The Trial of the Dragonmasters Era

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragonchampion

The Trial of the Dragonmasters Era

Post by Dragonchampion »

Help! I am trying to create my own era based on the book I'm writing, and I've tried everyhing, but I can get it to work! I am using most of the original images and unit attacks nd everything, but I cant get it to work! All I want to do Is rename most of the units! Help... :(

P.S. I want to add on my data, but I cnt figure it out! Plz tell me how to do it!

Removed multiple smilies, exclamation marks, and excess of caps. -- Shadow Master
Last edited by Dragonchampion on November 7th, 2007, 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Make a zip file containing the various files you want to show us and attach it to your post.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
the_revenant

Post by the_revenant »

This should really go into the WML Workshop, as Faction And Era Conribs, is mainly for discussion of your faction, ideas etc. Also if you do wish for people to help you, you will need to give more information. My first impression, is that you have changed the name, but not the unit id (that is if you are editing exisiting units). However you will need to be more specific if you want anyone to help you.
Someone got to know me well, drowned me in their wishing well, making mistakes, we all do, worst of mine was trusting you a stranger
Dragonchampion

OK!

Post by Dragonchampion »

Heres what I hae on it. Thanks! And I am amzed to be able to talk to avid posters as you! Thanks for the time!
Attachments
TOD.zip
(140.69 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

the_revenant

Post by the_revenant »

Ok what is not working with it? Is there a warning message about missing tags when verifying unit cache?

How do you plan on using the era? Distribution? or for your own fun?
Someone got to know me well, drowned me in their wishing well, making mistakes, we all do, worst of mine was trusting you a stranger
Dragonchampion

Ok

Post by Dragonchampion »

Im using it for personal use, and maybe even distribution if you think its a good Idea. I may not be as high ranked as you :P , revenant, or anyone else here, but I have plenty of ideas! (I don't mean for it to sound mean, Its supposed to be a casual sentence :wink: )I am writing a book, as you guessed, and I want to turn it into a full-fledged game. As for the error message, it keeps saying Invalid user tag or tag missing or something.

the_revenant

Re: Ok

Post by the_revenant »

Dragonchampion wrote:I may not be as high ranked as you :P , revenant
hah good one, there are plenty of higher ranking members on the forum than me, for i am just a corpse.

Might i suggest you start by adding your two factions into the default era, as it is for your own use. All you will therefore need to do is edit multiplayer.cfg in wesnoth/data, including your two factions. Then add your faction.cfg's into the faction folder in wesnoth/data. Do the same with the unit.cfg's only in units. And as long as the coding is right, it should work. As you appear to have edited existing codes, the only reason it might not be working may be due to spelling errors. Check which .cfg is faulty and edit appropriately.
Dragonchampion

Thanks!

Post by Dragonchampion »

Thanks, I'm going to try that. How about giving it out to all of you? And, I want to create a campaign to resemble my book, so I will work on that once I get that finished, if I can :? . They seriously need to think about making a "Making Units for dummies" and "Making Campaigns for dummies" section. :lol:

P.S.: I think of you as superior to me because of your supriority in coding and time with wesnoth :wink: . I am hoping to become a well-known coder and era manufaturer. :)

Dragonchampion

????

Post by Dragonchampion »

It doesn't work- It says

Error Loading Game configuration files: 'Missing closing tag for tag multiplayer_side at data/multiplayer/factions/drakes-default.cfg:2 included from data/multiplayer/eras.cfg:20 included from data/multiplayer/_main.cfg:17 included from data/_main.cfg:7 ar data/multiplayer/factions/drakes-default.cfg:10 included from data/multiplayer/eras.cfg:20 included from data/multiplayer/_main.cfg:17 included from data/_main.cfg:7' (The game will now exit)

Ah! Why won't it work? :x

Removed multiple smilies, exclamation marks, and excess of caps. -- Shadow Master
Last edited by Dragonchampion on November 7th, 2007, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DDR

Post by DDR »

Check that you have:
a) closed the tag
b) closed all the quotes

There may be other reasons, but those two are most common.
Dragonchampion

DANG IT! WORK!!!!!

Post by Dragonchampion »

It stopped doing that at loading, but now its putting ??? on the leaders when I want to pick one! Help! :x

Removed multiple smilies and exclamation marks -- Shadow Master
Last edited by Dragonchampion on November 7th, 2007, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Please try not to use multiple exclamation marks and smilies in a row. That will only make people go far away from you. I removed them from your last posts.
P.S.: I think of you as superior to me because of your supriority in coding and time with wesnoth :wink: . I am hoping to become a well-known coder and era manufaturer. :)
That does not make sense. Some of the elders are not necessarily the greatest contributors, unless they have a Forum Regular, Developer or Translator, or anything else, title above their avatars, below their user names.

Don't consider all this discouragement. I think you are a nice fellow that has just to control his/her temperament. Even I had to learn that...

EDIT: era manufacturer? Oh, people first 'build' units, and now are starting to manufacture time spans... I'm confused. :P
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dragonchampion

k.

Post by Dragonchampion »

Ok, Shadow. I just think of everyone else as superor than I, and I said era manufacturer because I didn't know what to put. I am a hopeless noob, and want to someday be able to call myself a contributor to Wesnoth, and a famous campaign and era designer. :roll:

the_revenant

Post by the_revenant »

Dragonchampion wrote:Ok, Shadow. I just think of everyone else as superor than I, and I said era manufacturer because I didn't know what to put. I am a hopeless noob, and want to someday be able to call myself a contributor to Wesnoth, and a famous campaign and era designer. :roll:
Just like to add, making an era is not a walk in the park, it takes alot of work (the same can be said with campaigns). I would work on one era making it the best it can be, rather than manufacturing (as you called it, which to me sounds like you wish to make multiple eras) multiple eras, that dont really get very far. Im sure with practise you could make a very good era. So dont give up, and be prepared to put a lot of time into it =]
jdsampayo

Re: k.

Post by jdsampayo »

Dragonchampion wrote:and a famous campaign and era designer.
So, you are working for fame? :(
You want to be a wesnoth pop star? :lol:

Sorry for that :P. Now seriously, it's very hard to make a complete era, inclusive to make a single faction is hard. I will recommend you that start first trying to help in mainline with some sprites, or in other eras that are functional. That way you learn a lot.

Other way, If you start with an era now, I'm sure that you will need help, and it's hard to find people to help in Eras that have just created.

Well, that is my humble opinion, cheers.
In quechquixcauh maniz cemanahuatl, ayc pollihuiz yn itenyo, yn itauhca in Mexico-Tenochtitlan
As long as the world exists, no one will forget the glory and honor of Mexico-Tenochtitlan - Culhuacan memorial