Remember Era of Races? well its coming back.

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Noy
Inactive Developer

Re: hmmmm

Post by Noy »

illcwaticando wrote:please leave a list of what sprite icons i must change.
WTF? First you stole the images and then you tried to claim them as your own. Now you have the temerity to ask us to find out which images of yours are copyrighted for you?

What nerve. I'm half a mind to just close this thread right now.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
illcwaticando

oh really?

Post by illcwaticando »

i did not realise that the icon were from warcraft and if i did i would not have used them.
the reason i brought up that the sprites were used in rpg maker is because thats were i got them from, a rpg maker resource site i did not realise they were from other games i tohught they were sprites made for rpg maker that any one could use, and for the most part they are all edited , yer the icons arnt but i tohught they were user made content for rpg maker as i already stated and for this i apoligise , i was not trying to insult you in anyway i just was unaware that they were from a published game. as i got alot of the sprites from the sprite resource site im am not sure which sprites you are talking about.
illcwaticando

Post by illcwaticando »

1, i never stole anything!!! i was under the impression they were not copyrighted sprites because they were in a user content on a spriting site for rpg maker.
2, i never claimed them as my own eva, the only sprites i claimed as my own were the ones i done , and when players asked me about the sprites i said that alot were frankinstiens from sprites on a rpg maker site.
3, im completly willing to remove the material that has caused this and apoligise for not looking into the source of my edits better.
4, i did not say that the oblivion era has used sprites from another game, it is solely based on the oblivion world , the factions are all factions from the game and the units are all units from the game. i dont understand how they can use that, but i can use full edits of other sprites (that dont look like what they started as.)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Well, considering that it'll probably take a while for you to sort out which images you can actually use and which not, it should be removed from the server for the time being. You can upload it again when you've sorted that stuff out.
illcwaticando

agreed

Post by illcwaticando »

i totally agree with what zookeeper has said and apoligise for this, any help with what needs to be changed would be appreciated.
also am i to understand that frankinstines are exceptable aslong as they no longer clearly look like what they started as?
illcwaticando

ok its gone

Post by illcwaticando »

ok i have removed it , im sorry if i caused any problems for you guys, and thank you for bringing this to my attention.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: agreed

Post by zookeeper »

illcwaticando wrote:also am i to understand that frankinstines are exceptable aslong as they no longer clearly look like what they started as?
Well, they shouldn't look like what they were made of at all, if the source material is something you don't really have legal rights to use. If no one would recognize the image or what it was based on, then it's of course practically ok. The best guideline to follow would be to think whether anyone could realistically see that it's a frankenstein of this or that specific image. Of course at that point you're already redrawing or changing most of the image in some way. So better to just not frankenstein from copyrighted images in the first place and then wonder whether it's mangled enough.

That said, it's probably better to not trust sites which just provide "free" or "free to use" images. Content that's under the GPL or public domain is safe; and if something is either of those, it's usually quite clearly stated somewhere on the page.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

the reason i brought up that the sprites were used in rpg maker is because thats were i got them from, a rpg maker resource site i did not realise they were from other games i tohught they were sprites made for rpg maker that any one could use, and for the most part they are all edited , yer the icons arnt but i tohught they were user made content for rpg maker as i already stated and for this i apoligise , i was not trying to insult you in anyway i just was unaware that they were from a published game. as i got alot of the sprites from the sprite resource site im am not sure which sprites you are talking about.

1, i never stole anything!!! i was under the impression they were not copyrighted sprites because they were in a user content on a spriting site for rpg maker.
It's an understandable misconception for someone to think that most content on "a spriting site for homebrew RPGs" is stuff released into the public domain by authors simply making art for the community at large, out of the goodwill of their heart. Sad to say, it ain't so. It turns out that greater than 90% of the content on sites like that is actually ripped directly from commercial SNES games (or similar). It's a vast underworld of stolen content, which has only survived because it's so poorly organized and used in games, that commercial videogame companies have never felt threatened enough to sue.

Why is this the case?
- There's no open-source community/ethos in the art world, sadly. People create something, and then somehow think they're entitled to a reward of some kind. Especially those who are able to do decent work often end up being too egotistical to spend their time on "public service". Either that, or they feel that they "own" what they've created, and desire to control it to the point of stifling it.
- Those who are actually good usually get recruited into directly working on actual videogame projects, rather than working on random stuff and hoping it will get used by some videogame. Usually, the whole point of making this stuff is because this person has a pipe-dream of some videogame they'd like to make, so joining an actual team that's working on one is a dream come true.
- Working on sprite art usually has bits of "fun" intersticed with long periods of boring drudgery. This, in itself, is a huge part of why Neoriceisgood never bothers to animate most of the wesnoth things he creates a base image for. By extension, this means that most people creating stuff for a free game site like that will never have the patience or insight to sit down and churn out the many boring parts of game content.

It's a shame, but my direct advice to you is - don't ever trust anything on those RPGMaker chipset sites. It's pretty much -all- pirated from commercial games. If you're really into videogames, and have always dreamed of making them, I'd go so far as to suggest doing what I did - learn to draw that kind of stuff yourself. It takes about four years to go from zero to hero, and it's [censored] hard, but it's a very rewarding hobby.
Brutorix

Post by Brutorix »

What do you want me to do while EoR is offline?

I assume you can work out which pictures need replacing and fix them soon, so do you want me to continue to make maps and develop the campaign's storyline while you sort that out?

My internet's been funny recently so I won't be online too often over the next week or so but I'd like some light shed on where this is going, I hope you're still willing to continue.

I should also point out this is by no means the first era to jack the Warcraft III weapon images - I notice them every now and again all over uploaded content (though maybe not as numerously) and yes they should be replaced.

I'm pretty sure that the Oblivion era hasn't got much copyrighted art, but the names of the era/units/factions probably are. I believe that that's just as bad anyway.

I also noticed a LOTR mod - it may already be removed but that should be pulled as well whether or not they've stolen art.
Imperial Era Contributor,
Check out the Imperial Era Forums
Brutorix

Post by Brutorix »

If this does fall through do you want to work together to make a campaign with the default/extended era using our current plan?
Imperial Era Contributor,
Check out the Imperial Era Forums
illcwaticando

Post by illcwaticando »

i will be remaking all the sprites i got from other sites , at first they may not be good but i will redo them as i get better, i think for now yer it might be an idea to use the story line we have to make a campaign for EE until i get this going, ill rerelease my era one race at a time again redesigning the feel of the races aswell , because i agree with what lost said, the races became too related to each other.
so i will work on shadows and have them up soon followed by the summons.
quick question though is there a problem with any of the sprites for the kobolds?
thank you for being supportive people.
niamo2

Re: ERA OF RACES . (new era seven races complete)

Post by niamo2 »

Hello. I played the era of races and I liked it a lot, but where is it right now? Nobody else seems to have it, probably because it's not in the add-ons page any more. When is it going to be back? I have some feedback, but I'm not sure if the era of races even exists any more. Is it coming back any time soon?

Thanks,
niamo2
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

The era is probably dead, there where no post in the last 10 month :wink:
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
niamo2

Post by niamo2 »

Hopefully not- it was a very good era. But it just read all the previous posts and therefore I understand why it is not there right now.
illcwaticando

Post by illcwaticando »

ladies and gentlemen i am back
(pause for effect)
this era shall be dead no longer i am getting started on it asap
any help or ideas would be good.

to explain my long absence im now a father of a beautiful girl and i have moved across australia twice as well as had my computer with all my wesnoth work stolen during the first move, having just got a new computer im ready to begin again lol

i also found a cd with my original workings of just the shadows on it so that will be my starting block, any help would be nice.
also to the administartor guys if you can remember the shadows were fine right?

long live era of races!!!

As you posted in here, there is no need to start a new thread to say pretty much the same thing. If you want, change the title of this thread by editing your first post to show you are continuing work. -Turuk