 Troll Warlock (a powerful versalite unit with magical-oriented attacks) and a Goblin Raider - while still being small (even with his skull helmet on top of his head), this unobtrusive unit can wreak havoc on laughing enemies.
The Runemasters received 2 new units. The first one is Constructor (a lvl3 Mechanic), who is capable of building little "Drones" right on the battlefield. The Drone is a small, mechanical lvl0 upradable unit, which also can be recruited like other units. While advancing, it can upgrade some of its parts, improving targeting, increasing number of strikes and so on. When adjacent to certain units it can even recieve "unique" upgrades, like for example Runic Armor (obtainable only when standing next to the Runemaster lvl4). It visual apperance can change depending on the additions this unit may receive.

That's all for now. Expect another piece of information soon ;)
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

This is very exciting to hear inferno8! I love the effects and animations you have created and it will be great to see all the new images! :D
MoonWhisper

Post by MoonWhisper »

I registered, activated and logged in just to tell you I always use this era, it's amazingly fun, great imagination, well balanced, visually appealing, and comically funny. Thank you.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I suspect Toad will be too useful with its +2 melee damage, and that +3 is too much cost change for Shooter. (r19885)

Curious to see the 90% frozen def disappear after all this time.

ABILITY_EOMA_SOLAR_REGENERATION_LEVEL1 description says +2 on dawn, but code has +3.

Great to see so many changes.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Hi, Ravana. Glad to see someone is still accessing wesnoth-UMC-dev ;) It looks like there have been no active developers for a long time :hmm:

I have just updated the changelog there, you may want to check it out. It is not complete yet, but it contains tons of information about the new changes in the upcoming 2.0. The full version will be posted when everything is ready.

The balancing part is still underway. I have several beta-testers involved and they are working hard to achieve better statistics distribution across different units. Your remarks will be taken into consideration :)

@MoonWhisper: posts like these motivate me a lot, thank you :)
Creator of Era of Magic

The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello, I dont want to ask for too many things but if you have time I would love to see a advancement of the dread bat for the tharis 8)

Btw the drone of the runemasters team sounds like a very exciting idea!
Kwandulin
Art Contributor

Post by Kwandulin »

So excited for the EoMa and TLU update. It's unique and certainly one of the most interesting eras. Playing TLU some years ago was pure enjoyment and I sure am looking forward to experiencing good old nostalgia.

Also: mechanical dragon looks in. sane.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

@Kwandulin: thank you (BTW your Deep Elves look inspiring!) :) The Dragon was the first unit I decided to improve. Wait till you see new Dwarvish Tanks in action 8)

As for TLU I further improved most of the sceneries and added minor story tweaks to make the whole campaign more "mature". I will make a post about it soon.

We are getting closer to the arrival of EoMa 2.0, so this time I am going to tell more about new abilities and weapon specials.

New abilities:
Spoiler:
New weapon specials:
Spoiler:
Last edited by inferno8 on February 25th, 2017, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Creator of Era of Magic

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

:shock: this... is... unbelieavable! i am amazed that my (and thousands other people)'s favourite era is improving so much ^_^

btw, i like your idea of making TLU more mature, since there are too many campaigns which are way too fairy-tale-like, and only a few mature ones
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Ok, people, we are getting closer to the final release of EoMa 2.0. Today I am going to to talk about new and remastered images/animations.

But first I'd like to thank ForestDragon for his incredible feedback in recent days! :) Thanks to his amazing ideas and balancing suggestions I decided to postpone the "big day" a little :lol: But fear not - I can guarantee, you people are going to receive a polished, well designed and fairly balanced era, you've been waiting this whole time for. And believe me, some things in this addon blow even my mind...

According to ForestDragon's ideas I decided to expand the concept of Drone upgrades. FYI the "Drone" is a new lvl0 mechanical unit of the Runemasters faction. The best thing about it is, that this unit can get different upgrades from different units. These upgrades grant additional attacks, armor and can even make him fly! There were 3 upgrades at the beginning, but ForestDragon designed another three (in my opinion the most badass ones) and an additional ability for Technicians and Constructors allowing them to advance nearby drones. All these changes have made the Drone one of the most unique units ever created. Here you can see a "map" of upgrades to see what I am talking about:
Spoiler:
So let's talk about new graphics. Since the beginning of the works I have improved more that 1000 sprites/frames. That time I switched from gool ol' Gimp to Krita, a fairly new digital painting software and the results in my opinion were much much better in some cases.
Also, many units received Team Colors (I'd like to thank users: Eagle_11 and Glonstons for making these - well done!)

Here I present you a selection of new graphics and improvements, that you will find in the upcoming 2.0:
Spoiler:
Expect the Era of Magic 2.0 really soon! ;)
Creator of Era of Magic

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I love the new Earth elementals, especially the level 3! :D
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I am impressed with all the new images you have created and am thrilled by the progress! :D