Era of Magic (EoMa) 4.6.2 - now on Ko-fi!

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

binaryquasar

Re: Era of Magic

Post by binaryquasar »

dont know about guru it is really only a minor thing anyhow..

as for water yeah I meant lvl 1

changing movetype on something would be good but not I think on a unit as cheap as the elementalist.. even though it becomes the lvl 2 and 3 water units.. perhaps the ssubversive mage could get a flying movetype.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

With that rationale, it's probably best to create a new damagetype, that way it will do 100% damage to everything. (units will have different resistances/weaknesses to every attack type, which isn't what you're looking for)
If you don't want to violate RIPLIB, you'll have to make it do at least 2 times the damage of the strongest attack. (so, against someone with -100% resistance, you'll still do the same amount of damage)
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

I have created a new damage type called "energy". But there is something wrong. It is not displayed with other resistances. Why?
Creator of Era of Magic
Creator of To Lands Unknown

Support me on Ko-fi! https://ko-fi.com/inferno8
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Well, a unit only shows a resistance if you assign it one, either by movetype or by [resistance]. If you do not, it won't show it, but it'll be set to the default of 100. (0% resistance)
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

AI wrote:Well, a unit only shows a resistance if you assign it one, either by movetype or by [resistance]. If you do not, it won't show it, but it'll be set to the default of 100. (0% resistance)
Actually the default seems to be 50 (50% resistance). Or else there's something screwy with my install.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

From what I've heard, it used to be 0 (100% res), but it was changed to 100 (0%). That's the value that makes the most sense too, so I'd consider it a bug.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

AI wrote:From what I've heard, it used to be 0 (100% res), but it was changed to 100 (0%). That's the value that makes the most sense too, so I'd consider it a bug.
Yeah, I know, it was my complaining that got it changed. ;) (Well, and, you know, the programmers who actually did the work.)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Meh, I'll take a look at the code.

UPDATE:
applicable code in 1.4:

Code: Select all

int unit::resistance_against(const std::string& damage_name,bool attacker,const gamemap::location& loc) const
{
    int res = 0;

const config* const resistance = cfg_.child("resistance");
    if(resistance != NULL) {
        const std::string& val = (*resistance)[damage_name];
        if(val != "") {
            res = 100 - lexical_cast_default<int>(val);
        }
    }

unit_ability_list resistance_abilities = get_abilities("resistance",loc);
    for(std::vector<std::pair<config*,gamemap::location> >::iterator i = resistance_abilities.cfgs.begin(); i != resistance_abilities.cfgs.end();) {
        if(!resistance_filter_matches(*i->first,attacker,damage_name)) {
            i = resistance_abilities.cfgs.erase(i);
        } else {
            ++i;
        }
    }
    if(!resistance_abilities.empty()) {
        unit_abilities::effect resist_effect(resistance_abilities,res,false);

res = minimum<int>(resist_effect.get_composite_value(),resistance_abilities.highest("max_value").first);
    }
    return 100 - res;
}
As far as I can see, it _should_ be 100. I'm not sure why you're getting a different result.
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

Maybe I should leave it as it is (without displaying resistance for energy damage). I think that the Guru is the only one unit with this type of damage, so it is not necessary to show everyone how it works.
Creator of Era of Magic

binaryquasar

Post by binaryquasar »

hey inferno a new damage type is definitely not the way to go especially not for such a small thing.. stay with impact instead... it is just better to be compatible with the current damage types.

as always thanks for listening :)
binaryquasar

Post by binaryquasar »

error on mu advancement apparently a unit called mull doesn't exist.. do you have one planned? or do you just want it to amla like normal?

edit did you mean null and just made a typo? :)

anyhow usually mu don't live long enough to advance so I hadn't noticed before. :lol2:
inferno8
Art Contributor

Post by inferno8 »

You're right binaryquasar. Impact rules. :wink:
Yeah, I made a typo with this mull (already fixed).
Version 3.1.3 is ready. Wait a minute... :hmm:
31 March and March is the 3rd month... :?

:shock:

Today is my birthday!!! :lol2:
Creator of Era of Magic

kesnar

Post by kesnar »

Happy Birthday to you
You belong to the zoo
With the monkeys and the Donkeys
And the Elephants tooooooooooooo

Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap Clap

Happy Birthday. :D
Gena

Post by Gena »

:( hi i honestly love this era but when im for the alchemists the fire elementals cant go through lava and their abillity is
wlking in lava basically please do something
binaryquasar

Post by binaryquasar »

the problem is the game counts the lava tile for the same movetype as the chasm tile. so lavahome cannot really work yet though the concept is sound.

a problem alchemists verse enlightened ones... alchemists have very little impact attack the only attack golems are weak against.. I can still easily beat ai but when I check the replays it is always that I simply outplayed the computer.. each golem slaughtered 2 or 3 units taking it down. its not a problem for the priests.. their warriors have such high defense on most terrains that they can avoid the heavy charge damage. The general rule is that to be balanced forces that cost the same amount should be if well played just about equal. because only the water elemental has impact.. and very little in the way of damage it often costs double the price of the golem to destroy it.

In a mirror match golems slaughter each other no trouble there... and the warlocks have the witch for high impact damage.

the solution is to give one of the units (besides water elemental) an impact attack... I am thinking a melee impact for this unit so it still takes damage and doesn't unbalance the other way.

perhaps make the alchemist cost 16 gold and give it a 2 strike impact attack in addition to its normal blade attack. as with the fighters this impact attack should be strong enough to counter golems efficiently while at the same time weak enough that it isn't used against most other units.