Minotaur Faction : The Era Of Strife

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

Ok newer faction tree. Still looking for another Minotaur foot soldier line, and the flyer or swimmer unit.

Apart from that its just adding to the current lines we have really.

EDIT: table removed - see first page
Last edited by Quietus on February 3rd, 2008, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Quietus wrote:Still looking for...the flyer or swimmer unit.
How about a gargoyle? It would seem to fit. Or has it already been suggested?
JW

Post by JW »

Temuchin Khan wrote:
Quietus wrote:Still looking for...the flyer or swimmer unit.
How about a gargoyle? It would seem to fit. Or has it already been suggested?
I wonder where that idea came from. 8)

What happened to the roc idea?
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

JW wrote:
Temuchin Khan wrote: How about a gargoyle? It would seem to fit. Or has it already been suggested?
I wonder where that idea came from. 8)

What happened to the roc idea?
It seemed to get swamped under the idea of including a greek mythological unit. I still like the idea, as it also adds another agical attack.

The Gargoyle sounds cool. And it does fit in witht the faction (or at least i could see it fitting in with the faction).

I think for now though, we need to start thinking of some stats for the current units as well. I have a rough idea for what they should be, but im not very good at ablancing and with no idea what the faction they will be going into will be like its balancing will be like stabbing in the dark. For now (just to make them as playable ASAP), i think there should be an era with the default + minotaurs. It would make balancing ok for now and would allow them to be playable until blueblazes era is playable.
kesnar

Post by kesnar »

Well I don't like two things:

1)The Minotaur King is like someone has hit him in the head and now he is seeing stars. :lol:.

2)The centaur is not a real centaur.I mean a centaur is half human and half hore.Your centaur is like half bull and half horse.

And one question:

What will the shaman be???
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

kesnar wrote:Well I don't like two things:

1)The Minotaur King is like someone has hit him in the head and now he is seeing stars. :lol:.

2)The centaur is not a real centaur.I mean a centaur is half human and half hore.Your centaur is like half bull and half horse.

And one question:

What will the shaman be???
1.Yeah lol, i agree some work is required on his face. Though he is a rather slow minded creature..a bit like a troll if you will ^^

But that will be fixed in the next faction tree update

2.Well, i didnt really want a human form in the faction. The minotaur head therefore fixed this. It would look wierd to have a half human/half horse in a minotaur army. Although a centaur is a half human half horse, im sure theres nothing to say it cant have a beast head. maybe im wrong :|

And the Shaman i hear you ask? lol Pretty much a minotaur in robes with a wooden staff, possible wearing a ram sull as a mask. Im still working on the concept and starting the actual sprite tonight.
Gauteamus
Translator

Post by Gauteamus »

There is one obvious choice for a weakish scout-like flying unit in a faction of brutes loosely based on the Minotaur mythos:

the Icarus --upgrades to--> the Daedalus

In the myth (or at least one version of it), Daedalus and his son Icarus are trapped in the Labyrinthic prison Daedalus has built for the mighty king Minos. In order to escape, Daedalus fashions pairs of wings for himself and his son out of wax and feathers, and warns his son not to fly too close to the sun, lest the wax melt. Of course Icarus is overtaken by the experience of flight, soars too high, and falls to the ground, killing himself.
Well known story, campaign potential, WINGM (Wesnoth Is Not Greek Myth, I tried to make the acronym more MINGW-like, but failed)

Possible unitWML ideas (from a WML illiterate):
  • the Icarus unit looses flight (1 MP most terrains) in daytime
  • but still has lawful alignment? in an otherwise chaotic faction?
  • lava is obviously impassable terrain (is it possible to discern lava from chasm in terms of movetype?)
  • maybe implement some sort of kamikaze mechanism, e.g some way to use flying even in daytime, but at a risk of falling to the ground, getting killed or injured?
Play Dwarf Fortress, where berserker dwarves really make you cry!
My favourite Bach site:
-To hear with eyes belongs to love's fine wit
Jodwin

Post by Jodwin »

What about huge eagles for fliers? Just imagining a minotaur king standing on a cliff with a monstrous, huge lvl 2 eagle resting on his arm gives off some cool vibes.

Well okay, it's pretty silly. I mean, really silly, but so are half bull, half men too so I think it fits. :P
Yes I use windows, too.
Yes I too am aware of what that means.
Yes I'm still gonna use windows too.
cretin

Post by cretin »

actually jodwin we have been discussing that. a Roc is basically one big bad eagle (some mythology put it at the size of mature dragons)
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

cretin wrote:actually jodwin we have been discussing that. a Roc is basically one big bad eagle (some mythology put it at the size of mature dragons)
Indeed and ive decided thats the unit they're going to have :D

lvl 1 Eagle ---> lvl 2 Roc (w/t added lightning attack)

@Gauteamus

Though you're idea is interesting and actually a very good one. I want really to refrain from using human, or human like creatures from this faction (hence why the centaur is half horse half minotaur). Plus i would have though Icarus would ahve been against the Minotaurs not allied with them.
diekil

Post by diekil »

A centaur wouldn't look strange along with minotaurs try it out and see.

Yeah I love rocks especially when phoenixs and roc fight eachother I like both of that birds.

Grtz,

Ogotai
kesnar

Post by kesnar »

@Quietus

Well for the centaur I think that if you want non-human centar then why not put horns like "Heroes 3" Devil(I see that you are a lot inspired form HoMM)?I think that it would be btter this way.

P.S.:Anything you want about greek mythology ask me(I'm greek)
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

kesnar wrote:@Quietus

Well for the centaur I think that if you want non-human centar then why not put horns like "Heroes 3" Devil(I see that you are a lot inspired form HoMM)?I think that it would be btter this way.

P.S.:Anything you want about greek mythology ask me(I'm greek)
Hmm is there anychance you could show me a screen shot, as i havnt actualled played much of HOMM. My main influence us actually from Warlords Battle Cry. Im taking a break from spriting atm. Ands this time it is a real break lol, ive got just too much revision and coursework to do, to spend hours on the computer editing and drawing sprites. But i assure you that as of this time next week i should be able to get back to it.

Im currrently making the Roc and Eagle. Almost finnished the Roc, and the Eagle shouldnt be too hard to do.
cretin

Post by cretin »

heroes 3 you say? well im having issues putting up pic's so ill just give you a website.
http://www.heroesofmightandmagic.com/he ... erno.shtml

should be at the very bottom of the page.

EDIT: meant if you scroll all the way down bottom ^^
Last edited by cretin on January 22nd, 2008, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kesnar

Post by kesnar »

Emmm not exactly the bottom, this is arch devil.
I thoughtabout devil.